Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT6 speed alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT6 speed alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: TT6 speed alerts Reply with quote

I read something on here about TT6 alerting you when you go too fast, or did I dream it Confused

TomTom Go 600
g0wfv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here before, but it certainly knows about the speed limit on some roads, and if you go over this limit it'll flash the speed red!
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that for TomTom Go or Navigator?

TomTom Go 600
Boldzak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korndog wrote:
Is that for TomTom Go or Navigator?

Don't know about TT Go, but it does it for Navigator 6, so long as TT6 knows the limit for that road.

Instead of showing your current speed (e.g. "72"), it changes to current speed/road limit (e.g. "72/70"), and this flashes in red.

However, as this "72/70" uses the same screen area as the "70", the font is smaller, making it pretty hard to read comfortably, especially in portrait. The red text (and the fact that it flashes) doesn't make it any easier to read either.

Note, the "72" mph is purely for illustration purposes Smile
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'll give it go. I don't normally have the speed displayed cos it makes it hard to read ETA and remaining distance.

TomTom Go 600
g0wfv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BoldzakNote, the "72" mph is purely for illustration purposes Smile[/quote]
At 72mph you shoud be safe! http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/faq.html#ACPO Wink
And yes this is in TTNav 6.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0wfv wrote:
BoldzakNote wrote:
the "72" mph is purely for illustration purposes Smile

At 72mph you shoud be safe! http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/faq.html#ACPO Wink
And yes this is in TTNav 6.
From the same site
Quote:
Bear in mind that exceeding a speed limit by any amount whatsoever is an absolute offence, and a police officer is fully entitled to charge a driver for doing, say, 31 in a 30 limit outside a school at closing time, or in a busy High Street.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does "absolute offence" refer strictly to the matter of breaking the law, or does it also encompass the 'offence' that is caused to other motorists obeying the speed limit when they are overtaken by a speeding driver? Wink
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah!! It works!! I switched off ETA so I can read it. Gets a bit annoying on motorways, continuously flashing that is.
It does go off though over 120 mph :D Only joking, it's good for morale :D

TomTom Go 600
Gopalc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Sounds on speed limit breach Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone knows how to get the (Beep) sound on Tom Tom One, when speed limit has breached ?

Thanks
G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot get the unit to emit an audio warning when exceeding the speed limit, the best solution is to know where the speed cameras are and use these for the warning of camera location, type and speed. This will give you spoken alerts, but only you control the vehicles speed, local restrictions also have to be taken into consideration when driving - Mike
Hensepens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TT6 speed alerts Reply with quote

korndog wrote:
I read something on here about TT6 alerting you when you go too fast, or did I dream it Confused

There are three ways of alerting:
1. Introducing max speed. When your are driving faster then a selected limit you will see a blue screen showing your next move (as you can normally see at the left bottom)
2. You can let TT warn you when approaching a POI. You can select a sound and distance to warn you.
3. For some roads TT nows the speed limit. When you select to display current speed on your screen, you see current speed [slash]max speed allowed on the road you are driving on. When you are speeding your current speed will change color from white to red. This option works for many roads in The Netherlands.
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0wfv wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned on here before, but it certainly knows about the speed limit on some roads, and if you go over this limit it'll flash the speed red!

And boy is it annoying!

The main problem is the inaccuracy of the speed limit information. I'm finding it irritating in the extreme, telling me I'm doing 50 in a 30 zone (where the M3 drops to a 50 limit, it thinks it's 30), 40 in a 30 (which is now a 40) and many, many more. Is there any way to turn the red flashing off?

Poltical_point: If ever They want to use GPS-based speed limiters on cars, the data's going to need to be a whole lot better than it currently is.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graculus wrote:
Poltical_point: If ever They want to use GPS-based speed limiters on cars, the data's going to need to be a whole lot better than it currently is.
It wouldn't take long to fool that sort of device and disable it, perhaps the authorities are daft enough to try it though!

As for switching off the red flashing warning you can do this by going to Change Preferences/ Status bar preferences and untick the speed category, the downside is you loose the GPS speed information on the display completely or you have to put up with the inaccurate speed information and the associated red flashing display - Mike
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I got to test this new feature out this week for the first time on a trip into the midlands.

Living on a trunk road all stated well. Into the first new village it picked up the 30 limit reduced from 40 about 2 yrs ago but on crossing the roundabout I was back to 40 (should be 30, changed at same time) the new 50 as you leave the village (6 months old, after fatal accident on bends) was nowhere in sight.

Several more villages were fine then just outside Kington It gave me a non existent 30. Then passing through Eardisly where the road goes into an A and four digit class the limit disappeared completely. The same turning off the main road to go round the top of Hereford and the B road to Newent from Trumpet, yes the limit knowledge is very limited.

Worse though was to follow. Heading up from Worcester to Kidderminster the speeds were all over the shop including a change to 70 as we entered a 40mph dual carriageway from a 50mph single carriage section.

Sure the idea is great in principle but this implementation is a menace.

Oh and to cap it all the shades of red and blue used are in my weak area on colour blindness so when I do exceed what TT believe is the speed limit I loose my ability to use the GPS as a better guide of what speed I am doing at a glance.

And the final insult its a non user configurable option.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: