Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MIO Map confusing addresses
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MIO Map confusing addresses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cappuccino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: MIO Map confusing addresses Reply with quote

Has anyone experienced the following problem with any other part of the GB map?

Newark-on-Trent (aka Newark) and the surrounding villages share several road names, e.g. both Newark and Tuxford have a Lincoln Road and both Newark and Balderton have a Manners Road.

MIO Map incorrectly refers to the villages beginning with the nearby town's name, e.g. Newark, Tuxford and Newark, Balderton rather than Tuxford, Newark and Balderton, Newark.

When searching, either by using town name or postcode, each of these examples returns a single match, i.e. Lincoln Road (Tuxford/Newark/Newark-on-Trent/Newark, Winthorpe/Newark, ... NG22 0/NG24 ) and Manners Road (Newark-on-Trent/Newark/Newark, Balderton NG24 3/ NG24 1).

The first of these returns addresses in Tuxford (some 13 miles from the target if you wanted, and selected, Newark or a Newark postcode), while the second returns the Newark address over the Balderton one which is a rather more respectable one mile away (past one roundabout, three sets of traffic lights and numerous smaller junctions).

Not sure if this issue only affects this one part of the country or is merely an example of a more widespread problem, but the fact that it cannot navigate to so many addresses means that at this time it appears to fail to meet the basic requirement under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 that goods must be fit for their purpose.

We are generally impressed with the layout and function of the C510 and its software and you expect the odd problem address or missing new build - but this is beyond a joke!
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something similar, but this seems to have been resolved with v3.2 software.

With the previous software, the town where I live seemed to be relegated to be a suburb of the bigger town nearby, so that when entering a road in my town which also had an identical named one in the bigger town, the software would always assume I meant the road in the bigger town.

And when are the software gurus going to realise the subtle distinction between "town" and "city" in the UK?

Peasemold
Cappuccino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:
I had something similar, but this seems to have been resolved with v3.2 software....the software would always assume I meant the road in the bigger town.

Unfortunately v3.2 hasn't solved our problem, but when I get chance I'm going to try rolling back the maps/software to see if it caused it.

Sadly we also lack the predictability you had as the whether it chooses the main town or the suburb varies - need to identify more results to know if there is a pattern as currently it could be random, descending alphabetical order, or even North to South! Rolling Eyes
Cappuccino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cappuccino wrote:
Peasemold wrote:
I had something similar, but this seems to have been resolved with v3.2 software....the software would always assume I meant the road in the bigger town.

Unfortunately v3.2 hasn't solved our problem, but when I get chance I'm going to try rolling back the maps/software to see if it caused it.

Sadly we also lack the predictability you had as the whether it chooses the main town or the suburb varies - need to identify more results to know if there is a pattern as currently it could be random, descending alphabetical order, or even North to South! Rolling Eyes

MIO finally got back to me:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Mio Tech Support. In reference to your email dated January 4, you can use the Tele Atlas support website where you can report map errors (incorrect addresses,speedlimits etc.). A reference number will be given so you can follow up the reported issue by yourself.

Go to the Tele Atlas Support site

http://www.teleatlas.com/MapInsight/index.htm

We also have taken into account with some common map errors as this will be improved in the near future.

Their level of support doesn't get any better! Evil or Very Mad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincon road gives multiple search hits on my pda version lincon bridge road comes up which leads on to lincon as the is there and named on the map then most likely a search database errorif were looking at the same road this is at the top of northgateand the a46 roundabout you could get there via poi as a work around as a macdonalds is listed

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Cappuccino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
lincon road gives multiple search hits on my pda version lincon bridge road comes up which leads on to lincon as the is there and named on the map then most likely a search database errorif were looking at the same road this is at the top of northgateand the a46 roundabout you could get there via poi as a work around as a macdonalds is listed

Thanks but I don't actually need to find Lincoln Road, this was just an example of the many addresses around Newark that get confused in searches on our MIO - as you say the database is in error, the only question is whether the problem is with the raw data supplied to MIO, whatever processing MIO perform on it before releasing it to customers, or the software handling within the unit.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no map is ever perfect it could be either or both there are always omissions and errors everywhere ive been so far with igo running has been fine with very few errors

device Lumia 950 xl
Cappuccino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
no map is ever perfect it could be either or both there are always omissions and errors everywhere ive been so far with igo running has been fine with very few errors

The odd omission or error is to be expected but incorrectly naming whole districts in this way is not an acceptable level of quality control - I've known people lose their jobs over less.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill try the same thing on tt6 when I get home as they use the same map supplier

device Lumia 950 xl
Cappuccino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
ill try the same thing on tt6 when I get home as they use the same map supplier

Thanks Alex776 that'd be very useful.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty big problem isn't it? The unit, as you say, is unable to identify identical road names as different geographical units and subsequently just lists identical road names as belonging to the same town or, more perplexingly, even nearby towns (see below).

There is however a very partial workaround (at least I think there is): selecting the intersection option allows you to identify the correct road. You don't necessarily need local knowledge to do this but you do need at least the first part of the postcode. Far from perfect - it doesn't get you to your exact destination - but it does seem to work.

I would be shocked if the problem is with the maps themselves - it's surely more likely to be a problem with how Mio software organises districts in relation to nearby major towns.

It isn't an uncommon problem with the Mio either.

Try a town search for "Chobham" which is identified by the Mio as being eith "Chobham [Surrey, United Kindom]" or as "Woking, Chobham [Surrey United Kingdom]"

Select either the "Woking Chobham" option or just the "Chobham" option and now select "Chobham Road". Not very helpful at all!

It's a major flaw. The problem seems to rest in the fact that there isn't another selection displayed after you pick the road name: "Chobham Road Ottershaw/Chobham/Ascot/Sunningdale/Ascot, Sunningdale/Vi... GU25 4/KT16 0/GU24 8/GU21 5/GU2." doesn't lead you to a menu asking to pick which one you want.

An odd oversight my Mitac?
Cappuccino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
It's a pretty big problem isn't it? The unit, as you say, is unable to identify identical road names as different geographical units and subsequently just lists identical road names as belonging to the same town or, more perplexingly, even nearby towns...

I would be shocked if the problem is with the maps themselves - it's surely more likely to be a problem with how Mio software organises districts in relation to nearby major towns.

It isn't an uncommon problem with the Mio either...

It's a major flaw...

Thanks Retty, on the one hand I'm glad that someone else has been able to corroborate the problem as I'm sure some people must have just put it down to operator error based on the lack of responses.

On the other hand though I'm sorry to hear that it is a more widespread problem and that it is inconveniencing others too.

I'm still waiting for a further response from Mitac but will keep you all informed about any progress.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cappuccino wrote:
Retty wrote:
It's a pretty big problem isn't it? The unit, as you say, is unable to identify identical road names as different geographical units and subsequently just lists identical road names as belonging to the same town or, more perplexingly, even nearby towns...

It isn't an uncommon problem with the Mio either...

It's a major flaw...

Thanks Retty, on the one hand I'm glad that someone else has been able to corroborate the problem as I'm sure some people must have just put it down to operator error based on the lack of responses.

On the other hand though I'm sorry to hear that it is a more widespread problem and that it is inconveniencing others too.

I'm still waiting for a further response from Mitac but will keep you all informed about any progress.

I don't fancy the chances of getting a sensible response or even the chances of Mitac understanding the problem.

The problem seems to be the result of a major oversight in the Miomap software - that and a combination of the oddly complicated (by European standards) UK road naming and postcode habits.

I haven't tried to replicate the problem on other OEM iGO powered products but I bet that the problem is less to do with Mitac and more to do with the iGO software. I don't know if this bodes well or ill for a solution!

The problem doesn't seem to exist on even lower range TomTom products - whatever the map provider :-(

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: