Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disabling waypoints/vias during journey
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabling waypoints/vias during journey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Disabling waypoints/vias during journey Reply with quote

Hi.

My first purchase of CoPilot Live arrived today, and am glad to say all is working really well - I'm so impressed. I had a short, 5 mile journey this evening to try it out but one aspect was a bit tricky and annoying.

I'd mapped the route to go from home, to Cookham, via 3 different roads. I drove off destined for the first road, but missed it (ice and snow everywhere, couldn't stop in time). So I carried on regardless, and Copilot tried to re-route me back to the road. Although this is a really useful/invaluable feature, there will definately be times where I will want to just say "no, forget about that last waypoint, take me to the next one." How can I do this when on the PocketPC?

Thanks

Will
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to switch back to planning mode, tap on the waypoint that you want to see removed, and then tap on "Delete" . Then tap on the Guidance mode icon again to continue the navigation.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz, I'll give it a go tomorrow. One other thing - do you know why there's no traffic option in the Live section of the software? I was really looking forward to using this, and am worried that its a feature only available to the US. Do you know?

Thanks

Will
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently the Live section is only for messaging between the driver and the "center". Taffic information will be added in future versions, if the business model is sustainable (you will have to expect to pay for that extra)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
Thanks Lutz, I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Will

One more thing I just learned - when you plan your journey you can set each intermediate location as a Stop or as a Waypoint. Stops are mandatory, Waypoints are just for general routing advice "Try putting the route through that waypoint but don't enfoce it" . So if you change all your stops to waypoints the problem that you described above should go away. Give that a try, too.

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give that a go tomorrow Lutz. Just drove home, a route I know only too well, but am still impressed at CoPilot. It keeps wanting me to take the A4 which, in its logic, should be faster were it not for the traffic. The re-routing when you miss one of its turns is so fast, there's hardly a delay (PPC 2215).

The real test is tomorrow when I drive down to deepest, darkest dorset along country lanes...

Will
ALK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Within CoPilot you can input a stop or waypoint. While CoPilot guides you directly to stops in succession, it takes you within approximately 10 miles of a waypoint, then removes it from the list and continues to the next stop. As such waypoints enable drivers to select the main route to their ultimate destinations (via a city or other location). Note that you should only input a city or postcode as a waypoint. The function is truly designed for longer routes and to take advantage of CoPilot's pan European seamless routing capabilities.

Regarding the A4 route, try changing CoPilot's routing option from 'Quickest' to 'Shortest.' The latter is designed to take the shortest path over the main roads and be helpful.

Regards,

Dan Popkin
ALK Technologies
www.copilotlive.co.uk
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dan. Just got back from a longish trip to Dorset. The only problem I had was CoPilot's determination(!) to use the Motorways. My old car is falling apart a bit, and can't go over 40 - so at the moment I'm avoiding Motorways. I tried to select the slider, when planning the route beforehand, to "avoid" Motorways, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Any way to say "ignore all Motorways"?

Will
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I second that!

I'm mostly using CP to get around south of Germany, and its filthy with motorways. Most times thats not a problem at all Smile but sometimes I'm not in a hurry and would like to take the scenic route. However, if I rely on guidance, sooner or later I always end up on a motorway, even if I select the shortest route option :D The avoid road funtion is good, but it comes to rescue too late, when I'm already miles off my initial course and the motorway is the only way remaining. So a motorway avoidance feature would be real cool to have!
While I'm at it, does anybody know if all of the Austrian motorways are considered toll roads in CP? I mean that when you go there, you have to buy a "Vignette" for motorways (sticker on the windshield, valid for ten days or more), all other roads are free. Same goes for Switzerland. But it seems that if I route with the "avoid toll" option on, it only avoids one part of one certain motorway going to Italy which is marked green on the map and where I know that you have to pay additional toll as you go. That would be another reason for "avoid motorways" option.

Cheers,
Eriks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure NavTech even have that differentiation in their map data (between roads with toll booths and roads that require a "Pickerl"). But I agree, this would be a good addition (as would be to add Toll Booths as POI so you can have a proximity warning and prepare the money)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: