Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is my TomTom making my car battery go flat?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my TomTom making my car battery go flat?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruggen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

There is something wrong with your car and not your TTN. You should take your car into the garage and have the problem traced. That is unless you can trace it yourself using an AVO to check current drain, charging circuit etc etc. Oh and you should fully charge your battery and then leave it to stand off charge for about 8 hours and then apply a heavy discharge test to it to ascertain its fitness. Your TTN cannot drain your battery overnight if it's not plugged in.
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I think we are confusing 2 issues here.

Topic "My tomtom is flattening my car battery". So in your case, the tomtom is not the problem.

Q: Does the tomtom charger keep blowing it's fuse?

If so there could be a short in the charger causing battery drain. If not the only other options are; that the car battery &/or the alternator is Knackered or there is an electrical drain somewhere else in the car. NB a good place to look is the cigarette socket. Just make sure it's clean so nothing could cause a short circuit.

Most car batteries today have a 2 year guarenttee. If this applies to you take it back and see. If not, the must common cause is a duff cell in the battery and the only thing you can do is buy a new battery.

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - but since the TT is not plugged in - how do you know what else you're not doing might be running down the battery? Maybe it's because you're not dressed as a pirate! Laughing

Aitch
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
IT'S YOUR BATTERY! Stop it!

Laughing Thumbs Up

Dude, either your battery is knackered or your alternator on the car is not charging it properly (might be a loose belt).

If the battery is failing then it will more than likely die on a cold day. You try to start your car when it's 10 degress, no problem. Later that night when it's 2 degrees, car won't start. Classic knackered battery fault.

If the alternator isn't charging correctly then you might find the battery is drained after driving on a rainy night (alternator can't keep up with the power drawn by the lights/wipers).

It's not your sat nav...
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
I give up

I can't believe we have been contemplating a topic which never even existed because the Tomtom wasn't even plugged in..

If the battery was going flat mark you should of had the damn thing tested like I told you to in previous posts at a garage...It has absolutely nothing to do with your satnav device being plugged in whilst you are driving....

If anything its probably your Alternator thats knackered and isn't charging your battery....or your Battery is Knackered...

Honestly some people.... :x

I give up too, because it seems you are illiterate. Confused

I repeat again I DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WHEN I HAVEN'T BEEN USING THE SAT NAV THE DAY BEFORE.

Is that clear enough for you, or do I have to write it in large red text so you will understand?

In any case, it's booked into the garage.
dpmiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the TT CLA is internally fused. Said fuse is 2A IIRC (but I'm not going out to the car to check...) Even if it was (say) 10A, that means the most the charger could take out of your car's electrical system is 10A. Now if it *was* taking that much juice (120W) you'd have more problems on your hands because said CLA would be on fire...

So. Find out the size of your alternator. A minimum of 40A, I'd think; likely 60 or 70A. Add up the consumption of ALL the ancillaries you have turned on continuously in normal driving- Headlights 10A (give or take), heater fan 10A on full, etc etc.

If your demand is less than the capacity of the alternator then it's obvious that either battery or alternator are dead. Only a test will confirm which it is, as a dead battery can make the alternator look duff and vice-versa.

It's worth ensuring that the battery is in fact fully charged before starting any of this game- it's now accepted that alternators don't charge a battery to 100%, rather they replenish charge removed. If your battery is only half-charged, you can drive around all day long, and it'll never reach fully charged.

And if all that checks out, you'll need to have a leakage-current check done to see how much discharge there is on the battery with everything allegedly "off".
davideo0
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
I give up

I can't believe we have been contemplating a topic which never even existed because the Tomtom wasn't even plugged in..

If the battery was going flat mark you should of had the damn thing tested like I told you to in previous posts at a garage...It has absolutely nothing to do with your satnav device being plugged in whilst you are driving....

If anything its probably your Alternator thats knackered and isn't charging your battery....or your Battery is Knackered...

Honestly some people.... :x

I give up too, because it seems you are illiterate. Confused

I repeat again I DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WHEN I HAVEN'T BEEN USING THE SAT NAV THE DAY BEFORE.

Is that clear enough for you, or do I have to write it in large red text so you will understand?

I cannot believe it has taken three pages to finally get you to at least try what so many people have suggested i.e. GET YOUR BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM CHECKED.

If you really believe your TT is at fault then by all means send it back to TT for a check too then all aspects are covered.

Reacting rudely to the people who are offering you help, which you asked for, leads me to feel that you are best left to your own devices. Why waste any more webspace?
TTG 700, Firmware ver 6.520 (7690/061002),GPS v1.21, Boot 4.86, OS:1387,Map: Western Europe v660 , Tripmaster 1.6d, Offroad Navigator v1.5a, External antenna, External microphone, Motorola V3, Orange PAYG
princeofpeace
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

I can't sleep anymore - Can you let us know what the garage said/found?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought...

Many years ago, I had a car which I frequently (though intermittently)found with a flat battery when I tried to start it in the morning. The battery was checked, the alternator was checked - everything was OK. I even left the car at a garage for a week; they started it every morning without any problems.

We eventually discovered a pattern - it was always shortly after a long(ish) journey, and this helped us to find the problem. The car had an electric fan which was supposed to run after the car was switched off, until the engine reached a comfortable temperature. It turned out that the thermostat which was supposed to monitor the engine temperature was broken, and in fact the fan was running until the battery was completely flat.

I never noticed it because I just used to put the car in the garage and leave it, knowing that the fan was supposed to run for a short time after the car was switched off. The garage never noticed it because they didn't allow the car to run long enough to need the fan in the first place.

Yours may not be the same issue, but you mention that the problem has happened after long journeys. Is there anything that happens on such journeys that is different to your usual pattern of driving? I'll leave you to think about this and act/ignore as appropriate!
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideo0 wrote:

Reacting rudely to the people who are offering you help, which you asked for, leads me to feel that you are best left to your own devices. Why waste any more webspace?

I was perfectly civil until people started being rude to me.

The car is not being looked at now, it's booked in for next week. I don't anticipate problems in the meantime as I've said before it's only been a problem after long trips, of which I have none planned.

I shall let you know the outcome.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who's for ending this thread now ..(please DONT respond)
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Just a thought...

Many years ago, I had a car which I frequently (though intermittently)found with a flat battery when I tried to start it in the morning. The battery was checked, the alternator was checked - everything was OK. I even left the car at a garage for a week; they started it every morning without any problems.

We eventually discovered a pattern - it was always shortly after a long(ish) journey, and this helped us to find the problem. The car had an electric fan which was supposed to run after the car was switched off, until the engine reached a comfortable temperature. It turned out that the thermostat which was supposed to monitor the engine temperature was broken, and in fact the fan was running until the battery was completely flat.

I never noticed it because I just used to put the car in the garage and leave it, knowing that the fan was supposed to run for a short time after the car was switched off. The garage never noticed it because they didn't allow the car to run long enough to need the fan in the first place.

Yours may not be the same issue, but you mention that the problem has happened after long journeys. Is there anything that happens on such journeys that is different to your usual pattern of driving? I'll leave you to think about this and act/ignore as appropriate!

Interesting! It's certainly something I can mention to the garage. As the car sometimes does run the fan for a time after the engine is switched off. Though notably I've only heard it doing that in hot weather, and it's been rather chilly whenever it's failed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: