Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New way to do custom POI warnings in TomTom 5 & 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New way to do custom POI warnings in TomTom 5 & 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howard1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markmcrobie wrote:
Ok, thanks

I have a curiousity question - Why would you choose anything other than "only warn if on route"? Why would you want to be warned of something not on your route?

Because on roads like dual carageways and motorways your device will only pick up the camera if it on your side of the road. What if the camera is on a bridge and is now loking at your side of the road ?
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howard1 wrote:
What if the camera is on a bridge and is now loking at your side of the road ?
Then first of all, it's on your side of the road!

However, I am assuming you have only recently had your device and you will soon learn that not everything is always plain sailing, or as it should be.
(Sorry but nothing is perfect).

I have in the past travelled down the M5 J1 West Bromwich with a journey set for Stourbridge.
Somewhere around J2 I was alerted several times of speed cameras at 30 and 40 MPH.
As it happens, these cameras were on roads "below the motorway, or could just as well have been on my journey had I not been on the motorway. (Again, somethings we have to put up with).

But at least if in that region again I will remember their are cameras about.
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: - why would you NOT want to "Warn only if poi is on route".

I'm pretty sure that a TOMTOM can be used to warn for POI's (i.e. Speed Cam's) without following a pre-defined route if you don't check this box when managing the POI's. Therefore, the device can be used as a very handy speed camera warning device when driving on a non-mapped journey.
If, however, the " warn only if poi is on route" is checked, then the warnings will not be issued unless all driving is planned and routed via the tomtom.

There are advantages and diadvantages to checking/un-checking this box: -
If checked, then the warning will only be issued for a camera / poi on the actual road on which your'e driving, BUT, you will then NOT be warned if you don't use the tomtom to map each and every journey.

by NOT checking the box, tomtom will warn of ALL speed cams / POI's within the vicinity of X hundred yards - great for non planned journeys, but can be a pain by alerting you to cameras on adjacent roads. However, this feature is great if you just start to drive without first setting your route via TOMTOM.

Anyone verify this??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggsactly right, rfselec Smile

What is needed, (and I suggested this to TomTom ages ago, but got no reply as usual) is:

either THREE set-up options (complicated), or a simple change to:
1. Warn at all times
2. Warn only when on route UNLESS no route is set (in which case warn anyway).
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
1. Warn at all times
2. Warn only when on route UNLESS no route is set (in which case warn anyway).

Excellent suggestion andy, it would certainly save having to keep selecting or de-selecting the POI/Cameras depending on which mode you wanted especially if using a multitude of POi's/Cameras..
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT 700 - App 5.201 - Map: ‘Western Europe-Map’ v568 ( I know - I'm a dinosaur - but it works ok for me)

For the PGPSW cameras I have on my device (the full Speed Zoned set)I have it set to "Warn Only When On Route" ALL the time. If I know where I want to go but don't know how to get there, I set the route and let Jane take me there.

If I know where I want to go AND know how how to get there, I still set the route but change from Jane to "Silent Voice".

If I don't have a particular destination in mind, I set a route to an arbitery location and again change from Jane to "Silent Voice". This might cause Jane a fit of confusion as she constantly re-calculates my route but no matter, I can't hear her.

Having said all of that, in all those cases I still, of course, hear the camera warnings BUT not only for on the road I'm on (GATSO's, Red Light, Mobile etc) but also some of those that are off my route as well.

Any idea why that should be?
ras2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New way to do custom POI warnings in TomTom 6 Reply with quote

Just installed - works great, thanks for the info guys...

lbendlin wrote:
TomTom have made us aware of a new way to use custom POI warnings in TomTom 6 versions. This will remove the need for manipulating the data.chk file, and is much more flexible.

Here's what you need to do:

For each of your OV2 files, create a warning sound in OGG format with exactly the same name. So if you have a BP.ov2 file, create a BP.ogg fileand place it in the same map folder. (We recommend 22050 Hz sampling rate but it should not matter)

When you restart TomTom, the new sound will automatically be used. Cool, ah? (you may have to re-set the warning distance for each POI category you changed)

A good source for ogg files is http://tomtomsatnav.info/realvoice.html . But you can of course also use your own creations.

Sony P910i Phone For Traffic and stuff...

Tom Tom Traffic + Rocks !!
readroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Hi im stuck on making the ogg work !!!!! Help Please Reply with quote

Hi, can i ask, what im doing is trying to follow the guide on how to do your own voices as described in the post, i dont no where im going wrong!! ie what im doing is recording what i need to say-for example "watch out speed camera ahead" form my phone and then converting it from amr to ogg, then im transfering the ogg files into the map, where am i going wrong, i have tomtom 6 and still a little confused, as seems so easy to others ,

Hope you can help

Brian
waughie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you converting it mate as i no you cant change some of the file types just by changing the ext. you need a program to do it.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, 2 things need to be done right.
One is the sample rate - I believe it's best at 22500 doodahs.....
Two is the file name.

Oops, 3 things....( Monty Python Spanish Inquisition sketch or what? ).
Three is location. All the files ( ov2, bmp & ogg ) go in your map file ( GB_Map, GB_Plus_Map, whatever ... ).

Providing your filenames all match ( as per instructions on this site ), that is,
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ogg
and so on for all the files required

it really is as easy as they say.

If difficulties persist it may be a recording issue. When you play back the amr & ogg files on your PC, can you hear anything? Hopefully Andy_P2002 will pop in and assist with this one.

If you post for further help, you might like to advise which database you are using ( Single, Consolidated or Zoned ) and which model TT unit you are installing to.

Nadolig Llawen.
readroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Hi and thankyou for that Reply with quote

Hi to all and thanx for the info, you all are a great help, ok what i did was record a voice instruction from my voice recorder on my nokia n80, so that was a amr file, i then converted the amr to ogg, then installed straight into the map, but i no i have gone wrong as the file ogg i inserted in the map looks like a wav file etc....ie like a smiley face shape !!

So i will read on and am sure i will get there and get back to you all saying blimey that was where im going wrong !!

Btw im using tomtom 6 with on a nokia N80 if that helps..

Hope to hear soon again,

Brian
readroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Hi brian again !! Reply with quote

And to the above question im using amr convertor pro to convert amr to ogg

Brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi and thankyou for that Reply with quote

readroo wrote:
Btw im using tomtom 6 with on a nokia N80 if that helps..
Brian, Bad news is that as far as I know you can't do this with the mobile version of the software, it worrks on the PDA and PNA units, but back on pages three and four of this thread a number of others tried and couldn't get the ogg method to work - Mike
Paul_TVR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MDA Vario with navigator 5.2 (?) just wondering if there are any .ogg files available for download which give you specific warning for each speed zone?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_TVR wrote:
I have a MDA Vario with navigator 5.2 (?) just wondering if there are any .ogg files available for download which give you specific warning for each speed zone?

Try some of the voices at TomTomSatNav.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 14 of 35

Jump to: