Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amplified car aerial splitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplified car aerial splitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug is a 2.5mm right-angled stereo jack. Cable is about 2.5mm diameter also.

It seems not to attenuate the signal to the car radio at all. In this area all the "fringe" stations are received as before.

I think it is very mis-leading that TMC receivers should be sold without this adapter. After all, you wouldn't expect good reception on a car radio with a piece of wire draped out of the window! The RDS-TMC signal is much weaker than the audio signal (rather like teletext on TV) so a good aerial is essential.

Regards

Paul
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pity all TMC receivers don't come with a socket for this - I know people are having reception problems with the Tomtom one and the Nuvi one.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diabeticpaul wrote:
Lowestontheweb (Evesham) still have 29 in stock (£29.95) so it seems to be a well kept secret. GNS are charging 58 Euros and you have to send a cheque up-front.
Shame they don't sell the whole range of splitters that GNS make, as I need a different one for my car (and a different connector on the end too).
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing

Navigon are selling the GNS Y antenna splitter with a FAKRA connector. A "Chinch" PDA adapter is also included. Cost is just under 50 Euros incl carriage.

See the following link

https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/accessories/26/universal/751
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - they are reselling the GNS cable, which I can get with a "chinch" connector without an adapter. The only downside to GNS is that you have to send them a cheque, but for the right item, it might well be worth it.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the GNS splitter on the end of my Nuvi GTM 21 aerial today - doesn't seem to work - what GPS/TMC did you use it on DiabeticPaul?

If I connect to the din plug I get reception but not much signal out of the smaller plug.

I am going to try and Y adaptor DIN plug splitter if I can find one - the first one I got (Autoleads) wasn't good quality and didn't work well at all.
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mwfox

I am using a GNS FM9 RDS TMC adapter for a Mio 168. I went to Eastbourne today and it must have been without a TMC signal for only about 2 - 3 minutes in a one and a half hour journey. On the Kent side of the Dartford Crossing it was receiving Trafficmaster TMC data on Classic FM, so there must be parts of the country where Classic FM transmits both ITIS & Trafficmaster data. I cannot emphasise enough what a difference the Y Adapter has made. Have you connected it inline to the Car Aerial feed the right way round? There should only be one way given the arrangement of the socket & plug on the adapter.

Regards
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes got it the right way round - maybe it only works with the devices its designed to.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know you were receiving data on Classic FM (or I guess I should ask what made you think you were, as your unit does not know how to intepret Classic FM data...) In fact, the Mio 168 has never supported TMC in the UK - if it's running the original MN4 Navigator software, then it will be picking up the data from Classic FM, as that's what was included in the software, and it will be using the iTIS service.

The y splitter is a universal thing, and will work with any RDS-TMC unit (as long as you wire the cable correctly).
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing do you know why the small 2.5mm plug on the GNS Y adaptor is like a stereo plug - ie has 3 connections on it - I would have thought it needed just two - the outer shield connection and the inner wire?

The Y adaptor did pass some signal through to the TMC but not as much as was going through the main DIN plug - I could get traffic info from the main DIN plug but not from the 2.5mm plug. (and that was with an amplifier to boost the signal before the Y adaptor).
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon 5.2.6 fully supports TMC data regardless of which PDA it is running on. Navigon signed an agreement with Trafficmaster in October 2005 and the map data in this version (April 2006) is fully compliant. It uses Trafficmaster data via GCap Media and Chrysalis FM stations. The point I made yesterday was in an area on the M25 just south of the Dartford Crossing where Capital is weak it locked ont to Classic FM for about 5 to 10 minutes and was definitely receiving updates from this station. The Classic FM transmitter where I live does NOT transmit Trafficmaster data. The receiver locks on to Essex FM or Capital.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have locked on, and it may have been receiving the traffic signal from Classic FM, but Navigon 5.2.6 does not have the (licensed) data to comprehend the data it receives, and hence was not providing you traffic from iTIS. If it does have that data, then Navigon would potentially be in breach of various license laws.

As for the plug, the reason it's 3 pin is that's to match the socket on the GNS TMC receiver, although I don't know why that is 3 pin.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I have got the GNS splitter working with my GTM 21 (Nuvi 660) - connected to my main car aerial. (together with an aerial amplifier).I get traffic info where I didn't before and on a journey from Buckingham to Milton Keynes got info all the way and the same from Milton Keynes to Northamton. At times I lost signal but it rescanned and got locked on again. (watching diagnostic screen). Changed from Fox FM to Horizon radio and then Northants 96.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm which order you have the various bits?

Is it
aerial - amplifier - splitter - radio & gtm21
or
aerial - splitter - radio & amplifier - gtm21

I'm assuming the first...

How have you connected the splitter to the GTM21 (which plug has your splitter got, and how have you connected it onto the GTM21) - this info will help others who want to achieve the same thing.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the first.

I fitted a 2.5mm stereo socket on the end of the GTM 21 aerial wire - I connected the socket so the wire is connected to the tip of the 2.5mm plug on the GNS adaptor.

I used the DIN plug option on the GNS splitter - as my radio has a DIN socket, but it also comes with ISO connectors on the version I bought from lowest on the web.

The GNS splitter seems to work whereas a straight DIN aerial splitter doesn't work - or it does but not with the radio connected as well!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: