Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN6 with Palm TX? (plus where to buy?!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN6 with Palm TX? (plus where to buy?!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: TTN6 with Palm TX? (plus where to buy?!) Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had some firsthand experience of running TTN6 with the Palm TX? The TT website only lists the Treo 650P as being compatible, but if this is the case then I fail to see why the TX wouldn't work with it.

If it does work then does anyone know where to actually buy the SW + GPS receiver bundle? All the retailers seem to have no stock. The TT website itself seems to sell the SW by itself but doesn't do the bundles for some reason.

I've e-mailed TT support again about these two issues today but I must say they haven't been that helpful in previous replies.

Alan
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad form to respond to one's own post and all, but I've hunted round the options on the TT site a bit more and I see they just seem to have renamed things. The UK maps (+ basic European) + GPS bundle is still available but is called 'regional' rather than 'UK'. It's £137.53 though, compared to the £119.95 Expansys price and £127.25 Dabs price.

Rather bugging that TT seem to be keeping all the stock to themselves and charging about 10% more!

Alan
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested if anybody is successfully running TTN6 on their Palm TX. I have TTN5 on my TX, and it runs without problem. As pointed out in the other posts in this thread, the TX apparently doesn't appear right now on the list of compatible devices.

Anyone?

Thanks.
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's the reply from TomTom support (fast albeit useless!) - spelling mistakes are their own!
Quote:
Dear Mr Robertson,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Please find on the link below the information you require.
Log onto www.tomtom.com and serch for the Nav 6 Software where you can buy directly from the web-site without hassel.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=229&Category=2&Lid=1

In relation to Nav 6 not being listed as compatable on our website, it is due to the product either not being tested completely or still in line with many other PDA's on the current market to be tested.
Please note that although the Nav 6 software may function to an extent on your device, if not listed on our compatability list,m we are unable to provide Support for the operation of the software on the device.

TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 includes a number of new features that greatly improve the product.
Unfortunately, these features require more memory and processing power when compared to NAVIGATOR 5 and MOBILE 5.

In addition, TomTom now offers many new maps, which are bigger and more detailed than the old maps. These maps also require more memory and processing power in the device.
We are constantly increasing the compatibility of our software, and will regularly release updates of NAVIGATOR 6 that are compatible with more products.

These updates will most probably include compatibility with newly introduced devices rather than older devices. The minimum system requirements for mobile devices running NAVIGATOR 6 mean that, in many cases, NAVIGATOR 6 is not compatible with older devices.

We hope to have answered your question
Should you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

And here's how I replied...
Quote:
Dear Sirs

I fail to see how the information you provided answers my question.

In your reply you provide a link to the HP iPAQ hw6915 bundle - why would I want to buy a new PDA?! All I am looking for is the GPS Receiver + SW bundle.

With regards your explanation for the TX not being listed vs. the Treo 650 - both run Palm OS Garnet v.5.4, both have an Intel 312MHz processor. The TX has 128MB of NVFS memory (100MB available to user) compared to 21MB user available on the Treo 650. On this basis the TX has BETTER specifications than the 650 - why then is the former not supported yet the latter is? The TX is still the current 'top of the range' handheld from Palm so it really seems quite strange not to support it.

Once again I would ask that you tell me (a) where I can buy the software + GPS receiver bundle (but WITHOUT buying a whole new PDA!) and (b) why given the information I have provided above you still do not support the TX.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Alan Robertson
Hopefully they'll get back with something more sensible soon! In the meantime it would be good to know if from a user's perspective things work OK.

Alan
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They now say:
Quote:
Dear Mr Robertson,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Please find below the link for the GPS and SW bundle you have requested, as you will see it is available online.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=280&Category=2&Lid=1

For latest information on compatibility please keep your eyes on www.tomtom.com

Some functions will not operate correctly on unlisted devices and there for despite the capabilities or the similarities you have noted between the compatible and non-listed devices referring to our web-site will provide you with the most updated information regarding your query.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Getting marginally closer! Would really appreciate if anyone has first-hand experience of this working though.

Cheers

Alan
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there nobody here successfully (or unsuccessfully) using TTN6 on a Palm TX???

Any info here appreciated.
smike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried to TT6 on my Palm T3 without any success.
The problem is that TomTom HOME does not recognise the T3 as a compatible device - saying that no device is connected.
My T3 is definitely connected because HotSync works, so I suspect TomTom are deliberately avoiding supporting older Palms by preventing HOME from installing TT6.
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smike wrote:
The problem is that TomTom HOME does not recognise the T3 as a compatible device - saying that no device is connected.
My T3 is definitely connected because HotSync works, so I suspect TomTom are deliberately avoiding supporting older Palms by preventing HOME from installing TT6.

Thanks for the report, and bummer that it's not working for you.

Clearly, though, the TX doesn't fall into the category of "older Palms" as it is basically their current flagship model.

So once again - any experience of TTN6 on a Palm TX greatly appreciated.
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from a United States user.
I purchased a downloadable map of a section of the US today from TT website. After 2 phones calls to support about getting the map onto the device(TX) and then getting it to appear in TT and finally a refund I figured out what needs to be done. 1st phone call: They had me use TT Home for the download and transfer to the device, which worked fine. But the map wouldn't show up in TT. 2nd phone call: Support figured the map was not compatable with Navigator 5, issued a refund. Not being familiar with TT Home I didn't spend a lot of time looking at what was available for update. After spending the time to check things out I discovered that the first item on the updates list was Navigator for palm. Clicking on more info gave me this info"Navigator 6.01 for Palm" Sure enough the latest version was just sitting there waiting to be installed, which I promptly did. I had to go ativate the map on ttcode and I'm off and running. So far everything seems to operating correctly, I'll give it a road test on the way home today. The only thing I notice is the icons seem a little blurry and not as much color saturation.

Bill
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a follow up of my previous post.
TT worked great on my test ride. The map screens look nice and crisp with the road names very easy to read. The positioning was right on the money. I also tried the NAV 5 maps and they work also.

Bill
alanjrobertson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Bill. Makes you wonder why they refuse to list the TX as compatible when it seems to work fine!

Alan
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.
The favorite locations and Home location seem to have vanished, haven't tried to find them.

Bill
DougUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smike wrote:

I've got TT6 running without problems on a Palm T3. The main obstacle is you can't sync the software direct to the device; You can only seem to write it direct to the SD card via an card writer. However, with the amount of data to transfer, this would be my choice anyway as to hotsync it all would take an age.

After that it runs fine. It's certainly a lot faster than ViaMichelin Mapsonic which I was struggling with before.

Doug
jdoyle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the reason they are not listing the TX as a supported device is that it is Bluetooth 1.1 so cannot use the GPS and phone at the same time - This means that the service that they would like to sell to the user are unavailable. There is no incentive to put it on the list.

The strategy to use TT Home is clear and the TX does not fit into that model.

Rgds
John
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth not the reason Reply with quote

jdoyle wrote:
I suspect that the reason they are not listing the TX as a supported device is that it is Bluetooth 1.1 so cannot use the GPS and phone at the same time

The Palm Treo 650 has the same issues with Bluetooth (and is the same revision), but is currently supported and indeed bundled with Nav 6 & TT's Bluetooth receiver, so there's likely another reason... perhaps that they want to sell more Treo 650s? (itself rumoured to soon be obsolete due to the introduction of the Treo 680).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: