Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio & TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio & TMC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned from a trip abroad and the TMC on my C710 worked in every country, France, Belgium, Germany as well as the UK.

What did *not* work was the routing in one instance tried to take me onto a motorway up a slip road the TMC said was blocked but the block icon was showing some distance from the actual slip road.

One thing I did notice and caused me to think it was not working or intermittent was the two little cars disappearing - I had got the impression that it showed TMC signal present - What it *actually* means, at least on 3.2, is there is received TMC data *that you have not manually checked* by going into the TMC screen via the receiver icon.

In 1800 miles 3.2 only crashed twice - both on the outward leg in the UK on the M20.
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said before:
Mio recently issued a press release regarding an agreement with the French and the C710...
...other users have also found that the built-in receiver with the C710 does work in the UK...
...the problem appears to lie with units reliant upon an EXTERNAL add-on TMC receiver.

There is, therefore, no reason why TMC on a C710 should not work across Europe.

Mio are apparently close to completing work on a UK-specific TMC receiver for their units which do NOT have a built-in receiver.

I seem to be repeating myself, but why would any company put resources into any product if it wasn't needed - this is obviously not good business practice.

There MUST, therefore, be a logical reason why some units (C710) work and others (C210/C510) do NOT work in the UK and the common denominator which I see is the difference between a unit having a BUILT-IN receiver, or those which require an EXTERNAL add-on receiver and/or there is a firmware issue - which is why some C510 units may work but seemingly not as consistently as the C710.

Anybody who can think of a better explanation, please feel free to challenge my logic. Plenty of people have disagreed with me in the past, but I notice that NOBODY has actually come up with a solution!!

If you look at TomTom, they openly admit that some of their products RDS/TMC, whilst others are only compatible with a GPRS traffic info service.

Part of the problem is extracting correct and consistent information out of Mio - or perhaps even obtaining ANY information from Mio direct!
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not fault your logic, nor offer a solution. However, from the pain you and other non C710 users are experiencing - my advise would be, for potential purchasers, if you want TMC then spend the extra money and get a C710 rather than rely on a 3rd party external unit or MIO coming up with a bolt on.
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy to say, but when the unit is a gift....

....and TMC is listed as a function

what can you do?? Insist that somebody spends £xxx extra??
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
If it was a simple black and white issue, we wouldn't be discussing it, but there are so many shades of grey that the world and his brother (or sister) seem to have a different opinion.

Maybe I should just keep these updates to myself, then those of you lucky enough to have a unit with TMC working will have nothing to dispute.

I'm definitely repeating myself.

Everybody's a smart arse - if only smart arses could fly, this forum would be a VERY busy airport.

Like I said before, I'll keep my opinions to myself and leave no more updates on here.

I am not worthy Not Worthy
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:
I can not fault your logic, nor offer a solution. However, from the pain you and other non C710 users are experiencing - my advise would be, for potential purchasers, if you want TMC then spend the extra money and get a C710 rather than rely on a 3rd party external unit or MIO coming up with a bolt on.
I've tried two TMC adaptors, allegedly C510 compatible, neither of them work. Because I rather foolishly damaged the second one I had, I can't get my money back, so I'm £65 down. However, I'm going to Germany next week so I might get some use out of it over there.

Frankly, I've given up on getting TMC to work in the UK and put it all down to sh*t happens, so get over it. If Mio can finally get their *rse in gear and provide what they promised - ie a working TMC adaptor or a software fix or whatever, I'll maybe revive my interest in it.

Frankly, at the moment I don't do enough driving in areas subject to congestion to warrant spending another £300 on a C710, so I'll give in gracefully and not trouble this thread again until something exciting happens.

Peasemold
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sh*t happens.

I'd be interested to see what happens if/when the UK-specific TMC receiver is launched by Mio.

TMC is listed as a function and SHOULD just work - but like so many other things, it's only when you hit a problem and read the small print.

Living in rip-off Britain doesn't help either - the service is FREE in most of the rest of Europe.

But the EU are too busy telling us how long and straight our bananas have to be to do any real work and sort out real issues affecting people.

That said, a colleague recently bought a TomTom, believing this model to be TMC compatible - but when he looked into it, he found that it only works with their GPRS service, not the RDS TMC system...so it's NOT just Mio.
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
That's easy to say, but when the unit is a gift....

....and TMC is listed as a function

what can you do?? Insist that somebody spends £xxx extra??

If I was unclear then apologies - my comments were for potential purchasers reading the topic rather than those who have already invested or been given a unit as a gift. I dithered prior to purchase and was close to buying a C510 and upgrading later. In hindsight I made the correct decision. Post was to pass my experiences on to those who may benefit whilst expressing some support for those who have been taken in by Mio regarding this functionality or lack of. Exclamation
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted ernest_mio.

Yes, you were lucky - others less lucky - but just reading the literature, I bet you wouldn't have known that there would be a difference with TMC functionality before you purchase.

Technology should NOT be down to luck and that's part of the frustration and I must say, this forum has NOT done a lot to ease the frustration!!

Misunderstandings are all too easy on here with just black text on a page - hence my TEAMWORK posting.

However, if you've seen my TEAMWORK thread, you'll see that I've had a bit of a sh1t day!!

This forum is supposed to be moderated, but the moderators need a good kick up the **** to stop it all getting out of control and personal!!

I shouldn't have expected anything more, so I'm calling it a day with this forum!
Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the teamwork thread - not sure if I grasp fully the reasons behind your emotions, however, respect your decision.
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reasons behind the thread are that everybody has an opinion - which usually disagrees with what's just been posted - and it feels more like a point-scoring scheme than a help group.

For example, I posted a message about Mio telling me that the receiver was the cause of my C210 not receiving/decoding TMC data and the response a got was "a receiver is a receiver is a receiver so it can't be hardware" - BUT nobody can offer a solution (other than buying a C710).

However, I've been told that Mio are developing and testing a UK-specific receiver - great business paractice if it's not a hardware problem.

It just feels that most of what I post is disputed and often in a way which could be taken personally - as though I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about - but if these guys are so clever, why can't they offer a solution or positive suggestions??

...and I think I got myself involved in the worst thread of all - TMC - and this forum has just added to the frustration rather than providing any real assistance.

It's a case of every man (or woman) for himself (or herself) and in a lot of threads there's just a total lack of teamwork or proper use of the knowledge and experience which is out there.

Hard to believe, I know, but I've actually found Mio to be more helpful than this forum.

As for the teamwork thread, a moderator told a user "remember not to feed the trolls" so I guess that as a troll, I must be the bad guy - not the guy who's arguing with me for trying to pull people together.

It's so easy to criticise and, frankly, I just don't have the time, patience or energy to argue on here.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this whole thing is being handled wrong

where's the 'team' when you need them

people are giving up their valuable time to be ripped apart on here and are we any closer to finding an answer?? NO
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
I just returned from a trip abroad and the TMC on my C710 worked in every country, France, Belgium, Germany as well as the UK.

possibly a dumb question but were you using the Western Europe maps or the MRE maps included in the software

i'm just curious about how well TMC works in Europe if the system may only be aware of the main road you're already on

at worst i guess it might give you a warning and guestimate of the duration of the delay even if it doesn't have the mapping information for rerouting

is it worth investing in the Western Europe maps?
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C710 has whole of Europe down to street and even track level.

For example if you zoom on a motorway service area it will show all the "roads" through it. As I said, the single problem was the closed "on ramp" which was in the TMC but the icon was placed before - bit like

<<<<<Direction of travel<<<<<On ramp<<<<<Closed##########

So the C710 thought the ramp was accessable. I assume it was down to either the co-ordinates of the transmitted info being out or the map or a combination of both.

Took some time to convince Phillipa that I needed to go another way. :-)
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the TMC forum it looks like Mio users are not alone

even after their launch of a uk TMC receiver TomTom users can't get this to work

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

it looks like TT users are facing similar support problems too Rolling Eyes

it looks like C710 users with fully operational TMC are extremely fortunate Smile

this is 1 feature i haven't tried yet so i haven't suffered like so many of you

the frustration seemingly continues Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: