Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Report
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: European Report Reply with quote

I took my C510 to Europe last week and have to say, as a relative newbie, how much the device enhanced my holiday.

The atlas was left firmly on the back shelf and it was left to Thomas to direct me to the various destinations, which he did (almost!) perfectly.

A few observations:

1. I had difficulty in entering the Folkestone channel tunnel terminal - why should such an important place be so difficult to find?

2. Sometimes I would be warned of motorway/autoroute/Autobahn exits at 2 miles and at one mile, sometimes only at 0.4 of a mile, why?

3. There some mapping errors, roundabouts without exits, for example.

4. In Bavaria, Thomas took me off the Autobahn and after a couple of miles on to a useful, but rather scary shortcut along a country lane. Being as I had just driven for 6 hours, it was dark and foggy, the lane was winding, German roads have no cat's eyes and very poor lane markings, that was quite a scary experience

5. I accidentally left the device in pedestrian mode (used it get around the Christmas Markets the previous day) and set off from Cologne to Munich, and only realised after several miles that we seemed to be stuck on ordinary roads!

6. GNS TMC did not work although it did put up a station name once!

7. Took it up the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain) on the rack-and-pinion railway and it accurately recorded the height of the summit (c2964 metres).

8. On the way back, visited Bruges. Set it for city centre and found myself driving on cobbles surrounded by tourists - found a street parking space though.

All in all a very good experience - a couple of lockups and reboots but nothing too disastrous. In a strange way I sort of missed the excitement of manual map reading and route planning, although I wouldn't be without it for the confidence it gave me in driving in unfamiliar cities in foreign parts and in the dark - taking me straight to the hotel in Cologne without a hitch, for example.

Peasemold
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't give you a definitive answer to posting but i'd like to add my own observations to see if somehow we can identify the cause and maybe get a resolution through this forum

1. channel tunnel terminal - how did you enter this destination? postcode, POI or address?
i've found that often postcodes don't appear where you think on a map and this is not unique to MioMap

2. exit warnings - did this happen in the uk as well as europe? could it be that you left your C510 set to miles/yards but the map for europe is geared towards km/m and was therefore unable to give you warnings at the correct distance(s)? is it possible that the maps only work correctly with miles/yards in the uk?

3. roundabouts - i've seen this at one particular roundabout where if i enter from one direction it gives me the exit but if i enter the same roundabout from the opposite direction i get no exit

4. Bavaria - this doesn't sound logical and i have absolutely no idea why this should happen except to joke that maybe Thomas is like the rest of us and got bored of motorway/autoroute/autobahn driving and fancied a change :D Rolling Eyes

5. pedestrian mode - i would have tried stopping changing mode and trying to force the system to re-route. did you not get a warning that you must be one fit dude as you went speeding off 'on foot'? :D

6. TMC - i've done my best to steer clear of TMC so no comment

7. altitude - yes this seems to work but might take a while to give a correct reading.
i live by the coast (so pretty close to sea level) and i watched the altitude reading the other day - it started at -17m (when first turned on) and rose to 9m - which is clode to the 10m on the OS map. i think it depends on satellite reception like most other features of GPS

8. Bruges - again no knowledge so no comment

i still have an atlas in the car too but didn't somebody say that sat nav might not be the best route but you'll never get completely lost with it (or something like that)
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: European Report Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:
I took my C510 to Europe last week and have to say, as a relative newbie, how much the device enhanced my holiday.

4. In Bavaria, Thomas took me off the Autobahn and after a couple of miles on to a useful, but rather scary shortcut along a country lane. Being as I had just driven for 6 hours, it was dark and foggy, the lane was winding, German roads have no cat's eyes and very poor lane markings, that was quite a scary experience

Peasemold

Good isn't it? :-)

German roads have reflective markers at the *sides* on short black and white posts. The reflective bits tell you all sorts of things like if you are on the correct side of the road :-) and turnings on your side to name the two I know. They work in fog and, probably more importantly, in up to a couple of feet of snow.

The other day I used my C710 to do a "traveling salesman" round a load of bathroom showrooms in about a 10 mile radius. That bit worked better than I would have driven it but at one point I was going down a dead straight main road and was told to turn right. Which I ignored as I knew where I was and where I was going. A quick look at the map showed that it wanted me to:

1) Turn right across the main road up a lane.
2) Take the first left off the lane into another lane which -
3) Brought me back onto the same main road, with another right turn across it, after roughly a quarter mile from the first turn off.
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: European Report Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
Peasemold wrote:

Peasemold

Good isn't it? :-)

German roads have reflective markers at the *sides* on short black and white posts. The reflective bits tell you all sorts of things like if you are on the correct side of the road :-) and turnings on your side to name the two I know. They work in fog and, probably more importantly, in up to a couple of feet of snow.

The markers only seemed to exist if there were no other markers, such as hedges, houses, pavements, trees and fences etc. On most of the roads I drove on, the reflective posts were significantly absent. White lines at the side of the road were present in many cases, though. I guess I should have designated my vehicle as a lorry, to avoid small shortcuts like this.

Peasemold
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: European Report Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:

3) Brought me back onto the same main road, with another right turn across it, after roughly a quarter mile from the first turn off.

I've had this happen many a time when it appears to be routing me around traffic displayed by the TMC. Sometimes it only routes me around 1 block so it's hardly worth the effort. I just let the road conditions dictate if I take any notice of it.

CeeJay.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay - That was my first thought but there were no traffic icons displayed on the road.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess that it it happened over here we'd be more familiar with the roads and ignore it as 'one of those things'
gorbit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:

4. In Bavaria, Thomas took me off the Autobahn and after a couple of miles on to a useful, but rather scary shortcut along a country lane. Being as I had just driven for 6 hours, it was dark and foggy, the lane was winding, German roads have no cat's eyes and very poor lane markings, that was quite a scary experience.

Unfortunately C510 has no parameter for avoiding winding, scary roads. Wink

After limited experience with Sat Nav I shall try out a C510 next week in a small area of Spain. Fortunately, I know the roads there quite well. I'm staying in a small village (Canillas de Albaida). There is a ravine just to the west of there – starts just a few minutes walk from the centre. The route down the ravine from the village is probably classed as a mule track. You wouldn’t want to cycle down although you might manage to carry a mountain bike.

If you have the Spanish detailed MioMap map (2006.01) try the route to Canillas from a neighbouring village, Salares.

Start: Salares (Malaga), Street: Calle de el Ejido
End: Canillas de Albaida (Malaga)

You may wish to enter a street for Canillas – try Calle Vicario Martinez Navas – just enter a ‘V’ to locate it.
Parameters: select Fastest and Car and deselect Unpaved Roads

The MioMap route takes the MA 158 and then forks left onto an unclassified road (probably still a dirt track in places) instead of continuing on the MA 158 via Archez to Canillas. The track is OK by car (although a car hire company may not agree) but not recommended if you suffer even slight vertigo. The worst is yet to come. The route should follow the ‘road’ round to the right and continue south, where it crosses the river in the ravine, and then enter the village from the south-west, along Carril de San Anton and then left onto Calle de la Estacion. Instead, MioMap leaves the road just after crossing the river and takes a left turn off the road and follows a direct line into the village from the west. You’ve guessed it, the C510 enters the village from the ravine by following the mule track. This ravine-part of the route is described as a footpath (path 69) on the 1:25000 Mapa Topografica de Sierra Tejeda of the Junta de Andalucia.

You may be thinking that, given this is a local route between neighbouring villages, Tele Atlas can be forgiven. However, the C510 follows the same route into Canillas if you start from the UK. Maybe there are 100s of examples similar to this and perhaps I should realise that, to be safe, it is better to stick with the main maps and to use the detailed maps only when necessary. Also, to be fair, it is probably impossible to turn off the road onto the mule track.

Incidentally, the road from Archez to Canillas de Albaida (the correct route from Salares) is not shown on the C510 (although it has been there for years). Therefore, having declined the option of the footpath, a route recalculation would probably direct you via Competa – involving a lengthy detour.

Finally, having arrived in Canillas, The MioMap route shows that you can drive up Calle Vicario Martinez Navas – you certainly can not – the street is steep, stepped, and is too narrow at the start for a car.

Of course, such problems are not confined to mainland Europe. Two weeks ago, the C510 tried to take me the wrong way down three, successive one-way streets in Winchester, within less than 1 minute.

In case this report seems critical, I must add that the C510 successfully directed me across a large moorland region of Lancashire at night, where there are many narrow lanes and farm tracks.

I shall try the ravine route next week – but in pedestrian mode and without the mountain bike.
gorbit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to correct an error in my posting. Sorry Tele Atlas. I wrote:

Incidentally, the road from Archez to Canillas de Albaida (the correct route from Salares) is not shown on the C510 (although it has been there for years). Therefore, having declined the option of the footpath, a route recalculation would probably direct you via Competa – involving a lengthy detour.

This is not correct, as I discovered when I zoomed in a bit more. The road from Archez to Canillas is shown. In fact the Miomap route from Malaga, along the coast on the autovia (E15), followed by the MA104 etc to Canillas, takes the short-cut from Archez to Canillas.
PudpullerTM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: vehicle types Reply with quote

If you make a taxi as your vehicle does it take you all the long ways round to help you make loads of cash from your customers
Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: