Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK POSTCODE Support for TomTom Navigator 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK POSTCODE Support for TomTom Navigator 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: UK POSTCODE Support for TomTom Navigator 2 Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of people wanting to go online on ebay and get ripped for for £10 to £30 to purchase a postcode database for TomTom Navigator 2. Most people don't realise that we have a large postcode database courtesy of one of our readers George Spanellis.

If you want postcode support download these ZIP files and extract them like you would a normal POI, or download them from our POI-Sync Service.

Don't get ripped off, download them for free!

The links have been removed at the behest of Ordnance Survey as the files infringe Crown Copyright.

Once you have downloaded them into TomTom, all you need to do is on the Navigator screen, tap then NAVIGATE TO then select POI and pick the POI file you want that should have the postcode in for the region. It's as simple as that, as it will then bring back a complete alpha/numeric list of POI's with postcodes!
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice on how to speed up the loading of TomTom with the post codes loaded ?

I've tried various combinations (I've got my maps on a compact flash card - Ipaq is a 2210 card is "rated" at 40x but pocket mechanic says it's nearer to 7x...

Without the post code pois load time for tom tom is pretty much instantaneous - with all of the london ones this goes up to almost 30 secs -add the South East pois and we're talkign minutes - whilst they're very useful I cant stand the delay this causes (call me impatient). is there any way of speeding up the start up process ?

DinAlt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can understand why a lot of companies do exclude UK Postcodes, because Pocket PC's and storage still aren't quite up to speed. The best way is to only load the Postcode POI files you need rather than the whole country.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Yeah, that's what I figured - guess I'll stick to what I do currently - make Favourites for regularly visited clients and pois for the occasional ones (I only really wanted the post codes for the occasions when I get 'phone calls on the road asking me to visit a client which I hadn't planned to call on).

If I got my act together I'd enter all my cleints into Autoroute have it plot them out for me and then export the custom pois from there - but I can't be bothered doing it again (i have a large database of small boat manufacturers and repair outlets which I did this for last year) this sort ofthing is what pc /pda's were made for just have to get the energy up for the marathon typing sessions to make the database Smile)

DinAlt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have them in a seperate directory on yoru storage card and just do a copy in File Explorer prior to wanting to use them in TomTom, that way you can have them on the Pocket PC, and only use the postcodes you want, when you want.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that's an idea - think I'll have a play with that ...

DinAlt
EliseMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the CM section only as this is the area I work in, seems pretty good although not complete. If the postcode isn't in the database I'll just revert back to address Smile

Dave
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Now you can understand why a lot of companies do exclude UK Postcodes, because Pocket PC's and storage still aren't quite up to speed. The best way is to only load the Postcode POI files you need rather than the whole country.

I'm quite sure no company would have given you that as a reason - that's a naieve reason for not including UK postcode support. I suspect that is just your hypothesis. As a software developer of mapping systems, I know that a properly written application with an indexed database of postcodes should not take any longer to load. It doesn't even need to read in the postcodes until you search for one and so will incur no startup delay whatsoever. The delay is arising because the POI system was not designed to be used like this. It was designed for "Points of Interest" and not meta-data for the maps (which is what postcodes essentially are). The maps themselves are vastly bigger than these postcode databases and do not cause TomTom to have a massive start up delay - this is because they are properly indexed and TomTom only reads in the small part of the map that it's actually using - not the whole file. The size of the postcodes databases is insignificant. Note that even with a fairly average 24x compact flash card (3.6mb/sec), you could load in a 2mb postcode database in little over half a second. Obviously storage is not what's causing this "30 second delay". The problem is not with the storage - it's with the application which is NOT designed for thousands of POIs. Even if storage WAS much slower, with a indexed database TomTom would only have to access a small block of data from the compact flash card and it's startup times and performance would not be an issue if this was properly coded in. It would not need to transfer the entire postcode database files.

The only solution is to pursuade TomTom to include UK postcode support natively into the application and incorporate the postcode database into the map database so it performs as it should, instead of having to bolt on an unindexed text file of postcodes. I have myself e-mailed them already about this issue after having read their comment on "UK postal codes" in their Knowledge base (which suggested that in their beta test, focus groups showed that entering postcodes did not save any time compared with entering "the first three letters of a city"). Obviously TomTom do not realise that UK postcodes narrow it down to an individual road, and typing in a postcode (which takes me about 5 seconds) is MUCH faster than finding a city and then having to scroll down a huge list of roads to find the one I want.

On my own, I'm not likely to be heard, so if you want UK postcode support, then please e-mail TomTom and tell them that external POI based postcode databases are not a practical solution.

As far as I'm aware, most companies that provide map data (TeleAtlas etc) include postcode information in their UK maps, so presumably the only reason that they are not supported is that TomTom have not coded this functionality into their user interface.

Nick...
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Nick. Which is why I've written my own application which looks up postcodes in a compacted and indexed version of the codesearch files from this site, and hooks into tomtom to navigate to the location.

The lookup for this application is virtually instant, with the entire UK postcode database (about 12MBytes) stored on the SD flash card where the tomtom maps are stored.

I am intending to make this application available to others but it's a bit rough round the edges at the moment... not enough hours in a day. I am also still working out how to recover my investment in the tomtom sdk.

Nontheless, I would like to offer support to your call for tomtom to incorporate it properly. Perhaps they could do that at the same time as releasing up-to-date maps, eh? Just don't hold your breath, guys!

- Niels
Barney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People power!
I'm emailing Tom Tom support also.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased H2210 with TTN2 and tried yesterday to load all those postcodes but have got myself in a right mess!
I downloaded each of the files as listed above one by one and then "unzipped" them - trouble is I don't know what to do with them now! I am a complete novice and would appreciate if someone could give me step-by-step instructions of what to do with these files in order to get them into TTN2 on my H2210 and how exactly to use them. Sorry for being so thick on this subject!
Thanks for any help.

Tom
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my earlier post - I have tried to load these postcodes via the POI-Sync method. I have followed the instructions to the letter but when I get to the very last screen and click FINISH , I get the error message:-

ASSERTION FAILURE
E:\DNOTE\POIEdit\fautoupdatewizard.pas,line507

I deleted all the software that I downloaded and tried it again from scratch and exactly same thing happened!

Maybe I should give it up as a bad job and buy some maps!

Tom
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a serious error, and I'd suggest emailing the author of the program as he may know what's causing it. Seeing as we have lots of users running POIEdit without seeing this error, I can only presume it's something to do with the setup of your PC. It maybe a clash or conflict with DLL's or runtime files.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Dave I will e-mail the author shortly telling him about the problem I encountered.
In the meantime I have successfully managed to download one of the postcode files as listed above (thought I would practice with just oen for now!) and unzip it and pass it to my h2210 via autosync - I can now see the file(s) on the pda by tapping on "programs" and then "file explorer" - but what do I do with them now and how do I get them into TomTom?
Thanks for any guidance.

Tom
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are sitting in your Great Britain country directory as a filename.ov2 then run up TTN2, goto the Map Screen, then FILE | PROPERTIES and then goto the POI/Advanced tab. You should find all the OV2's listed in there, tick the new ones and OK.

Now all you need to do is goto the Navigator Safety Screen, tap and NAVIGATE TO and select Point Of Interest. You'll need to browse to the POI group but you should then be able to pick a postcode. This works the same for any POI that you add.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: