Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed limit exceedence warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed limit exceedence warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oooyaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: speed limit exceedence warning Reply with quote

I have more points on my licence than I want and I need some help in not getting more. What I need is a system that gives me a warning when I am exceeding the local speed limit. In other words I need a system that has an internal knowledge of what speed limit is in force for any bit of road. 30, 40, 50 etc mph.

I am surprised that this is not a very much sought after facility but I have been into several stores in the last 2 days and looked at several websites and information on this facility is not easily come by.

The closest reference is on the tomtom website where they quote for the tom tom one:-

„Optional warning when exceeding recorded speed limit (if available from map data)“

What does this mean exactly?
How good are their maps?
Do I have to pay more to get this feature?

Can anyone help me please.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the only system that I know of to monitor the road speed is a combination of the road signs and the brain controlling the cars speed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but no mapping system will ever be 100% reliable, road speeds change all the time, so the data would be out of date before it was created let alone issued or used.

The new TomTom maps do contain the road speed limit for certain roads (not all though) and in places it is incorrect, I wouldn't trust it for avoiding points etc. This feature is built in and doesn't cost any extra, the display simply changes the speed display from white to red, then if your speed rises further it will start to flash in red, the problem is the dark red colour is very difficult to read in practice.
Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is the MK1 eyeball!

However, our Safety Camera database might help you improve your awareness! If you use the Speed Zoned version (£19/year) on a compatible GPS Navigation device you will get on screen and audible alerts as you approach a speed camera or mobile site and the enforced speed limit will be announced, i.e. GATSO 50mph. Used on a device such as the latest TomTom ONE (£199) you will also have an on screen display of the current speed limit which covers the majority of A roads and M-Ways and this will flash RED if you exceed the legal limit.

Might be the solution you are looking for?
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is such a device available - it's called a speedometer!
OTH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be linked to your right foot via a device called a brain. I've used it for many years and it works perfectly.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww,come on now guys. he was asking a serious question!

hopefully mike and darren have explained well enough.

MaFt
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the sooner he/she gets the remaining points required for a ban the better, if he/she can't read a road sign they are a danger to everyone and shouldn't be on the road.

To old to die young.
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ease back a little guys as someone who drives in excess of 20k per year on business I would like nothing more than a definitive speed limit guide for my sat nav.

This country is a mess of 20,30,40,50 and 70mph limits with no real logic left as to what the actual speed is. Even worse in urban areas there is a dearth of repeater signs so even if you want to stay legal its easy to mess it up.

So what is the problem? Why no product?

The reality is (and I speak as a GI professional) that this almost falls into the too difficult too costly bracket.

Motorways are relatively easy but when you move off them your are into a different world of constantly changing traffic regulations.

The simple solution would be to use GPS locations of signs and network analysis to build up limit area polygons. However not every sign is exactly where it should be and some minor roads have signs missing resulting is limit bleeds out into each other.

Even then if you could overcome this issue would anyone realistically want to publish this given the litigous nature of our society.

PEte
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even worse in urban areas there is a dearth of repeater signs so even if you want to stay legal its easy to mess it up.

If there are so many repeater signs how can you get it wrong?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Even worse in urban areas there is a dearth of repeater signs so even if you want to stay legal its easy to mess it up.

Embarassed "Dearth" = "Lack of".

I'm afraid, oooyaaa you really will have to follow the advice to wise up and stay below the limits. The tip I mentioned elsewhere was to change DOWN gears to make speeding less likely - for my van, I use 3rd gear for 20mph, 4th for 30mph and 5th for 40+ so I remember what the speed limit is according to what gear I'm in. If I miss seeing a deristriction or higher limit sign, so what?, I'll be within the limit anyway. For a Ferrari I suppose that means staying in first gear for ever!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Dearth" = "Lack of".

What? No wait, what i meant was... Hang on, if there aren't many then.. No. If there is a Dearth then.......

Aww, nuts!

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Laughing

Not quite sure how i got that one so wrong.

Apologies to rhayader_wanderer.
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Christmas, apology accepted :D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An almost definitive answer is "There is no system capable of what you want at the moment" !!!

The reason for this is that in the UK the main road network is surveyed and maintained by two companies Ordnance Survey, and Navteq. I am unsure about the data that Navteq releases to the GPS Software companies, but I do know that Ordnance Survey do not have a complete list of speeds in thier database. In fact it was something they asked us about last time we saw them.

Essentially there are no hard and fast rules to speed limits on different road categories. Not only that but also Local roads often have thier speed limits suddenly dropped, often in conjunction with a speed camera appearing (cybical moi?). We were asked if we would consider a project collecting Road Speed Signs as a poi database.

So unless this data has been collected privately it is unlikely to appear in SatNav products for some time. Maybe someone in Navteq can educate me as to the data they provide to their SatNav Manufacturer clients.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Embarassed "Dearth" = "Lack of".

I'm afraid, oooyaaa you really will have to follow the advice to wise up and stay below the limits. The tip I mentioned elsewhere was to change DOWN gears to make speeding less likely - for my van, I use 3rd gear for 20mph, 4th for 30mph and 5th for 40+ so I remember what the speed limit is according to what gear I'm in. If I miss seeing a deristriction or higher limit sign, so what?, I'll be within the limit anyway. For a Ferrari I suppose that means staying in first gear for ever!

In the UK if there are no repeater signs evident then you can assume thet the limit is 30mph. In a built-up area if you miss the "de-restriction" (e.g. from 30 to 40) then a glance at the side streets may help - they will be signed 30 mph. If they are 20mph then it's no help. Smile

Whilst it would be very nice to have this accurately available in a piece of sat nav s/w it would not take into account changes to speed limits and the variable speed limits on the M25 etc. There would appear to be, at present, no substitute for using our eyes.

We need something be done using bluetooth type technology to transmit current speed limit info to in-car devices? If someone goes and invents it - remember they saw it here!
Pjsmiffy1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: speed limits Reply with quote

My new "shiny" Packard Bell gps 400 seems faily good at telling me I am over the speed limit. It seems to lower the limit if in dought (there is a strech of road at 50 that she insists is lower) and slip roads.
Although there is no better solution to knowing the road and where the local constablary like to park.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: