Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT6 and a 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT6 and a 2210
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fizzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddsock\All,
That's pretty much the same set up as me, although my CF card is labelled as a Kingston 80x card. Tried it out on Saturday, and I couldn't really notice a difference in speed from TT5 so I'd say it's definitely the speed of your CF card Deep-6.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deep-6,

Deep-6 wrote:
Hi Privateer, did you manage to get your 2210s up and running?

Yes I did, last week I got a second Brodit active mount for an iPAQ h2210. On Friday 13 October 2006, Bo Peep and I drove down to Bournemouth and returned on Sunday 15 October 2006. We did a round trip of 250 miles with two identical hardware systems (2210s, Kingston 1024MB CF card, GlobalSat BT-338 GPS receivers. We had TomTom Navigator 5 on one system and Navigator 6 on the other system. BTW I’m running far more POIs on the system running TTNav 6 than on the system running TTNav 5.

Both systems performed well. Both systems were accurate and always showed the correct location and speed in real time. The only noticeable differences were due to the newer (better) map data on TTNav 6.

Deep-6, as Fizzy has just said, it may be down to the 512MB CF card you used. I know that it’s a pain, but try getting a faster and larger CF card, as the h2210 is definitely able to run TomTom Navigator 6.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say thanks to Privateer for conducting such a thorough test. Any doubts I had about the 2210 have gone and I for one have a high speed Kingston card on order along with TT6.

Privateer did tell me in another post that the 2210 would be OK. Oh me of little faith!
Deep-6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Deep-6, as Fizzy has just said, it may be down to the 512MB CF card you used. I know that it’s a pain, but try getting a faster and larger CF card, as the h2210 is definitely able to run TomTom Navigator 6.
Regards,

Oddsock, Fizzy and especially Privateer, thank you for the information. I had pretty much expected this as the outcome, but thanks for confirming. Glad to know there is still a bit of life left in the old 2210 :-)

I have TTN6 currently installed to CF card as you know, and previously ran TTN5 off of a Panasonic SD Card, performance with the SD was fine. With that said I need a new card, it wouldnt seem to matter which type as long as it has a fast read speed. SD is the latest technology so I am leaning towards that, but if I do buy an SD card, how do I tell TomTom to look on the SD card memory instead of looking onto the CF card?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again!
Deep-6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will just go for a CF card. Has anyone used these:

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=536

Integral 100X i-Pro cards? I am looking for reviews at the moment.. they seem fairly reasonable in price however.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2210 is fussy about SD cards especially if using a BT receiver..As for the Cf card you mention ..why pay double the price that you need to ,my Kingston 1024 cost £16.22 delivered from Valueflash and does the job .I have read that the very high speed cards needed for digital photography are wasted for Sat Navs but in the Quest for the "NEED FOR SPEED" some people buy them believing them to bring super computer powers to their Pda's. Has anyone ever had two identical Systems except for the cards side by side to test the various cards??

Dave
Fizzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would be interesting to know what's the maximum read\write spead of the 2210's CF slot because no matter how fast the card, it can't go any faster than the 2210 can handle. The only reason I bought the Kngston 80x was because it was on special offer at ebuyer Smile
Deep-6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I decided to order the I-Pro 1GB CF from svp. It should be here tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some improvement, although as of late, it seems I am getting used to the performance and I can't remember it being much different to TTN5 8O

I did notice that at Valueflash, they are selling Dane-Elec CF cards, I'm sure they are far superior to my 3 year old Dane-Elec - I wonder how my old one compares.

I'll keep you all updated if you are interested! Embarassed
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep-6 wrote:
I'll keep you all updated if you are interested! Embarassed

Yes please! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following these posts I bought TT6 and a fast Kingston card. I have installed it and I am pleased to say so far all has work well except for the fact that the voice playback has been very choppy. I cleared the voice file and downloaded a new one form TomTom in case the DVD had a bad file but the result was the same. Choppy voice play back. In preferences I unticked the "link sound volume to speed" option and everything is now fine. Anyone else found this?
Deep-6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Yes please! :)2Regards,

So here's the update :-)

After I received the new card in the post, I had problems copying just one file from the old compact flash card - cline.dat. Every other file copied, just that one, so I couldn't test until I got home and recopied from the original SD card to the new CF card, let TomTom get itself sorted on the new card, and then copied back everything from the old card to the new card (apart from the cline.dat which is somehow corrupted).

Anyhow, its all working off of the new "faster" CF card, and I have to say I have only noticed a teeny bit of a difference. Possibly because I was getting used to the performance of the setup after having it a couple of weeks. Loading up seems a shade faster, as does bringing up the menu and moving around it.

It just seems ok, and like qkjb spoken instructions were choppy until I turned off "link volume with speed". I am pretty sure on the old CF card the first moment of the spoken instructions were choppy and the rest of it and subsequent repeats were fine! Weird!

Thanks to everyone for all the help! Smile

I'd rate performance as good enough at the moment, but I suspect they only way i'll be happy is with a new PDA. Is the dell Axim x51v the latest and greatest?

Cheers
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got the 'choppy voices' problem too. Thanks for the tips, I'll try disabling 'link volume to car speed'.

Has anyone else noticed that TTN6 doesn't seem to override the volume settings any more? Even if my volume was turned right down and muted, TTN5 used to enable sound and play back at whatever volume was set in the preferences.

Now, with TTN6, if I don't enable sound and turn it up, I don't get any voices at all! I find this really annoying, as I usually keep my 2210 muted, now I have to remember to un-mute it and turn the volume right up every time I use TomTom.

Anyone else running TTN6 on a 2210 notice this, or is this just a new 'feature' of TTN6?

Cheers.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that volume was set to 75% not 100% when I had first loaded TT6. My problem was that the volume was too low so I checked out the level, changed it and that led me to unlink the volume to speed setting. I haven't played around with it since. I was just grateful to get it up and working together with the speed cameras. If we are all getting speaker problems, looks like a bug in TT6 or perhaps 2210 is struggling although I can't see why it should if undoing the link stops the choppiness. It would be interesting to know whether others not using a 2210 have had the same problems mentioned above. Perhaps Privateer knows?
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good thread.

The 2210 is one of the most commonly used PDA's around. A lot were sold with sat nav packages because they were a "no frills" PDA. I never use my PDA...as a PDA...and wouldn't want to spend £200 replacing it for a newer model just for SAT NAV. I would definately go for the TT One if it cam eto hta.

But...having invested in the 2210 18 months ago ago and a new Holux BT receiver last week the cost effective way is to buy TT6 + Western Europe on DVD for £86.

Mind you selling my 2210/Co Pilot 5/512 CF card and Holux 236 on ebay will leave me with not much more to find than that to buy the TT One V2 Europe. But its good to see that the 2210 will cope with TT6 especially as I run an application free PDA apart from Sprite and the usual standard stuff. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
JohnF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to download the TT6 UK maps but ended up with the updated TT5. I am having a battle with TT support to supply the TT6 download. Has anyone successfully downloaded TT6 for the 2210.

Regards John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: