Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No GPS receiver detected message every 10 miles or so
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No GPS receiver detected message every 10 miles or so

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEELEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: No GPS receiver detected message every 10 miles or so Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest why I keep loosing the GPS signal after I have travelled 10 miles or so. Kit is a Medion PPC200 (MD40600) running Navigon 5.2.6 (for win 2003) with POI Warner installed. I have the Medion registry patch installed, which resolved problems with the original software. At regular intervals, the map stops updating and the GPS icon shows no signal. All other map functions continue to work. There is plenty of memory still free. Connections to the Royaltec receiver and power supply seem stable. The only way to get the signal back is to close the program and restart it again. We are then OK for another 10 miles or so when the process is repeated. I have only had this problem since I updated to this software, changed from a 512 MB to 2 GB Dane-Elec SD card and replaced the 12v power supply connector all at about the same time. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? It could take a considerable time to systematically check each variable I have introduced.
BEELEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered to add - On a number of occassions, restarting asks for the registration code to be entered again as though the program had just been installed. Does this tend to rule out GPS receiver wiring connection problems?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systematic testing will need to be done anyway!

Is it where you locate the GPS receiver? Does your car have an athermic windscreen? What happens if you get everything going whilst your car is at home and stationary - does it still fail? (Rule out marginal reception conditions).

I would suggest going back to the originally supplied (and assumed working correctly) configuration. Then change ONE thing at a time - giving it a good tryout after each change.

Thinking aloud though... if it is freezing at a regular time (which would equal distance if you are moving consistently) it could be that something is running out of resource (memory et al). Have you got another app than can use the GPS reciver (something that shows status or sentences will do). Run this instead of Navigon one the journey and see if the same thing happens. This would rule out things like poor reception, problems with the GPS to PDA comms.

Phil
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second update came as I was typing my first reply. :D

It sounds like there is a problem with Navigon/PDA rather than the GPS unit - but running another app for a day would help diagnose this.

I would remove Navigon and re-install from scratch - testing at each stage (i.e. before any upgrades are applied).
BEELEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks philpugh, There is no problem with the basic setup/conditions, the PDA has worked with Medion Navigator for 3 years. I stop all other applications running before starting. Often reset to get a clean boot.

After the problems start, I can look at system memory and this seems OK, plenty free. Other applications work OK indefinately. I did have a problem with loss of signal in Dec but this was cured by replacing the power lead (or so I thought). The lead coming out of the 12v plug was showing the insulated wires where the protector had parted company due to the curley lead not stretching easily enough. The plug was sealed so I could not check the actual internal connections but since a replacement under warranty seemed to have solved the problem, I assume this is no longer to blame, especially since the registration code seems to get lost as well. I have now resited the connector socket to stop this happening again. I have tested the unit in a different car and it still failed repeatedly.

I shall try reinstallation again as a first step and see how it goes. I was just trying to check if anyone else had hit a compatability problem, there was a hint that someone had a similar problem about a year ago, solved by a patch from Navigon, but the link no longer exists. I am not sure if this patch is the one issued by Medion which solved similar problems with the original software then the PDA was new. Anyway, thanks for your help
BEELEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am coming to the conclusion that the multi-way connector to the PDA is where the problem originates. The power lead was replaced, which seemed to solve the problem initially. On examining the connector, now that the problem has returned, the metal fingers do not sit in the grooves and presumably make intermittent contact. The PDA side looks OK. Medion Navigator 4.3 seems to be able to continue searching and resume once connection is established. The question is does Navigon 5.2.6 stop looking for the GPS receiver once contact is lost or the external power supply is interrupted? Can anyone comment on this suggestion please?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: