Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Going back to version 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Going back to version 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jago25_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Going back to version 5 Reply with quote

Acer N35 and TomTom6.

I'm going to go back to version 5 but with V6 maps soon. After 3 hours TT6 is slowing up.

One thing I notice that TT6 does that TT5 didn't was making a blurp noise every now and then that didn't seem to be related to time or obvious features like speed cameras. What's that about?

I think we need a v5 vs v6 FAQ?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Acer N35 is powered by a 266MHz Samsung CPU where the minimum recommended for TTN6 is 350MHz. Some people have even said the Mio168, with a 300MHz CPU, can struggle with 6.

From what I've read in this Forum, the only real advantage of upgrading to 6 is updated maps with new roads, although some have pointed out errors which have appeared in the new maps which were not in 5.
Mystery
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have copied over your POI's from TT5 to TT6 you will find that TT6 has them automatically enabled for show POI. This also happens when you install the speed cameras for the first time.
Try disabling the Shown POI's and it will speed up the ACER N35 considerably
If you have the speed cams set for warn then the speed cam icon comes on screen at the designated distance

derek500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running V6 on my N35, no probs at all - as long as I don't have any POIs enabled.

Derek
mgibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found both v5 and v6 have had different problems on an n35 of one of my customers.

v5 would constantly turn off the backlight while a destination was being entered making it very frustrating to use.

v6 has the map jumping about when running on battery power only. This is a know issue and there is a fix so for me v5 was more of a problem than v6.

Mark
jago25_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the POI tip guys.

I was trying to get v5 working with v6 maps and having "map not found" no matter what I tried so hopefully this will work.

By the way the connector on my n35 died the other day, battery ran out and I kept going waiting for the next instruction. Ended up in Central London!
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is similar to me with my HP Ipaq hx2410, while it lists the 2490 as compatible mine was not on the list. I chose that model anyway being a complete div and only afterwards realised I could have just upgraded my maps with the "other device" option. The hx2410 has a 260Mhz processor.

I thought I would see how it ran anyway with TT6 before going back to TT5 (if you can at no expense) but in the end I don't really need to go back.

It seems to be working fine, even with all my POIs turned on and Traffic on too.

Yes it is a little slower but not that you notice. The only struggle it has had was doing a quick re-route in a city centre when I took a wrong turn. However I can live with that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: