Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free upgrade to TT V6.01?!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free upgrade to TT V6.01?!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Free upgrade to TT V6.01?!? Reply with quote

Hi,

I just updated the ROM on my iPaq, requiring me to reinstall TT5.0.... Following the install, I connected to wifi, and confugured my TT Plus account settings so I could apply the update to 5.21. When I selected "Download Extras / Download Updates" - TT connected successfully and displayed the following:

TomTom Services.
A new version (6.01) is available free of charge. Please visit www.tomtom.com for details about this update and how it can be installed on your device.

Fantastic, I thought! Laughing So I called TT support to ask for my upgrade. Firstly refruted the existence of the message, then they got increasingly irate, blaming the message on a web server fault, then a problem within TT5 upgrade code!

Needless to say, I will not be paying for anymore software from TomTom when Navigon6 (with free TMC) is just around the corner!
J1mmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting the same thing

Quote:
There's a new version of the application (6.01 build 7720) available for your Tom Tom device. Connect your device to your computer and use TOM TomHome to get the FREE upgrade.

There's no mention of it on the site, and Home returns a 'no updates' message. Rolling Eyes

I've just checked again, and it's still getting same message - so if it's a server error, and they are aware of it, why ain't they fixed it hmmm? hmmm? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

paulk
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes same happening with me. Absolutely no mention of an upgrade to 6.01 on TomTom's site at all.
    I have an HP6915 ipaq which comes with Navigator 5.3 installed however there is no product code in the box or any mention of it anywhere. 8O So how do we go about upgrading? Question
    alanrclarke
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mailed TomTom support, asking whether an upgrade (pid or otherwise) would be available from TTN5 to TTN 6. The reply was a lot of marketing-speak gobbledygook (as a markting man, I know wherof I speak!!)...

The text is below for those of you who are interested.

The short answer is .. no, you're stuffed! If you want to buy it, it's full price. For those of us who helped TomTom grow to its current success, this is a real kick in the teeth.

Goodbye TomTom - I'll find somewhere else to spend my money - as you don't give a stuff about your loyal customers!

[i]"Thank you for your question about the availability of an upgrade from TomTom Navigator 5 to TomTom Navigator 6.

TomTom strives to always offer high quality products that keep up with the trends and demands of the market. We have taken a commercial decision to meet the fast moving PDA/mobile market by developing NAVIGATOR 6 to work with new handheld devices that have more memory and processing power to run new features, compared to the previous generation of products. The sophistication of the software advances in NAVIGATOR 6 means that current MOBILE and NAVIGATOR users with a TT NAV6 compatible device will be able to run NAVIGATOR 6. TomTom will not be able to provide an upgrade for all existing MOBILE 5 and NAVIGATOR 5 users.

For users of compatible devices, NAVIGATOR 6 can be purchased starting from Euro 99

There are 3 options:
    A pre-programmed mini SD card and adapter containing a map of their region and the major roads of Western Europe
    A pre-programmed 1GB mini SD card and adapter containing a full detailed map of Western Europe
    A DVD containing full detailed maps of Western Europe

Current Navigator 5 users with a device that is not compatible with Navigator 6 will continue to have an excellent navigation experience and they will be able to upgrade to new maps as these are made available to all TomTom customers.

We hope to have answered your question. Should you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know."[/i]

I said replied "No - you haven't answered my question. Just say yes or no". There was no reply.
    getsurfers
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be time for a petition

Maybe somewise board members could draft something and post to - http://www.ethical-business.com/default.asp?sect=submit

I'm sure it'd get hammered if linked to with text such as "TomTom Upgrade" Laughing

TT users have always got a good discount. Without us, they'd have never grown so big as to be able to fund their own devices.

Or maybe that's it. Now they have their own devices, who cares about PDA/Mobile users. Don't like it buy a GO isn't a very good attitude IMO.

They've got us by the balls really. We don't want to upgrade out of protest, yet rely on it so much we NEED the latest maps.

Evil or Very Mad
    pendlemac
    Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm surprised you think 50 euros ( over 35% ) off the boxed price of the seamless map of Europe isn't a big enough discount. ( With free upgrade to V6 if you have a supported device. )

OK, so you have to download it.

I intend to upgrade my system this weekend. I've already made space on the SD card.
    alanrclarke
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with the maps I have - I simply want to get hold of the TTN6 software.
    lick
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4201452

This was the message i got on my PDA just in case no one else at TT has seen it

Regards
    bedbug
    Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

forgive me for butting in, but I'm a bit confused by this thread, in light of recent developments...

If you look at this thread, you will see that I followed a recent TT Newsletter to their webiste where I was offered a discount on a V6 map which included free Nav 6 software (because I was lucky enough to have a compatible device).

Certainly in the case of the ipaq mentioned above, it seems to be compatible with V6 - so what's the issue?

There are new maps you can upgrade to if your device cannot be upgraded to Nav 6, or you can get new maps which include Nav 6 for free. I paid about £34 to upgrade to both the latest map and software, and feel I've been suitably supported as an existing customer.

There's certainly a lot of confusion at TT Supprt (as ever!) and no doubt they have to pick their way through a minefield of corporate liability issues in terms of how they might phrase what can/can't be done... but it appears to me there are options available...

I can only assume I've got the thread completely wrong, but would be interested in knowing if following the link in the thread (detailed above) doesn't answer some of your issues.
    bedbug
    Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should just add that I do recognise you've received an indication that you'd be getting everything for free, which I suspect is just plain wrong - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

In relation to finding product codes, run TomTom home with your device connected; once Home has checked the installed items on your device (& you've logged in, if that doesn't happen automatically), choose Explore from the Options menu. You should see a listing of all the items installed on your device. If you double click the entries under Maps you will get a dialogue which indicates the product code for your device.

You can then transfer this information to your TomTom web account, under 'My Products'; enter the product code and TomTom will add the device code & Activation code so you have a history to refer to.

Hope this has helped.
    niknac
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new iPaq 6910 a few weeks back, with the pre-installed TT5 software. I too saw the 'free' upgrade to TT6 offer, but it took some detective work figuring out how to get it. I eventually found it at http://www.ipaqchoice.com/Generic3.aspx?page=navigation but I think the offer has been withdrawn as I can't find the link on that page any more.

Anyway, I installed the upgrade and it works flawlessly. No activation or codes needed. Of course, you still need to buy the TT6 maps (TomTom 6 Western Europe currently 79.96 euros on the TT website) but that's a lot cheaper than getting the full program plus maps (currently 129.00 euros).

Since the upgrade was free, with no log-in or proof of purchase, I'm sure there's no problem sharing it. If anyone can suggest a way of posting it (it's 5.7mb) I'll happily share it. Not sure publishing e-mail addresses is the best solution though!
    C2k3
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknak

The free upgrade comes without a Product Code as far as I can see.

How did you manage to buy the maps without it? I'm stuck on that one!
    niknac
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C2k3

The free upgrade to TT6 has no product code as such, though your iPaq will have a device code which is needed to activate the maps. When you purchase maps - whether on DVD or on line - you are given a product code for them, which is needed to activate them once loaded. At no stage during the purchase are you asked for any product codes for the TT6 program.

Incidentally, the HP/TomTom upgrade on iPaqChoice is (was?) v6.010 (7720).

Also, after I installed the upgrade, I moved the entire NAVIGATOR folder from My Device\Program Files to Storage Card\Program Files. I've had to create a new shortcut, and fix the registry because it lost access to the in-built GPS unit (go to MyRegistry,HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE,System,CurrentControlSet,GPS Intermediate Driver. Click on Intermediate Driver and it'll have four entries - Drivers, Multiplexer,(Default) and IsEnabled. Click IsEnabled and change the 1 to 0 (in the DWORD box). This has saved me 4.88mb of space on the iPaq, and TT6 works like a dream!
    C2k3
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niknac

That info for moving to SD card is very useful indeed - thanks.

The issue over Product Code only arises out of my very reasonable greed!
    I too have just bought an HP 6915, downloaded the free Choice upgrade (which has now vanished) and have it squirreled away until I get the maps.

I was trying to apply the discount voucher code to the map purchase - it's then that you have to supply a Prod Code. I only have a P.C. for TT5 Euro Maps and it won't let me have TT6 maps on that basis - so scrap that idea!

The Choice download is indeed v6.010 and addresses the problem of TT not looking for the internal receiver in the 69 series.

Someone else here has remarked that as the Choice upgrade was free he sees no reason why he should not make his download freely available to others in someway.

I agree. If anyone with a 69 series has a reasonable and particular need for it msg me & I'll see what I can do - unless I'm deluged or the Moderators think this is out of order.
    niknac
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C2k3 - now I understand! Yes, I remember the discount voucher now. I saved the link - www.tomtom.com/gpsnavigation/index.php?Page=maps&Language=1 - whick allows iPaq 65xx and 69xx owners to purchase TomTom6 Western Europe on DVD for 109 euros. Presumably a product code is not needed for this purchase? This DVD seems to have the TT6 program too, which is unnecessary for anyone with the free upgrade previously mentioned. So if you just want the maps, this is still more expensive than buying TT6 Western Europe from the TT website - currently 79.96 euros until (I think) the end of December.

Glad you like the storage card trick! I find the 6910's so tight on memory (after my trusty hw5500 with its huge memory). I've noticed TT6 is a real memory hog, and the available memory is dramatically reduced when it's turned on. When my memory gets too low, TT crashes, hangs, or locks up the iPaq - requiring a soft rest (usually just at a crucial part of my journey). Unfortunately TomTom seems to be a necessary evil, and after trying several other sat-nav programs (all very disappointing) I reluctantly think I'm stuck with it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: