Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom’s QuickGPSfix now available for TomTom ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom’s QuickGPSfix now available for TomTom ONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well B**Ger me. You're right. According to the Tom Tom site, quick fix is an on-line download of the GPS ephemeris data. So I take it all back - you're right that if it works as advertised, you should have obtained very rapid fixes. I've always worked with GPS machines that download the data from the satellite direct. Tom Tom is obviously downloading the data from the satellites, and making it available on-line. Never knew you could do that, and I've always assumed that the software simply enabled the Tom Tom to do what other more sophisticated machines have been doing for some time.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else not have the new functionality actually seem to work!?
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I upgraded the software my TomTom One (original version) does not want to switch off. Every time I switch off it starts up again after about 2 or 3 seconds. I have tried soft resets, hard resets and it doesn't want to know. I have reverted to my backup and the problem is solved although the Quick GPS fix still seems to there.

I have the standard set with only speedcams installed, it was ok before and is ok now with 6.520 version reinstalled.

Anyone else had this problem? Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the update back on the device and if it does the same thing again use the reset switch but hold it down for 30 seconds - Mike
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just done that but the result is the same. I am having to revert back to the previous version so that is usable.
rejo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: quick fix Reply with quote

Just upgraded to 6.56 and have now lost the start up and closing down screens. From pressing the start button I get a blank screen for a few seconds and then it goes straight onto the the map screen, how do i get the start up and closing down screens back. Would I be better of buying a 2gig card for future updates.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rejo: check to see if you still have "splash.bmp" (or "splashw.bmp") and "suspend.bmp" (or "suspendw.bmp") in the root directory of your SD card or harddisk.
If not, then it should be an easy job to copy them back on from your backup (or download new ones from here / create your own - search "Splash screen" for instructions)

If they ARE there, then something has corrupted. Try a reset first (short and long - search "hard reset" for details). Finally try re-installing the software again.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
According to the Tom Tom site, quick fix is an on-line download of the GPS ephemeris data.

Though it seems silly that the device is unable to download this data via your mobile phone.

For me, my first fix was slow, but subsequent fixes have been very fast. This morning was the longest fix since the update and it took less than 10 seconds. Before the update it took over 1 minute to get a fix on a Monday morning after not using it all weekend.
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All GPS satellites "move around" their "perfect" theoretical position for any given moment in time, as well as NOT being geo-stationary.. ie THEY MOVE !!!

They communicate with each other, and with a central control to "modify" the position signal they transmit in order to give an accurate "fix" when communicating with any device.

In order to know what the "error" in position is .. they have to know where they "should" be at any given moment. This data is stored in an "almanac" and is re-broadcast/updated at set intervals.

All aviation GPS ( civilian or military) can recieve and store this almanac, which enables rapid alignment on switch on, as the forecast positions satellites for the duration of the almanac is known. If the device is not used within the almanac "life" then it can actually make subsequent lockons slower, as the device initially looks in the wrong place !!

IMHO all the "QuickGPSFix" is doing is storing the almanac data as other devices already do, and the reported behaviour, slow initiallly then fast on subsequent switch ons .. if done within the almanac life.. otherwise it is back to slow as the almanac does not help until updated again.

So although TomTom are building it up as something special .. it could .. and should have been in all devices since first introduced ..

Sad
thomagd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought QuickGPSFix needed the SirfIII chipset to operate but doesn't the original TomTom One not have the SirfIII ?

Why can't the QuickGPSFix be downloaded from the satellites ?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzerocsk wrote:
Though it seems silly that the device is unable to download this data via your mobile phone.

www.tomtom.com wrote:
On the road or no access to TomTom HOME?

Get the same ‘QuickGPSfix’ data by simply connecting to any TomTom PLUS service, using a wireless data connection (GO 910 and 510 only). As soon as a connection is established, the ‘QuickGPSfix’ data is automatically updated.

Note: To minimize the amount of data sent over your wireless data connection, this automatic update is only carried out if the data on your device is more than 5 days old.

To disable this automatic update, just select ‘Disable Auto QuickGPSfix’ on your TomTom device.

entwood wrote:
So although TomTom are building it up as something special .. it could .. and should have been in all devices since first introduced ..

Sad
I think the point in this post is that you can now, either wait for the download in the usual way, from the satellite to your device, or make use of the new TT facility to download the data over the Internet.
www.tomtom.com wrote:
‘QuickGPSfix’ – a special GPS data file that helps your TomTom GO910/510 and TomTom ONE fix your position quicker
Why not the GO710?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the TomTom site has updated the applicable models:
TomTom Web Site wrote:
TomTom’s QuickGPSfix is compatible with TomTom GO 910, TomTom GO 710, TomTom GO 510 and the entire TomTom ONE range.
- Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Perhaps the TomTom site has updated the applicable models:
TomTom Web Site wrote:
TomTom’s QuickGPSfix is compatible with TomTom GO 910, TomTom GO 710, TomTom GO 510 and the entire TomTom ONE range.
- Mike
Ha! Laughing The default US page hasn't been changed Rolling Eyes, but I should know better than to trust the contents of the TT website Crying or Very sad

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
rejo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: quickfix Reply with quote

Re andy p2002
thanks for your help, now sorted.
just goes to show that making a back pays of......
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the 710 was ever released in America.... Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: