Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN6 with Palm TX? (plus where to buy?!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN6 with Palm TX? (plus where to buy?!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilimost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind though, that the 650 would just use the internal cellular radio to connect to their online services, so the BT1.1 limitation is not really an issue with it...
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the plunge and bought TTN6 for my TX. Error when I first put in the SD card about heap memory but that was sorted by a quick soft reset. Installed fine and registered the included UK map via WiFi without any problems. Connected via BT to the included TT GPS receiver (code is 0000!) and after about 5 min locked on to the satellites and map moved to correct location. Seems to be working fine :D

Only problem I've had is that the TT Home software doesn't seem to recognise the Palm as being connected - not sure if anyone's had luck with this.

Cheers

Alan
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanjrobertson wrote:
Only problem I've had is that the TT Home software doesn't seem to recognise the Palm as being connected - not sure if anyone's had luck with this.

The issue is that everything relevant is stored on your external storage card, but connecting your Palm to your computer for Home doesn't gain access to the card - it's the reason why TT indicate that Palm owners will need an external card reader to download maps - it's not the truth, but it's a lot easier than defining all the alternative options.

I disregarded their advice and made sure that I had my external card mounted onto my Mac OS desktop (a solution for PCs exists too) before I tried to download.

The additional software required to allow Home to see the card (on Mac and on PC) is detailed in this thread.

Hope this helps.
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, OK - I see what you mean now. I've got a USB card reader and I actually noticed that when I had the TT Home SW running and inserted the card it did recognise that the TTN SW was on it and checked it for an update. It still wouldn't show it as a recognised device though and I couldn't really use any of the functions of TT Home. It looks like TTN updates are able to be delivered over WiFi anyway direct to the PDA (well at least there is an update function I noticed in the menu).

Cheers

Alan
sethb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got Tomtom 6 for use with a Palm TX. Unfortunately, it appears, I got the software on DVD rather than SD card. Is there a way to load it onto my TX anyway? (Direct loading onto the SD card would be fine, too.)

Thanks,

Seth
mikewyatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just got TT6 for TungstenT5 - used TTHome -

had to change to larger SD Card as updates would not fit onto 256 card, copied existing card to new card then loaded updates, maps loaded OK but not recognised using TT5 (expected), installed TT6 but get an ARM Load Error - TomTom SD card ejected! Error#2 followed by No SD card

Any ideas?

Mike
jdoyle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This maybe because the Palm still has the TT5 files on it. So the TT5 is just finding TT6 files and hence the errors.

Try removing from Palm
CurrentMap.dat
*.mac
*-map.cfg
start.appl

** Backup first ***
rgds
John

mikewyatt wrote:
Have just got TT6 for TungstenT5 - used TTHome -

had to change to larger SD Card as updates would not fit onto 256 card, copied existing card to new card then loaded updates, maps loaded OK but not recognised using TT5 (expected), installed TT6 but get an ARM Load Error - TomTom SD card ejected! Error#2 followed by No SD card

Any ideas?

Mike
mikewyatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I don't have any of those files on the T5 !!!

At thte moment I have reinstated the original backup onto the 1Gb SD card and it is working OK with TT5

Have spoken with support and they are supposed to be sending me TT5 compatible maps in the next few days
mikewyatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I don't have any of those files on the T5 !!!

At thte moment I have reinstated the original backup onto the 1Gb SD card and it is working OK with TT5

Have spoken with support and they are supposed to be sending me TT5 compatible maps in the next few days
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan - I pm'd you to find out where you stood with reference to getting TTN6 working on your TX, but never did get a reply, so thought a reply here might flag your email.

Also - I contacted support at TomTom (and actually received a reply that answered my question, within a day or so - a huge improvement over past attempts). I asked them if there was some way that since the TX isn't officially supported by TTN6, that I could purchase the updated maps, and just use those with my TTN5.

Their reply:

"Since new maps require the NAVIGATOR 6 application, TomTom will not be able to offer a map upgrade program for older versions of NAVIGATOR, unless the device is NAVIGATOR 6 compatible. "

Some of the posts here and elsewhere imply that this is not actually true, and that updated maps can be obtained that will be compatible with TTN5. Does anybody know which is true?

Thanks.
mikewyatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLCPhoto wrote:
Alan - I pm'd you to find out where you stood with reference to getting TTN6 working on your TX, but never did get a reply, so thought a reply here might flag your email.

Also - I contacted support at TomTom (and actually received a reply that answered my question, within a day or so - a huge improvement over past attempts). I asked them if there was some way that since the TX isn't officially supported by TTN6, that I could purchase the updated maps, and just use those with my TTN5.

Their reply:

"Since new maps require the NAVIGATOR 6 application, TomTom will not be able to offer a map upgrade program for older versions of NAVIGATOR, unless the device is NAVIGATOR 6 compatible. "

Some of the posts here and elsewhere imply that this is not actually true, and that updated maps can be obtained that will be compatible with TTN5. Does anybody know which is true?

Thanks.

Yes, they are available for TT5, they just supplied me for my T5.

Their ordering is a bit confusing, I thought I was ordering the correct version but it was actually theTT6 update - I had to raise issue with support to get correct version

Mike
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewyatt wrote:

Their ordering is a bit confusing, I thought I was ordering the correct version but it was actually theTT6 update - I had to raise issue with support to get correct version

Thanks for the reply and info. Somehow typical that TomTom's support is apparently not giving correct information, in that your experience directly contradicts the email response I received from TomTom.

So - you're saying that you were able to upgrade your TTN5 installation to newer version maps? If so, exactly how is this to be done, and what is the cost? I want to make sure I do everything right, as I don't want to have to work with TomTom support, given how difficult and inaccurate they have proven in the past.

Don
mikewyatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLCPhoto wrote:
mikewyatt wrote:

Thanks for the reply and info. Somehow typical that TomTom's support is apparently not giving correct information, in that your experience directly contradicts the email response I received from TomTom.

So - you're saying that you were able to upgrade your TTN5 installation to newer version maps? If so, exactly how is this to be done, and what is the cost? I want to make sure I do everything right, as I don't want to have to work with TomTom support, given how difficult and inaccurate they have proven in the past.

Don

The process I went through is as follows !!

1. Order the map for download, choose other device, it will then give you the new UK snd Ireland maps - however!!! - these will probably be TT6 with the TT6 with the TT6 upgrade !!

2. Contact support by telephone and tell them what happened (I have found them to be helpful and quick on the phone)

3. They will check it out and then get the appropriate dept to change the +Services entry to the correct one (takes a couple of days)

4. Download the correct maps from your +Services page and run the install program - only pc as far as I can tell (.exe file)

5. Transfer to Palm - both maps will show

Cost is same as TT6 upgrade 49 euro

DO BACK UP FIRST THOUGH !!

Regards

Mike
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply and info, Mike.

I'm in the U.S. and don't know if the map upgrade process will be any different here. I may try and call support before trying anything, especially since what they told you directly contradicts what they said to me via email.

Best,
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLCPhoto wrote:
Hi Don
Quite right - I hadn't realised you'd sent a PM (the forum settings were set to not send e-mail notification for some reason) but your post here flagged it up.

I've never had TTN5 so I can't compare it for speed with TTN6 but I've certainly not had any problems with sluggish response - it's all run extremely well.

The only 3 minor issues I've had are:
1) Occasionally getting a ''stack error'' when trying to load the software
2) After using it then switching the TX off and on (eg, after stopping for a break) it doesn''t always ''find'' the Bluetooth GPS receiver again
3) Sometimes when I switch on my TX I find that TTN loads even when it wasn't the last app I accessed.

1 & 2 are easily fixed by a soft reset, 3 - you just have to exit it! (although I've now deleted a .prc from the root directory of the files copied over from the TTN SD card and this seems to have solved things).

I had a read at the other threads you mentioned on Brighthand and they also seem to refer to DBCache issues. As I mentioned in my case I've just done a soft reset to get around this rather than installing extra cache management software but I noticed one thread that indicated that larger maps (e.g. USA) may cause more problems from this point of view and may therefore lead to the more sluggish performance. I'm using the UK + major roads of Europe map and have been fine with this but I'm guessing the USA map (or the full European level map) will be larger and conceivably may then run in to problems. Would be useful if someone using that map on their TX could confirm if things are running OK for them.

Cheers

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: