Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom’s QuickGPSfix now available for TomTom ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom’s QuickGPSfix now available for TomTom ONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just updated mine via Home and now it's showing as having 0.2 to 0.6mbs RAM free space

prior to this update it was always between 4 and 6mbs

what the hell is that all about ?

Garmin Zumo 390LM
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: TT1 ver 6.56 Reply with quote

I have noticed after upgrading my TT1 Regional to ver 6.56 , that I no longer have the option to connect to my mobile phone, also the Tom Tome PLUS services button is Grayed out as are the Enable Bluetooth & Enable wireless data in the preferences.

Like the post above ver 6.56 is using up most of the TT1 internal memory with hardly enough left to run extras like Tripmaster.

I have reloaded back to Ver 6.52 and all buttons are now available "mobile, Blutooth, wireless data , and the TT Plus services" free internal Ram has went back up to 7.5 MB Free.

Question
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soweezy wrote:
just updated mine via Home and now it's showing as having 0.2 to 0.6mbs RAM free space

prior to this update it was always between 4 and 6mbs

what the hell is that all about ?
The Internal Memory on TomTom Devices is like RAM on a PC, and is used in conjunction with Memory on the SD Card or HD of the Device, as a Paging File.

This is why it is best to have 'Free Memory' available on the Storage to allow this to happen.

The Free Memory Figure will go up, and down, in normal use. Hence the need for a reasonably fast SD Card

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going for the upgrade, I'd like to be reassured that it doesn't slow down the route calculation too much. I'm very satisfied with the time to get a fix with version 6.52, and although an even quicker fix would be great, speed of route calculation is higher on my priority list
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it robin ,and if you dont like it then do a backup restore..this will take you back to your original firmware.
fao91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take from using the new firmware and gps fix for one day.
I have TTone new edition with WE maps v660 and several costum POI´s.
-Free memory droped from 6-5mb free to 1,6-1,0mb free.
-Stayed off all night.After switching it on..Bang.Locked the satelites in ONE!! second.Amazing!!
-No drop in performance.Calculates routes to a 650km destination in just a few secs.Like it did before.
-The recalculation(offroute) times seem the same.
-NO PROBLEMS with the plus services or the bluetooth conections.
So far,i´m pleased.

Francisco
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="soweezy"]just updated mine via Home and now it's showing as having 0.2 to 0.6mbs RAM free space
quote]

Where do you check the free RAM space, please?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
soweezy wrote:

Where do you check the free RAM space, please?
Tap the bottom of the screen where the Sat Display is, then tap the screen where it shows the Version number.

A new screen with relevant Device details is displayed.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious. I just did the update, got the Quick GPSfix update, and it says there are no more updates pending. Took th eunit to the window (it's been a week since it had its last fix, if you see what i mean ;-)).

It took the normal 30sec+ to get a fix (on 11 sats) in this situation - as if the new update had no effect whatsoever....
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
Curious. I just did the update, got the Quick GPSfix update, and it says there are no more updates pending. Took th eunit to the window (it's been a week since it had its last fix, if you see what i mean ;-)).

It took the normal 30sec+ to get a fix (on 11 sats) in this situation - as if the new update had no effect whatsoever....

From what I understand, the Quick fix allows your unit to download and store the data required to identify satellites and locations much more quickly. But it downloads the data from the satellite. so the first time you try to get a fix, it works at the same old slow pace. In theory, having now got the first fix, it will have also downloaded the necessary data, so future updates should be very quick. However, the data downloaded is only valid for a week or so, and is updated every time you use the satnav. If you leave it for more than a week between uses, it will have to revert to the old style of search for satellites, because the data will have expired.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I *just* did the "Quick" update, so the unit would not have to go through the slow algorithm (or so I thought)
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you log onto any single satellite, you receive information which gives the location of all of the individual satellites. This is essential to finding your position, but it takes time to download. Once you have your fix, the satellites continually update the satnav with their current location, as well as sending transmissions which allow you to obtain a position. The satellites are also capable of giving this data for a period ahead, so that you don't have to download the data first.

It's a bit like me saying to you "Your current position is 3 miles north of me. That's not much use unless you know where I am. Up to now, your satnav has not only had to download the "3 miles north of me", but has also had to download my location before you can decide where you are. However, with quickfix, I'll also give you a list of every location that I am going to be at any time during the next week, and allow you to store it. So when I say you are 3 miles north of me, you don't need wait for me to give my location, cos you already know it. So you get your fix much more quickly. And every time we communicate, I will update the diary, so you always have a week's advance notice.

The "Update" you did was a change in the software of the satnav which gives it the ability to download this advance data from the satellites. It doesn't give the data itself. For that, you have to be receiving a satellite signal. And until you connected to a satellite by going to the window, that data was not available.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to add to my example. If you haven't spoken to me for say 10 days, the diary information you had is no longer correct. So you once again need to be told where I am the next time we talk, which will be back to the same long time getting a fix. But as before, on talking to me, as well as giving you my current location, I'll update your diary, so once more you'll have a week's advance notice of my position.

As long as you get a fix once a week, the diary data will always be valid. Any longer than that, and you are back to square 1.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
The "Update" you did was a change in the software of the satnav which gives it the ability to download this advance data from the satellites. It doesn't give the data itself. For that, you have to be receiving a satellite signal. And until you connected to a satellite by going to the window, that data was not available.

I thought it DID give the data itself too, valid for round about a week, which is why they say you have to connect to HOME once a week in order to benefit from this feature. And, or course I didn't get the 'fix in 4 secs' that others have spoken of. ONCE I get my first fix, subsequent first fixes are much faster unless I have a break from use for a while. But that was all the case before this latest update...
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:

As long as you get a fix once a week, the diary data will always be valid. Any longer than that, and you are back to square 1.

That's my point. Isn't this update supposed to give you what you need via HOME, which is why they say you need to connect it via HOME once a week to benefit.

I didn't get a quick fix until after the first long fix - exactly the same experience before this latest update...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: