Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Time to First Fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to First Fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Time to First Fix Reply with quote

I have a TomTom bluetooth receiver and an hp2210 PDA. I have frequent trouble getting a first fix. The symptoms I get are:

- Time to first fix is variable but mostly about 10 minutes (80-90% of the time), occasionally 40 minutes or more and occasionally 10 seconds or so.

-During this time the GPS screen on my IPAQ 2210 shows 3, 4 or 5 grey bars and indicates that it is communicating with the receiver.

- Occasionally I get an effective fix which then disappears after 5 or 10 seconds although mostly once I have a fix it remains fixed – often for hundreds of miles.

- If the unit is turned off for a few minutes, such as when I stop to buy fuel, I get exactly the same symptoms when it is switched on again.

- The unit is usually used in a Peugeot 206 and powered via the cigar lighter socket with the adapter supplied by TomTom. If used outside of my car I get the same symptoms. I have tried different positions within the car without success.

I have sent the unit back to the supplier who has replaced it with a new unit. It worked fine the first few times but now I'm experiencing the same problems. Any ideas what I can do before I take a hammer to it?

Cheers.

R1chard
stevex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had similar problems to yours(i have a 1940 though) and i drive a Peugeot 307. I called TT in Holland and they suggested attempting to get a fix outside the car. This i did and i got a fix virtually immediatly, good strength too.

They also suggested trying it in different positions on the dashboard. This i did but no better.

On the top of my screen, behind the rear view mirror, i have an area of small black dots. I sat my receiver on the top of the mirror and got a brilliant signal. It would now appear that myu screen has some sort of reflective material in it.

My 307 was in for a new clutch last week and i had a 206 courtesy car.

I tried my receiver on the dashboard and it was as good as on top of the mirror in the 307. This convinced my about the screen issue.

So, i have tried all the solutions for you. I would suggest that your new receiver may also be faulty.

Tomtom in holland are really helpful, it is well worth giving them a call, it won't cost much and you may get the answer you need....Straight from the horses mouth as it were...

Good luck

Stevex
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Thanks for the response. I'm beginning to think you're right as I've just been testing it on the roof of the car and the patch behind the mirror and it seems to work ok.

The difficulty I've had in diagnosing this has been the random nature of the problem - sometimes it's ok and sometimes (i.e. most times) it's not. Maybe it also has something to do with atmospherics interferring with the signal.

Anyway I think a re-radiating antenna is probably the answer. The cheapest I can locate on the net is at http://www.handnav.co.uk/html/product.php?brand=ANTENNA&category=ACCESSORIES - £44.99 (inc VAT) and post free. Something else to stick in my overloaded cigar lighter. Good job I don't smoke!

R1chard
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fitted a re-radiating antenna to my Peugeot 206. Works a treat!

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: