Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backup and Restore with tomtom and 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup and Restore with tomtom and 2210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vandome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Backup and Restore with tomtom and 2210 Reply with quote

HELP!! Sad

Is any one else out there having problems with backing up their 2210 with tomtom 2 installed?

I received my ipaq 2210 a month ago and installed TTN2 and other software onto it. Everything worked fine, I used the 2210 with the Furtuna Clip On Bluetooth GPS and test drove it a couple of times with great success. I then did a backup of the whole system using Ipaq Backup (not including permanent storage like the SD card). It went through the motions without any problems.
A few days later I wanted to restore the backed up file. So again using Ipaq Backup I went through the restore process. No problems and at the end it asked me to do a soft reset. So I did and when it went through the start-up process, the bar that goes across went right to the end and then just froze (instead of displaying the Today screen).

I waited half an hour (hoping in vein that Windows was just sorting things out), but eventually I gave up and did a Hard reset.

To cut a long story short, I have tried everything to solve this problem - with no success, I'm even using a replacement 2210, but this has exactly the same problem.

It is not the backup software as I have installed the Sprite Premium Backup, which has exactly the same problem as the Ipaq Backup.
All the other software backs up fine (without tomtom installed) and restores with no problems.
If I do a hard reset and only install the tomtom software it works fine, and backs up fine but again when I restore it and then soft reset - it freezes at the start up. Of course if I keep pressing reset, the start up process bar restarts, and then freezes when it reaches the end.

I have narrowed the problem down to one file "ttbtdev.dll"
If I install all the software I want, including tomtom, do a full back like before and then when I restore, select every file except "ttbtdev.dll" then the system reboots without freezing. I can use all the programmes including tomtom without any problems - except one - I can't access the Bluetooth Serial port on COM8, it simply isn't there as an option, which ultimately means I can't communicate with the Bluetooth GPS.

No matter what I do (and believe me I have tried EVERYTHING) the end result is the same. The 2210 works fine without any glitches whatever I install, where ever I install it, but the moment I want to restore a previously backed up image, whether it's a few files or all the files, if it includes the "ttbtdev.dll" file then the 2210 will not reboot properly and I have to start again from scratch.

The problem also seems to exist when I uninstall the tomtom wizard and the GPS drivers and install the latest updates. It seems to have something to do with "altering" the GPS drivers, whether it's overwriting or updating them.

Is it just me or does nobody else backup their system or have any probs if they do? I can't believe I am the only one with this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Have you tried Reply with quote

Have you tried ensuring that the bluetooth is turned off before doing your backup and again your restore. Sprite will not disable the bluetooth service or overwrite the active bluetooth dll.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of TomTom's GPS Driver are you using? This sounds like another side effect of TomTom's GPS v2.08 and v2.09 driver bugs?
Vandome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I always backup and restore with bluetooth off.

The disc I use to install tomtom has "setup 3.92" at the top left of the install wizard.

The Tom Tom GPS is version 2.08 - Where can I get an older driver from?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have v2.07 available for download here. It is the latest driver that does not have the Bluetooth issues that appeared with v2.08 and v2.09.
Vandome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the download.

I have tried using the 2.07 driver by installing it over the 2.08 and that didn't work. When I go to select my GPS device, I select the Baud Rate "SiRF 38400" , then "Bluetooth Serial Port COM8" and when I go to press the tick box, the machine beeps at me and doesn't let me select my GPS device.

I have also tried installing the 2.07 driver first and then the rest of the tomtom software - same result.

..and I've tried installing all the original software, uninstalling the 2.08 driver and then installing the 2.07 one - and yes you've guessed it, same problem

Argh!
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it has anything to do with the version of GPS driver... I've had the exact same problem and I'm running version 2.06 of the GPS. Never been able to restore a complete system backup, I had to do a hard reset. Mind you, I never actually tried it without Navigator installed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall any instances of TomTom GPS or TomTom ~ GPS and then soft-reset before re-installing v2.07.
Vandome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uninstalled all instances of TomTom GPS and TomTom ~ GPS and then did a soft reset and then installed 2.07 - it still keeps beeping at me.

Maybe the main programme is too recent for the old driver. I don't know how to check which version I have, but I would think it is the one before the latest (like the GPS driver).

Does anyone know where I can get an older version of the main programme which will definitely work with the GPS driver 2.07 - or is that not the problem?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the latest version of TomTom (v2.24) and use v2.07 of the GPS Driver with a 2210 and TomTom BT GPS and it works fine?

Have you tried NMEA@38400?
Vandome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have also tried NMEA@38400 setting.

Is it possible that the machine is faulty (however it is my second one with the same problem as the first)
Vandome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

-just a thought-

I think the GPS driver you have is an update rather than the full version and this may be why my machine beeps at me when I try to select my bluetooth device.

Do you have the full version of all the programmes (eg. GPS, main programme, voice files, etc) so I can install these without having to install any of the files on my tomtom CD?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean, the 'updates' I have are the versions available from TomTom's website. The updates are for application and GPS. Items such as voice files etc can only be had from the installation CD.
Vandome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with your GPS 2.07 driver is that it doesn't work when installed as the first GPS driver (i.e.. if their isn't already a driver on the PC). This leads me to believe that the driver relies on a previous version already being installed.

If I install the driver from the software CD or the very latest driver first; when I come to install any version of the GPS driver over that, the system crashes.

In other words - although the drivers 2.08 and 2.09 work fine, they won't allow me to backup and restore (because it involves writing over the "ttbtdev.dll" file, which makes the system crash), but whilst the driver 2.07 may allow this, it doesn't work if I install it first.

I have been on the tomtom website and the only files I can download are the latest drivers. Where can I get the type of files that would be released on a CD as opposed to the updates?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: