Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman's new Bluetooth GPS4410 Bundle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman's new Bluetooth GPS4410 Bundle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when people make the assumption that TTN3 is going to be better. Why do you think TTN3 will be better than SmartST Pro V2 ? Navman are now using the same geodata provider that TomTom have been using, so the data they will be getting is identical. If you are having problems with accuracy of data in Navman SmartST Pro V2 (iCN630V2) then it's really going to be no different in TTN3.
gakennedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the assumption is that as TomTom3 is still a number of months away, there is a chance that they will be watching the issues that come up with their main competitors latest release, and either making sure that they are not in their product, or improving on features that may give them an edge in the market (it is also possible that map data 'could' be updated in this time, particularly the m6toll). Its a little thing called market research Wink

There is also the case that SmartST / Navman are so comparable, if someone is not happy with one (and I include being unhappy with the company, itself not just the software) then it is perfectly natural that they look at the competition.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grass can always look greener on the other side. A key differentiator between SmartST V1 and Navigator were the maps. That differentiator has been removed so we are now looking at functionality. Currently TomTom has an open appication platform, i.e. other developers have applications that link directly with the application. this makes Navigator more than just a route planning and tracking application. Wink

By the way, as a gesture of goodwill, Maxine from Navman has just offered me a free upgrade. I will let you know what I think of the new application when have it loaded! Might wait for SmartST V3 now! Embarassed
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: I agree completely with Dave, Reply with quote

gakennedy wrote:
I think the assumption is that as TomTom3 is still a number of months away, there is a chance that they will be watching the issues that come up with their main competitors latest release, and either making sure that they are not in their product, or improving on features that may give them an edge in the market (it is also possible that map data 'could' be updated in this time, particularly the m6toll). Its a little thing called market research Wink

There is also the case that SmartST / Navman are so comparable, if someone is not happy with one (and I include being unhappy with the company, itself not just the software) then it is perfectly natural that they look at the competition.

I agree completely with Dave,

The problem we all have is linked directly with TeleAtlas, and I don't really like to be negative, but I think you guys will have to wait for some kind of miracle, before TeleAtlas get their act together and correct their database and maps. The database doesn't even have the famous Delboy and Rodneys town 'Peckham' in South-East London. How appalling.

I'm an iCN user and If I owned a 4400, then I would never buy the V2 software.

Regards

iCNman
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gakennedy wrote:

TomTom can certainly eye up the competitors, but if the problems down to the geodata itself, then there's little they'll be able to do unless they can get TeleAtlas to work on it, or be lucky enough to receive an even newer updated map. Most of the problems are searching the database (in Navman) and this is what TomTom exhibits, so unless TeleAtlas manage to fix this in their latest release (and that's assuming that TomTom can get a later release than Navman have released due to the time difference between releases) then that's the only way that this will change.

ICNman wrote:
The problem we all have is linked directly with TeleAtlas, and I don't really like to be negative, but I think you guys will have to wait for some kind of miracle, before TeleAtlas get their act together and correct their database and maps. The database doesn't even have the famous Delboy and Rodneys town 'Peckham' in South-East London. How appalling.

Most of the GPS companies do have the tools to segment maps and create/stitch the maps together and make minor changes but AFAIK it's only in a limited sense, and in most cases it's requesting TeleAtlas to update if it's a big style map/database issue. Unfortunately I think this is where NavTech's data shines and TeleAtlas will have issues until it can make it's data much more accurate.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to GPS so these comments are personal opinion.

I bought the 4410 with version 2 software last weekend after a lot of research. I was steered towards Navman for its so-called better mapping and the fact that it had full European maps. Couple this with the latest functionality to bring it in line with TomTom you can see why I chose the 4410!
Now I am sad to learn that there are issues with the mapping primarily because they have switched to TeleAtlas maps over the old NavTech ones. It seems ludicrous that 'new' maps should be more out of date than old ones.
Does anyone know why they have switched? could it be for the 3D functionality? I can't see any logical reason why a company would switch to an inferior map supplier.

I think that if Navman believe they have paid for 'updated maps' then they have been misled.
gakennedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a bit of a comparison between V1 and V2 over the last week or so, and so far I'm not really that impressed.I can only really assume the switch is due to $$$, as so far I can't see any real improvements in the map quality over the v1 maps (even though there is a pretty large hike in the memory requirements), except for the POI database, which does seem more complete (eg. 5 out of 6 of the local hospitals are present on v2, compared to 2 out of 5 in V1). Some of the data does look a little suspect tho, it seems to think that beeston castle has a birmingham postcode.

To be fair, I have been travelling on well established roads, so this may not be the case in areas with a lot of new roads in place.I was disappointed that the M6 toll isn't present, it's not as if its suddenly appeared, but again, not sure this can really be made a criticism as I'm not sure that Navtech have this either.

In terms of the app, it looks better, the 3d view does make the route clearer, but this is pretty much deminished by the errors in the voice navigation instructions, during 2 of the journeys I had 2 incorrect instructions (on each) (eg. turn left when route was straight on), and 2 'misleading' instructions (bear left, when this made no real sense). In all cases the 'Onscreen' view of the route was correct.

Searching for places is a little more hit and miss than v1, with a few of my searches yealding multiple results which you couldn't differentiate, or not finding the place at all. For example, a search for Beeston, would yeald 2 results (among others), both 'BEESTON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM', selecting either shows a place near Peterborough (rather than Beeston, Cheshire), adding in a bit of postcode gives a single result, this time to the right place, but the catch is you HAVE to know this postcode or you are not going to find the place!!. Similar search on V1 gave "BEESTON, CHESHIRE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM". Spot on!
V2 just doesn't seem to have the linkages between places and counties in place.
Even if the map database is more complete/upto date than V1, the search issues make it appear worse.

Stability seems to be consistent with V1, neither better or worse.

Area avoidance is nice, but not really tested it to destruction ;)

Overall, although I'm pretty convinced that Navman feel they are selling a new, all improved piece of software, but as an end user I'm more than a little dissapointed, and cannot see how they could justify charging more than a token fee for it. It really feels like we are paying for their choice of moving map supplier, rather than a true improvement in the application.

To justify the price of the upgrade, they would need to make sure the maps where bang upto date, and have the ability to add to the POI database as a minumum, and maybe the ability to have routes via, other locations ie. a to b via c (just shooting from the hip here :D ). Even then, the idea of a £140-180 upgrade charge sends shivers down my spine, but at least it would feel like you where buying new stuff.

(I have just sent these findings direct to Navman as well).
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote above that I purchased the 4410 with version 2 software. now I have read elsewhere that the 4410 is technically the receiver?
Am I right? Because the box that I received says it is a 4400 but inside the box was the SmartST v2 software.
Does it matter that the receiver is a 4400 and not 4410?
Can anyone confirm that their box said 4400 or 4410?

Confused Confused
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys,

The only difference between the 4400 and the 4410 is the software. You have V2 software therefore you have a 4410.

Kam
gakennedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4100 = Hardware only
4400 = Hardware + V1 software
4410 = Hardware + V2 software

Hardware is the same in all cases.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: