Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - External Antenna for Navman TMC Module?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

External Antenna for Navman TMC Module?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds the best solution, I have just got the T1 and had two isolated locks to Radio and it downloads fine but then stops. Doesn't seem to matter where the supplied aerial is, but as it does work, it seems aerial is the issue not faulty, unless there is a production/design issue as some members seem to have it OK.

Can anyone confirm the aerial connector to the T1 is it MCX or MMCX, mine is a small right angled, gold looks like a very small coax type, just want to be sure before ordering the cable, coax-connectors look the best bet
sadcrab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connector is mcx, not mmcx, I ordered an mmcx connector initially and found the connection far too small, then found coax-connectors on the web they supplied me with the correct connector.
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops Embarassed Embarassed I may have got it wrong just ordered a MMCX on a short unterminated lead and a BNC socket, plan is to wire that as an adaptor and connect to external aerial,(with BNC plug) getting components from RS components. Coax were very helpful but explained that one offs weren't really their business and it would be after Xmas before he could do a 'sample'.

If it is MCX then I may just cut up the Navman (in car, no use whatosever aerial) and use its plug. Otherwise its another £8.00 for a different mini cable.

I have ordered a magmount from Rocket Radio, (Ebay and direct shops)looks similar to the Maplins but is billed as a scanner aerial and RX is very wide MHz so hopeful re frequencies.

http://www.rocketradio.net/

Details are
Covers the full 25-1300MHz scanner band.
15" (37cm) total length
Dual Signal Trap Coils for maximum performance.
1" (25mm) unbeleivably strong 'rare earth' minaret magmount.
Complete with mini RG58 cable
Supplied with both BNC and SMA connectors
Brand new, packaged and ready to go.

They also sell a glass mont aerial which was tempting but will wait and see if any aerial works first, I have the fear that despite all this the T1 is faulty, but it does get recognised by 750, preferences appear etc and I have had green three times, but not for long, and twice it did download lots of incidents, so inclined to blame reception.

I agree with other posts that Navman aren't selling something fit for purpose, but hey ho, its only money ! and if everything in GPS worked right away what would we write about. Wink
castlebeerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: BNC to MCX adaptor for external aerial Reply with quote

Hi all

I bought a mini scanner from maplins and a GARMIN Bnc to mcx adaptor which fits quite nicely into the T1 Module and works a treat. I tis a pity that Navman are not as co-operative when it comes to after sales accessories that are not of the norm and they just give you the basic FAQs on an email. It took me a little over 3 weeks and a lot of frustration just to get the TMC to work. So hang in there - with a bit of patience and perseverance you CAN get it to work

Regards

Steve
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Rocket Radio and RS Components are recommended Clap Clap . Fast delivery and RS changed the MMCX for a MCX, next day delivery, I have connected the plug and had a quick try with the new aerial. Hurrah :D :D :D :D 3 bars of signal to Classic FM and 49 incidents downloaded within a few minutes. So it was the aerial. Will tidy up location of wiring and aerial and try at different locations over the next few days.

I did get a reply from Navman by email quite quickly with usual advice re aerial and then a very quick reply to mine suggesting Navman could do better saying the feedback would be used.... maybe a bit of hope there.

Where do you get the garmin BNC to MCX, useful in case my wiring is dodgy
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for anyone interested,

got the Garmin adapter cable as well, a bit pricey but saves my home made connector being a suspect. That with the Scanner minimag aerial outisde works well so far, a few areas of drop out ie down the valley surrounded by hills, but lots of traffic signals generally, needs proving on longer journeys and where there are traffic problems and on the continent but much happier now. BNC MCX adapter Gramin part, from Waters & Stanton, quick delivery. £20.95 all in.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the useless Navman aerial off the lead and put a BNC plug on. This then plugs into a dual-band 2m (144-146MHz) / 70cms (430-440MHz) aerial, which is manufactured and tuned to just these frequencies.

Although Classic FM is around 101MHz this aerial has worked OK all around the country....

Hope this helps.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if this will work

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=100140&stack=alsoordered&action=open

I have ordered the mag mount
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would muddy the water a little.

I use Navigon MN6 on a Mio168 clone - more powerful CPU - I also purchased an official Navigon TMC module - actually a GNS FM9 - and as I have said before occassionally the TMC icon has gone green and may or may not have alterred my route. The scanner would never lock onto Classic FM outside my home.

But recently I installed another program with additional software for TMC and straight away outside my home, on the supplied GNS FM9 "string" aerial, it locked on to 100.7 and having used it today although I was using back roads if I tapped the TMC button I was informed of varying numbers of "incidents but not on your route."

So it would appear that if you pay miraculously your reception suddenly improves.

I will update when I have encountered traffic holdups.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my navman TMC did an auto route around a traffic event, i ignored it and the road was clear. then it directed me to a road that was temporarily shout and i could of made a divert a mile beforehand and gone another way loosing no time at all . Sad
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant edit post for spelling mistakes Sad
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased an F20 Europe and a T1 Traffic Pack.
I have read all of this thread about the poor reception achieved using Navmans aerial supplied , so I want to purchase another aerial to at least give me a fighting chance of good reception.
The best way to go would seem to be the mag mount aerial from Maplin (their part ref QT30H) with the Garmin MCX to BNC Adaptor from Waters & Stanton ( Part No. 010-10121-00 ).
Could somebody let me know if this looks like it might work ( before I part with my hard earned cash ).
Also if anybody has tried another way and it has worked please could you let me know what you have done.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that magmount, as do a few others, but I made my own adapter cable. Results are better than the standard Navman antenna but still aren't brilliant.
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge of adaptors and the like is minimal ( to say the least ). Would the Garmin MCX to BNC adaptor be just as good ( although quite expensive ) on a Navman F20 Europe ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably better than my home made effort. I only made it as I didn't know a bespoke item was available. I think GeePee has the one you're on about.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: