Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roman Numerals
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roman Numerals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Roman Numerals Reply with quote

Yesterday I learnt that CCL is the 'roman numeral' for 250.
How? well, i was at CCL Computers to pick up some new stuff and i saved it as a favourite as i often go there when i'm out and about n can never remember how to get to it other than from the centre of bradford...

so, i wanted i to look right and instead of Ccl Computers (as it defaults when you type the name) i made sure it was CCL Computers.

later, i was messing about with the nuvi and set it to direct me to CCL Computers and it read it as 'two hundred and fifty computers' - caught me by surprise for a bit then i realised it was reading it as roman numerals but when i renamed it to Ccl it said 'see see ell computers' as you would expect....

weird eh?! i'm still trying to work out why roman numerals would benefit a modern sat nav unit!

MaFt
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a village in Shropshire called Ruyton-XI-Towns. I have put the Street map link below.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=338715&Y=321995&A=Y&Z=3

Perhaps it is there purely for that.

Nick.
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, you learn something everyday. I grew up just down the road and have only found out that this is the only place in the world with Roman numerals in its name. Would seem that Garmin were wise in the way of small towns in Salop if they put this function in just for Ruyton!
Quote:
Ruyton XI Towns is the only place in the world with Roman numerals in its name! In 1308, the Earl of Arundel, created the new Borough of Ruyton, within the manor of the eleven townships. All eleven towns still exist but some no more than one or two houses. In 1886 the borough status was rescinded the name of Ruyton XI Towns was retained. The Charter 2008 Group are planning several events leading up to the 700th anniversary of Ruyton`s Borough Charter.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.... i wonder if some different countries use roman numerals for their road numbers?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Council, having decided to spend their money on matters other than road repairs, put up loads of large marker stones at the entrance to villages marked e.g. Keynsham MM

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: