Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT6 and a 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT6 and a 2210
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from a possible support issue I would lie and say I've got a RZ1710 to get the download and the same if I ever had a problem. In any case I would just order the DVD and not the download...if you can.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
JohnF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think I will in future. I cannot understand there reluctance to just send the code.

Regards John
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's purely down to the difference between 'supported on' and 'it works on'. What Tomtom are doing is common throughout the industry. Due to the plethora of devices on the market - all with their own quirks and specifications - they are only prepared to support (i.e. fix problems) that arise on devices that they have tested to some degree. If they let you download the software for any device they are obliged to support it on that device.
JohnF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it can complicate their support but always changing the PDA can be very expensive. I have spare batteries and car accessories which would also have to be changed. In the PC world software remains supported over a much longer time span. We are still seeing support for Win98 and quite slow processors by todays standard.

Regards John
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why dedicated nav units are becoming much more popular - it's going to work and be supported if it has a problem. And it's less of a risk for the developer.

You can see a day when PDA based nav systems will go away - just look at the issues with piracy etc. If I was in the business I would certainly be looking at withdrawing from the PDA market - or not developing the application further (e.g. stick at V6) It's getting to the point that the cost of s/w upgrade is a substantial percentage of the cost of dedicated unit.
JohnF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I often find it very useful to have a map in my pocket and only have to carry one piece of kit.

Regards John
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzy wrote:
Well, it would be interesting to know what's the maximum read\write spead of the 2210's CF slot because no matter how fast the card, it can't go any faster than the 2210 can handle. The only reason I bought the Kngston 80x was because it was on special offer at ebuyer Smile

I've read this thread with great interest since I'm considering making an investment in TT6. The question above is interesting even though I am even more interested in the speed of the SD slot in 2210. I'm currently using a 1GB CF Kingston Elite Pro card, which has been working flawlessly, and am considering buying a 2GB SD card as well. Do I need the Elite Pro card (8.2MB/sec read — 7.7MB/sec write) for running TomTo or will I do fine with the standard card (5MB/sec. read — 1.5MB/sec. write).

Since the price difference is quite small, I'm leaning towards the Elite Pro SD card, but I'd still like an extra opinion.

BTW, stay away from the cheap Integral cards. The performance is terrible!

Regards,

Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: