Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs and Camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs and Camera warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaskellMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: POIs and Camera warnings Reply with quote

I have just bought a TomTom 710 running version 6.20 firmwarewhich comes with a safety camera database, but I haven't actually been able to try it out on the road yet. I have been reading on various sites about the camera database. I am puzzled by how the POIs are organised. From what I can make out.

Cameras are now handled differently from other POIs
    The builtin POIs are in the mapfile/poi.dat
    The builtin cameras are in files mapfile/camera_type.ext
    It is possible to set warning distances for the builtin POIs
    It is not possible to set warning distances for the cameras and the default voice is a beep
    3rd party camera .ov2 files can be added to the mapfile, they are treated as normal POIs and voices can be associated with them by placing a .ogg file of the same name in the mapfile directory

Is my interpretation correct? If so then why are the 3rd party cameras treated as POIs whereas the TomTom supplied cameras are not and are treated differently. Can voices be added to the TomTom cameras? Can different voices be added to the TomTom supplied POIs?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, upto the last paragraph.

Third party cameras are handled as POIs, because that's how they always have been done; and until recently it is how TomTom's own ones were done too.

Voices (or even different built-in sounds) cannot at present be added to the TomTom camera warnings.

Only the built-in sounds (or replacements of them in a replacement data.chk file) can be assigned to the built-in POIs. This replacement data.chk method is how voices were assigned to the PGPSW camera alerts (until the better method using .ogg format audio files was announced), but it can still be used if you want to replace the default silly noises.
Utilities exist to unpick and rebuild the data.chk file using new ogg files.

Finally, going back to your first paragraph, don't forget that there is a "route demo" feature where you can set up an "A-B advanced planning" route on the Go and then do a simulation on screen, whith out leaving your armchair. Keep the demo speed below 300% (200% seems good) and all the voice commands and POI warnings will sound as they would in reality.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to say....
Your next question is bound to be: "WHY are the TomTom cameras now so limited as to distance and alert sound options?"

No one outside of TomTom seems to know the answer to that one though...

But you can bet they are frantically working on it!

P.S. it's mapfolder/poi.dat etc. Wink
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a search for audible warnings for Tom Tom Safety Cameras and came across this FAQ from 2006 - wonder if things have changed?

My issue is with a Tom Tom Go 520.

I have downloaded additional warnings using Home2, letting Home2 'do its thing' but I cannot discover how to set the new audible warning to work with the Tom Tom Safety Cameras, it still just does the double beep.

Assuming that it is possible, as Home2 downloads alternative warnings, can anyone please advise me of the steps needed to change it - I can see all sorts of POI's listed on the 520, (restaurants, garages etc), but not Safety Cameras!

Any help would be much appreciated.
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the answer!
For anyone else looking - look here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65915
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It HAS all changed since 2006.

On your 520, you do stuff with the TT cameras via the PLUS services menu option, where you will find the one for changing warning preferences. I haven't used it because the TT cameras simply do not have any appeal for me (and a very large number of other people who use the camera database from here - PocketGPSWorld). Looking at it, I would imagine that the voice warnings you've downloaded should appear in amongst the beeps, bongs, whistles etc (I only get the opportunity to record my own voice, presumably because I haven't downloaded any TomTom ones).

If you opted for the PGPSW cameras, you'd not only have a far superior database, with a far superior warning facility (e.g to tell you the actual speed of the upcoming camera), but you'd also have the support of zillions of members here who know the answers to everything AND the universe. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud, yes I have previously used the PGPSWorld database in other units but for the moment I just need to find my way around the 520 before 'hacking' it Very Happy
Thanks for the input.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: