Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom new map, good deal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom new map, good deal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!!
Just finished it .. and took it out for a drive... all working --- OK

First was to get a new 2GB SDx120 which arrived this morning from Amazon..

Then backup my 1GB card onto my desk top by "cut and paste"
Then back up my 1 GB card using TTHome...

Took out the 1GB card from Tom and put in the 2GB card

Restored the files from TTHome to that card -- checked that Tom was working on the 2gb-- good

Down loaded the Weston Europe maps using TTHome -- they give you a couple of freebies at the same time "Post codes in the Netherlands" and Post codes in the UK" .. took about 20 mins to down load at 4Mb.

TTHome then asked if I wanted to "install now" -- Yes..
This took about 25 mins to do the three programmes..
This way you don't have to enter any codes -- as TTHome senses them..

With trepidation tried out Tom -- seemed OK But NO Favourites or Poi's..
I found out from here...
If you are using v6.+ software the file in your old England maps "MapSettings.cfg" is the favourites file. On older software versions, the file will be called {mapfoldername}.cfg instead, so it will be something like "Great_Britain-Map.cfg" (note particular underscores and hyphens too!)-- so I just cut and copied it across.. got to sort out what to do for the French faves!!

French Poi's worked fine -- E'lclerk was there !!

Great all works...

You Do have to reset all the sounds -- mine started talking in Finish !! and the proximity sounds for the cameras etc..

There is a new front end menu -- it will take a bit of getting used to..

Plus the fact that if all goes Pear shape -- I still have my "good" 1 GB card with every thing on it as yesterday...

Just a note -- all of the "old maps" are still on the 2GB -- France - Uk -Major Routes of Europe -Spain - and you can swap to them -- if you want to.. by changing maps at that menu

Phew!!!
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
Forget the detailed how to on my last post!- I found the illusive file map settings CFG and just copied it to my desktop them dragged it into what ever map I wanted and lo and behold ir works. Laughing
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought for the day Idea
Why doesn't tele atlas or the likes make latest map updates available via downloads, as we have with speed camera data!
Instead of us having to wait years before Tom Tom decide to update their maps and to make us pay for what we alread have in the most part!
Just a thought people! 8O
Colinsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Ripped off by TomTom. Don't go for v6.6 for Spain. Reply with quote

I just spent two hours downloading the v6.6 maps. I wasn't sure whether it would be worthwhile as I have the 5.5 ones so I followed TT's advice (fatal error) and checked with my activation code whether it was worthwhile. Needless to say they recommended the upgrade. So I went for it. I put them on my 700 and what a waste of time. My road in Spain no longer exists Crying or Very sad I then checked several of my favorites and a lot of the roads they are in no longer exist Evil or Very Mad I have therefore deleted these maps and restored my previous ones, at least my road now exists again.

I have emailed TomTom asking for a refund. I am not going to hold my breath but if unsuccessful I'll let my credit card company deal with them and claim a refund that way. If only TT would put the maps on their site like TeleAtlas than at least you could check for yourself whether it was worthwhile. Anyone want to buy a 700 and I will switch to someone using more up to date maps.

Seriously P'd off
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ripped off by TomTom. Don't go for v6.6 for Spain. Reply with quote

Colinsp wrote:
... I will switch to someone using more up to date maps.

Good luck in your search....
AFAIK they are all as bad as eachother (and there's only TeleAtlas and Navteq to choose from as supplier anyway).

dunk wrote:
Why doesn't tele atlas or the likes make latest map updates available via downloads, as we have with speed camera data!

That's the holy grail of SatNav dunk!
Everybody wants it, most new satnav users assume that's what happens, but nobody does it.

I guess in 10 years, we'll all wonder what the fuss was about, but it's still new technology and it just doesn't seem possible yet. If it was, whichever company offered it first would have cleaned up by now!
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess your right Andy, Maybe one day!
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussing it out now -- these new maps... or "old maps" one road at the end of our road with industrial estate - had now become a field !! never mind we will drive over the field to the stub road on the other side !! Grrr... was OK before...

Question --- In the old maps and system I had the screen set up to display the speed -- that was good and got used to looking at it..

However in the new system -- the speeds are still there but with the speed limit of the road that you are on ie 35/60
when you are doing 35 on a 60 MPH road... that is OK in theory but ... I have just driven to a town about 30 miles away and know the road well --

I would say that for about half the time the speed limit was Wrong --- giving you 30 on a 60 road - and others too.. - and that starts the lights flashing in red !!!

Is there any way you can turn OFF these second speed limit numbers..?? -- as they are so wrong --- I still want to see the speed on Tom though...

I haven't yet sorted how to get a full list of all Poi's either -- the menu don't allow you to list the Poi's ... only -- those in a city -- near to home -- or on route !! This is not much good when you want to get to a Sainsbury's 45 miles away... not near to home or on a route...

any ideas...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
Is there any way you can turn OFF these second speed limit numbers..?? -- as they are so wrong --- I still want to see the speed on Tom though...

No. Join the rest of us in asking Tom Tom to provide that as an option (there's more chance of that than getting the speed limit data accurate at present, if ever!!). They might listen. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please e-mail TomTom and request an option for this.

See these:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=49108&highlight=speed+limit

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=49917&highlight=speed+limit

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=49745&highlight=speed+limit

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46868&highlight=speed+limit
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
I haven't yet sorted how to get a full list of all Poi's either -- the menu don't allow you to list the Poi's ... only -- those in a city -- near to home -- or on route !! This is not much good when you want to get to a Sainsbury's 45 miles away... not near to home or on a route...

any ideas...

'lo Fibre (couldn't resist this after somebody else did the hi fibre joke!) Bouncing Laughing

I presume you're using ...
Browse Map
Find
Point of Interest
POI Near you

I suppose it depends how many there are in the category - when I looked at Temp Cameras, end of list was 167 miles away, but with 70mph Mobiles I only got 49.2 miles before it came to the end of its list - 100 of them.
Maybe you should change your shopping habits? I'd guess the list of Harrods POIs is not very long.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom Home Western Europe download?? Reply with quote

See TomTom Home have Western Europe download with 20% off. But can someone confirm if this includes Republic of Ireland and is it Navteq data. Don't want to waste my money if the ROI coverage is from Teleatlas(spelling?) Having previously read on the site that Navteq have fully mapped ROI.

Thanks in advance.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Home Western Europe download?? Reply with quote

twotonemark wrote:
See TomTom Home have Western Europe download with 20% off. But can someone confirm if this includes Republic of Ireland and is it Navteq data. Don't want to waste my money if the ROI coverage is from Teleatlas(spelling?) Having previously read on the site that Navteq have fully mapped ROI.

Thanks in advance.

It will be the Teleatlas version and will include RoI.

Navteq ONLY works on on the V2 & Rider, thus will not be "downloadable"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:

any ideas...

Yes, there is "another way in" to beat the 'feature' where it only shows the nearest 100 POIs to your present location.

Go to "Browse Map", then zoom/pan to roughly where you want to look and tap the screen to get the blue cursor onto it. Then tap the cursor button at the bottom and select "Find Nearby POI". That will give you the nearest 100 to the cursor position. Select one and you will return to the map, centred on it. Tap the Cursor button again and select "Navigate there"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: