Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510 Problems.... Freezing & POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510 Problems.... Freezing & POIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opera
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a garmin 510c and after reading this thread it may explain why whenever I get to a certain area in Bolton, my system freezes. Next time I go I will take more notice.
sybill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,everybody, please help me!!!

I`ve just bought a C510 streetpilot and during the time when I was updating the software, it`s freezed my PC and itself too.

so I restart both of them, but my Garmin can`t able to start. THe screen is allways flashing, and it says: loader loading... or loading software.
I tried many times the reset button but the probelm is always the same.

Unfortunately, my PC cannot able to recognize garmin until that time.

so I would be so happy if somebody could help me.

Thanx

8O
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sybill wrote:
when I was updating the software, it`s freezed my PC and itself too.

This is a different symptom altogether and belongs in its own topic...

The only suggestion I've got (short of returning it to Garmin), is to get hold of an SD card and reader. Repeat the firmware upgrade and this time select the SD card. You can't use the Webupdater to do this, you need the downloadable .EXE version of the firmware updater. When it's copied the files, put the SD card in the Garmin and power-up. It might then perform the firmware upgrade from the card instead - it will just depend on which it checks first....It takes about 30seconds.
sybill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only suggestion I've got (short of returning it to Garmin), is to get hold of an SD card and reader.

Thanx for your answer, but I haven`t got any SD card from Garmin....

What do you think? Is this the only way to solve the problem? and what about warranty? How long does it take?

Crying or Very sad
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin have sneaked out a new C510/C530/C550 firmware ... see this thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52310

I cannot reproduce the hangs and crashes under V5.20 This implies they've known about this issue for a while (unless they dropped everything and rushed off to fix my problem Wink )

I wonder if I'll ever get an official response?

The 24bit Netto.BMP does not display at all under V5.20 - you just get the grey 'bullet' instead. I've noticed some other curious bitmap handling as well, but I suppose foibles are easier to live with than crashes. I may even turn the 'Garmin Lock' back on, if I'm not going to have to keep entering my PIN number while driving. Exclamation

These are the changes they admit to:

Changes made from version 4.10 to 5.20:

Improved Traffic Interface
Added Russian locale
Added Bulgarian, Lithuanian, Brazilian Portuguese, Serbian, Romanian pre-recorded voice support
Fixed address search issue
Fixed problem introduced in version 4.00 that could cause files on the device to get corrupt.

That last one sounds intriguing...
johnf89
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
Garmin have sneaked out a new C510/C530/C550 firmware ... see this thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52310

I cannot reproduce the hangs and crashes under V5.20 This implies they've known about this issue for a while (unless they dropped everything and rushed off to fix my problem Wink )

I wonder if I'll ever get an official response?

The 24bit Netto.BMP does not display at all under V5.20 - you just get the grey 'bullet' instead. I've noticed some other curious bitmap handling as well, but I suppose foibles are easier to live with than crashes. I may even turn the 'Garmin Lock' back on, if I'm not going to have to keep entering my PIN number while driving. Exclamation

These are the changes they admit to:

Changes made from version 4.10 to 5.20:

Improved Traffic Interface
Added Russian locale
Added Bulgarian, Lithuanian, Brazilian Portuguese, Serbian, Romanian pre-recorded voice support
Fixed address search issue
Fixed problem introduced in version 4.00 that could cause files on the device to get corrupt.

That last one sounds intriguing...

I've just downloaded the new firmware. Now it is not just Netto, its quite a few different symbols that are just grey 'bullets'. Also, all my extra POI's (from MaFt) have all changed symbols. (i.e. Macdonalds are represented by castles. B & Q are now 30mph speed limit signs, and so on. I'm just going to delete these extras until I hear its been sorted. I'm really considering taking my unit back and getting a refund if I can. It's the 3rd one I'm on. Halfords have been good enough to exchange the units each time, but as yet I havent requested a refund. I think I'll give it one more week. :x
Swebster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There I was, thinking that this update would sort all the probs and now what have I ended up with.....

I loaded the new firmware - the unit froze after the load had taken place - the computer wouldn't recognise it... So, I went for the reset button - all seemed to be looking gd - got to a screen where I had to calibrate screen by touching dots in different positions and then went to normal screen. All seemed ok, but must have been a little slack in my calibration as I couldn't work the on screen buttons in the bottom right corner. Thinking that another reset would do the trick, I went for the button again....

This time the unit went to the select location option (without calibrating). After sometime it decided that 'No detailed maps found that support routing. The Streetpilot cannot be used without them.' Only the volume and on/off button work now....

Garmin, we have a problem....

Any suggestions.... I did make a copy of everything that was on the unit when I first connected it to the computer, and have compared these files to the ones that are currently on the unit. I can only see 1 additional file on the unit - the update that I have just put on. Should I try copying the original files onto the unit? Or try something else?

I know this isn't directly related to the thread title, but it seems that this has come about after trying to resolve the original issue....

Many thanks
hodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that i'm having the same issues as johnf89 on my unit too, all icons are wrong - and that's after reinstalling all POIs... Confused
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swebster wrote:
After sometime it decided that 'No detailed maps found that support routing. The Streetpilot cannot be used without them.' Only the volume and on/off button work now....

If you hold your finger on that message long enough, it'll probably clear and say "Can't unlock maps"...which is not a whole lot better...

I think you need to create a GMAPPROM.UNL file in the \Garmin directory. You need your 25digit unlock code from the yellow voucher, but without the dashes. Something like: "ABCDE-FEGHI-JKLMN-OPQRS-TUVWX" - enter it as ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnf89 wrote:
Also, all my extra POI's (from MaFt) have all changed symbols. (i.e. Macdonalds are represented by castles. B & Q are now 30mph speed limit signs

Yeah, that's the sort of thing...I held my finger down on a Gulf petrol station that I didn't recognise and before my eyes, it turned into a KFC Rolling Eyes
Swebster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Phil. I've got passed the 'No detailed maps found....' and the next screen says that the maps cannot be unlocked... as you suggested.

I've found my yellow sheet, and have unlock code at the ready. How do I go about creating the GMAPPROM.UNL file? I'm happy with the no dashes bit. Which application should i use? How should it be saved etc? Apologies for being computer stupid.

Looking at the other postings here it seems that Garmin still have some work to do here. I had crashes on mine over the w/e - after Garmin told me to reload the PGPSW camera database.... Haven't had time to call them yet....

[/quote]
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swebster wrote:
How do I go about creating the GMAPPROM.UNL file? I'm happy with the no dashes bit. Which application should i use? How should it be saved etc?

Notepad should be fine - don't use Word or Wordpad, because they'll add a load of of their overhead that'll stop it working.

The idea is to create GMAPPROM.UNL in the same directory (\Garmin) as GMAPPROM.IMG on the C510. So if you know that your C510 appears as drive G: (for example), you can click "START" and then "Run..." -- enter
"notepad g:\garmin\gmapprom.unl" in the Open dialogue that appears.

When you click OK, Notepad should open and say :-

"Notepad cannot find the g:\garmin\gmapprom.unl file, do you want to create a new file?" ... which you do.

Then type your 25 characters in and click "File | Exit" . Notepad should then say "The text in g:\garmin\gmapprom.unl" has changed. Do you want to save the changes?" - which again, you do.

(swap G: in my example for your actual drive letter)
Swebster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Phil - all sorted..... :D Nice one

Just looked at a couple of POIs to see how it processes the symbology - Ikea shows up as Sainsburys.... Guess we're all in the boat now.

I'm going to call Garmin first thing and see what they have to say.... Am then away for a while, so will post Garmin's answer and then wait to see what happens over the next few weeks. Cheers!
Swebster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more question....

The screen is still poorly calibrated... Is there any way I can re-calibrate the screen easily?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swebster wrote:
The screen is still poorly calibrated... Is there any way I can re-calibrate the screen easily?

Turn the unit off
    Press and hold Power switch for about 1 minute until the calibration screen appears.
    Follow the on-screen instructions

That one's on Page 24 of the manual - so this answer is chargeable :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: