Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V2 Problems with spoken instructions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V2 Problems with spoken instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gakennedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: V2 Problems with spoken instructions Reply with quote

I'm starting to wonder about the V2 software Sad

Just been having a tinker, and one of the first routes I tried (via demonstrator mode) showed the route going straight on across a junction, but the spoken instruction said "turn left".

I dismissed it as a one off, but I've just heard from a friend who said he was approaching a roundabout with only 2 exits, 1st was straight on (and marked as the route) and the 2nd was right, the voice instruction said "take second exit".

I'm going to switch back to the V1 software and see if the same error is present, then report it to Navman.

So, I think it's a case of be careful if you are following the voice prompts!
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a simliar case I plan to report. Approaching the roundabout (just after crossing M1 J14 westbound) I need to take the 3rd exit (correctly indicated on the display) the voice says to "take the 1st exit"!
gakennedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's an interesting one.

Saying 2nd when it should be first 'could' be explained away if there where some sort of track (or something) leading off the roundabout, but saying 1st instead of 3rd, really shows a possible problem.

If anyone else observes this I wonder if it may be worth adding to this thread so we can forward the whole thing to Navman.
gakennedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, while I think on.
I've noticed on the 'guidance setup', there are now only 2 options for the voice. uk male, and uk female 4... I wonder what happened to uk female 1-3, as uk female 4 sounds like she has a cold, and I wonder if she's going to go off sick soon. Smile

Is this the same for everyone else, or has something odd happened on my install.
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

gakennedy wrote:
Is this the same for everyone else, or has something odd happened on my install.

No, mine is fine, I have all of them. Try installing the software again.

iCNman
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have just uk male, and uk female 4 voices.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking in \Program Files\Navman\SmartST Pro\Sound I found that the files were actually called speech3_male.dat and speech3_female.dat. Looking in the backup I took before deinstalling V1.96 I found another 2 files called speech_male.dat and speech_female.dat, and restored them thereby gaining a 2nd copy of English - UK Male and and an English - UK Female voice. The 2 male voices sound the same despite the fact that the .dat files are different sizes, but I do now have a choice of 2 female voices. I think I prefer the newer one. Looks like you get to keep the old voices if you install over the top of a previous version.
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Navman Voices Reply with quote

Hi there everbody

I've been looking at the comments about the Navman Voice selection. I scrolled thru the menu and I've listed what I found under [

Settings - Guidance

English - UK Male
English - UK Female 1
English - Male 1
English - Female 2
English - Female 4

Is this what everyone else is finding in V2 Question Question

I have also found some of the voice prompts misleading. I use a road near where I live regularly and a few years ago at a junction they installed a mini roundabout, but V1 did not recognise it. Since installing V2 I find that now as I approach it intending to drive straight on I'm prompted to Bear Right. The problem is I don't need to bear right cos I'm going straight on. When I approached it from the opposite direction I'm prompted to Bear Left. The map gives no indication that there is a roundabout (mini or full grown)

I wonder if Navman are working on a Service Pack as we speak or is that being a bit optimistic

Regards

alfieB
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: version 2 Reply with quote

I think ver 2 is a con! The maps have got worse for the streets that I drive and know well.

Ver 1.96 had 2 errors in local roads that were built or changed a couple years back. Ver 2 which is newer (?) has these same errors plus another in my very street. Ver 2 has created a new road and name, which is just non-existant, out of thin air.

Yes I have also gone from 4 voices to 2, but will look to see if can find the files referred to in this thread to recover the voice I liked.

Where is the M6 toll !! Certainly not on Ver 2.

I am seriously considering going back to ver 1.96 Even the postcode is not the full code. e.g. KA12 8. Therefore, apart from 3D view what are we actually getting please?

Will a full (hard) reset of the iPaq delete all versions totally and possibly provide the 4 voice choice? Question

Unimpressed.
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Please read. Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Like I said before that I have all the voice instructors on my unit, but I recently became aware of one little problem.

I normally use UK Female 2, (shes gorgeous, her voice that is) but everytime I turn off the unit, it goes back to Female 1, which is very strange because after you make changes, it asks you whether you want to save the changes or not. I select yes, use it for a few hours, turn it off, turn it back on again, it then goes back to this heavy manky female voice known as 'Female 1'. By the way this only happens on V2.

I have sent Navman an e-mail about this, will let you know what happens.

Regards

iCNman
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, i have version 2 and recently it told me to take the 5th exit on a 4 exit roundabout????
Had I done so i would have gone completely round then off at the 1st??
I am really regretting buying Navman now as this is my first sat-nav setup. Sad
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Service pack 1 out soon. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Recieved the following e-mail today from Navman-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem with the voice will be solved with the service pack 1 that should be available soon. And YES, you can use your old maps with your new software, but you cannot mix them together.

Kind regards,
Laurent MAHE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards

iCNman
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all...
I have sent e-mails and used the on-line support form on the Navman site asking for help on these issues but have not received ANY replies!
MATLOUGH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone them - 01293 780500

I've just spoken to them about 2 problems that i have about mapping - don't know how good the response will be, but they seemed pretty interested in passing it on to tech team.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: