Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BC-307 and a Toshiba e740... no fix!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BC-307 and a Toshiba e740... no fix!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: BC-307 and a Toshiba e740... no fix! Reply with quote

Hello all, please be gentle to this newbie! Wink

I recently got a BC-307 off eBay (sheesh, I'll never do that again, I actually won a Holux GM-270 but that's another story) and tried it in my Toshiba e740 PDA.

Using the GPS Info software provided, the CF GPS shows up in COM1 and when I start up the GPS I get strings and strings of GPS gibberish, but I cannot get a fix. I've even sat outside in the park next door in the open for fifteen minutes waiting for a fix but to no avail.

Just wondering if this is a (1) e740 PDA issue (2) incorrect settings on my part or (3) a dodgy unit.

many, many thanks in advance

Rob
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet on (2) - the CF card is not normally on COM1: Rather on COM5: or so - check out the other ports that your PocketPC offers.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
RadioDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try tonight.

But when using the GPS Info app, I do a scan of the COM ports and COM1 is the only place the CF GPS turns up. I'll try the other ports tonight.

Thanks

Rob
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install Winfast Navigator (which is available via the Download pages of this site) and insert the card with that program running, it'll tell you what port number has been created.

I believe the e740 is one of the Toshibas that lacks a serial port and instead has USB host capabilities. It's therefore possible that COM1: is not already used by the serial port (and is therefore available for allocation to your GPS) - unlike the situation with most Pocket PCs.

David
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiodog

yours got lost in the post as well did it :o

What mapping software are you using - in tomtom gps I just selected the holux 270 cf unit and cf generic port (you probably have to select com1) and I got a 3d fix in less than five minutes (I plugged it in and left it to get a coffee and returned and it had a 3d fix).

It actually showed the first sat (greyed out) about 10 seconds after I plugged the card in. Due to the delay in the holux arriving I've subsequently got a haicom bt unit and the global sat performed as well as this whilst on the dash of my car with no external antenna as the haicom does with an external antenna.

In my ltd use of this card it looks really good to me. (Ive used it in an ipaq 3850 and ipaq 2210)

Ian
RadioDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yours got lost in the post as well did it

Hmmm, anyone else got stories about www.dconnex.com/Techworldsg on eBay?

But anyways, thanks for all your help, I finally got it working. I just had to plug in the external antenna. Doh. I'd always assumed that the CF receiver would work on its own (even if it wont work as well as with the antenna). The manual mentions using the CF unit without the antenna but I haven't been able to get a fix without it. What's the use of a handheld GPS solution with a huge 6 foot cabled antenna dangling off it???

Are there any CF receivers that will work without an external antenna? Would the Holux GM-270 work any better than the crappy Globalsat BC-307 I got? Can I do anything to the BC-307 to get it working better without the antenna?

Quote:
I believe the e740 is one of the Toshibas that lacks a serial port and instead has USB host capabilities. It's therefore possible that COM1...

Yes, it does show up on COM1 for all those e740 owners out there.

But thank you everyone for you advice and GPS wisdom.

Rob
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm realy surprised about needing the external antenna - I got 10 sats without it.

What happens when you stand in the open with a fix and then unplug the external antenna?

as for techworldg I would probably buy from them again if I wasn't in a hurry and the price was right - I only paid £43.50 inc shipping plus £7 at the post office for the duty and collection fee.
RadioDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm realy surprised about needing the external antenna - I got 10 sats without it.

Nope not a sausage without the antenna. It's really cheesing me off. I'm wondering if I have a faulty unit. I've stood for upward of 5 minutes in a park with nothing between me and the sky and no fix was made!

Grrrrr! :x I might one of those Holux CF receiver or a Bluetooth unit, know anywhere reliable?

Rob
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the haicom unit from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk.

Note : I cannot get the haimcom to work with my 2210 in CF mode (works with my 3850) but no problems using bt.

Cheers

Ian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there's problems with RF interference between some Toshiba Pocket PCs and some CompactFlash GPSes.

I have a similar issue with a laptop - my CompactFlash GPS card in one of the PC Card slots won't pick up any usable signals (indeed, bringing the same GPS card in my iPAQ alongside the laptop when it's on leaves me with, at the most, two satellites fixed and more usually zero).

The best answer is to use an external antenna.

David
RadioDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there's problems with RF interference between some Toshiba Pocket PCs and some CompactFlash GPSes.

Doh! I think I did hear about this, but I assumed it was a WiFi issue. Am I also correct to assume this problem will plague me whatever brand of CF GPS I use?

*sigh*

Rob
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is indeed an interference issue then yes this is likely to be a probelm with all CF format GPS receivers. I tested the BC-307 and found it had very good reception performance without the antenna. It is always possible that the internal patch antenna in your unit is faulty but you would need another non-Toshiba PPC to confirm this.
RadioDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is always possible that the internal patch antenna in your unit is faulty but you would need another non-Toshiba PPC to confirm this.

I thought this might be the case. I tried inserting the CF receiver in my firewire CF card reader on my Mac to check but, as I thought, nothing happened. I'll try and get my hand on a PC notebook or another PDA soon to check.

Another problem could be that the CF slot in my e740 is underpowered or RFI/EMI as reported in the Brighhand http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97249&highlight=GPS forums. Time to get out the aluminium foil!

Grrrr I'm a bit over my e740!

Rob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: