Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone Reply with quote

Hello. I wonder if you could help me. I have recently purchased a Nuvi 660 from globalpositioningsystems. This came with your Speed Camera database already installed.

I have just downloaded your POIs and I now can't see the camers database entries in Custom POI, I can only see the POI categories. I also can't see the Garmin Cyclops Camera Data base.

Please would you let me know how I can get these to appear again. Thanks
City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that when ever you install POI's you over write any previously installed ones, so you need to do them all in 1 hit.

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POILoader application will wipe previously installed POI when you upload more POI to the device. To get the camera warning POI back on the device you will have to download them and re-install all the POI files you want in one go. I find it best to keep a single folder on the PC with all my POI files in, update this folder then install the POI using POILoader - Mike
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this suggestion. I don't know if this is true or not...please can someone from Pocket GPSWorld comment and also advise me how I can get my Pocket GPSWorld Speed Camera and Garmin Cyclops data back. I've only had my unit a week.

There was no instruction on the POI download page about this problem.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a problem caused by Pocket GPS World. They supplied the POIs which you downloaded to your computer. I imagine this worked perfectly well.

It's during the upload to your device via POILoader (software provided by Garmin) that any existing POIs are overwritten, therefore it's Garmin who've caused the 'problem' and they should issue the warning.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told to use Garmin's POI loader by Pocket GPS World. As a new user how can I be expected to know that this would overwrite my Speed Camera info?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone Reply with quote

Nick_Russell wrote:
I have just downloaded your POIs and I now can't see the camers database entries in Custom POI, I can only see the POI categories. I also can't see the Garmin Cyclops Camera Data base.

Please would you let me know how I can get these to appear again.

Surely, you couldn't "see the Cyclops database", as such? It may have been active and visible in map view, but I don't think it was this data you were seeing in the 'Custom POI' list. Or was it identifiable some other way?

The sample Cyclops data (on my C510, at any rate) lived in '\Garmin\Poi\CyclopsUK082906Sample.gpi' ... whereas POI Loader only overwrites \Garmin\Poi\Poi.gpi' . In your case, Poi.gpi initially contained PGPSW camera locations and you've overwritten it with the general points-of-interest data. But your Cyclops stuff hasn't been overwritten. It's possible that 'Proximity Alerts' are not enabled for it though (sorry, don't know where abouts in the Nuvi menu that is set). [If you subscribe to Garmin's camera updates, the cyclops file becomes '\Garmin\Poi\safety_camera_UnitedKingdom.gpi', and acquires a matching .UNL file containing a key.]

Because you're likely to update the Camera locations far more frequently than the general POI's, I've uploaded the general ones first and then renamed POI.GPI to something else. Then everytime you run POILoader in future, to updates the Cameras, you can't accidentally overwrite them. The other approach suggested (ie downloading everything every time) has the drawback of taking longer - personal preference though!.

::caveat:: I have a C510, not a Nuvi so this may not be accurate - from what I've read though, I suspect it is.
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:

The sample Cyclops data (on my C510, at any rate) lived in '\Garmin\Poi\CyclopsUK082906Sample.gpi' ... whereas POI Loader only overwrites \Garmin\Poi\Poi.gpi'

Sorry my mistake. This is how my Nuvi 660 works as well. I couldn't see the Garmin camera data as a POI but on my Nuvi 660 I can see it in the POI directory as you say.

PhilHornby wrote:

Because you're likely to update the Camera locations far more frequently than the general POI's, I've uploaded the general ones first and then renamed POI.GPI to something else. Then everytime you run POILoader in future, to updates the Cameras, you can't accidentally overwrite them.

This sounds like a good idea. Just so I understand, do I rename my current POI to something like"non camera POI" and then use the Garmin installer to just add the speed camers POIs?

Will both POIs then show up in Custom POIs?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone Reply with quote

Quote:
"This sounds like a good idea. Just so I understand, do I rename my current POI to something like"non camera POI" and then use the Garmin installer to just add the speed camers POIs?

Will both POIs then show up in Custom POIs?

Yes, the filename is academic, so long as it has a ".GPI" extension - the filename itself never shows up on the Garmin display.

The POI's from each of the files and any found on the SD card in the \Garmin\Poi directory are merged into one list. In the case of the latter, you are given an option to copy them to the internal memory, when they are discovered. The order in which the files are discovered, sets the order in which the POI's appear in the list. This is all a little 'clonky' but you should be able to come up with the scheme that works for you, until such time as Garmin get the POI Loader sorted out.
phee272
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone Reply with quote

Nick_Russell wrote:
Hello. I wonder if you could help me. I have recently purchased a Nuvi 660 from globalpositioningsystems. This came with your Speed Camera database already installed.

Please would you let me know how I can get these to appear again. Thanks

alright mate sorry to you again i've just got my girlfriend a road angel 6000 can you please tell me if this model comes with traffic info? or if it doesn't can traffic info be put on this model? thanks again mate kind regards peter
m4xwl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just used the tip of changing the filename on my c510 to avoid overwriting general POIs with camera dbase. But how can you get the c510 to only alert on the camera's and not at every Burger King you pass? (I'm assuming it will now do this). You still only get one choice showing in the Proximity Alerts screen (Custom POIs). Any way to treat the pois differently??
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4xwl wrote:
But how can you get the c510 to only alert on the camera's and not at every Burger King you pass? (I'm assuming it will now do this).

It will be OK, if you used the "express" mode in POILoader; only the Speed Cameras will have Alerts. When built from CSV files, (such as the Burger King ones) speed alerts only get set in POI.GPI for particular predefined POI names (things with @30, @40, Redlight, Gatso etc). You can override this by using the manual option, but as you say, it's probably not often desirable Smile

The POILoader 2.4.0 Beta version changes things, because it can build POI.GPI from .GPX files, in which you can be a lot more flexible. They're taking their time sorting it out though - I sent another 2 bugs reports today Wink
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloaded POIs now speed camera database gone Reply with quote

phee272 wrote:
alright mate sorry to you again i've just got my girlfriend a road angel 6000 can you please tell me if this model comes with traffic info?
No, it doesn't
Quote:
or if it doesn't can traffic info be put on this model?
My gut response is that no it can't be added, and this seems to be confirmed by Road Angel's own website. I have, however, found at least 1 online shop claiming "TMC optional" - but can find no information to back up this claim from Road Angel directly. In fact, I think at one point Road Angel themselves may have said "TMC optional", but if such an accessory exists, I've no idea how much it is, or where you could buy it - I suggest this is a question for Road Angel directly.
m4xwl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: c510 frrezing after loading POI's from garminpoi Reply with quote

After adding POIS along with speed cameras, c510 now freezing or switching off at certain points in the road. e.g. M8 eastwrds from M77 join. This is repeating at exactly same spot. Have taken POIs off and just put speed cameras back on and hey presto, its ok again!! Anyone got info on why? Suspect one of the csv files or bmp files is corrupted and when it comes on screen the c510 chucks it.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: c510 frrezing after loading POI's from garminpoi Reply with quote

m4xwl wrote:
After adding POIS along with speed cameras, c510 now freezing or switching off Anyone got info on why? Suspect one of the csv files or bmp files is corrupted and when it comes on screen the c510 chucks it.

Time to switch threads to

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51619

where this issue is already being discussed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: