Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Makeov2 and own POI`s
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Makeov2 and own POI`s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Makeov2 and own POI`s Reply with quote

I`e just bought a TomtomOne V2 after owning a PDA and Tomtom 5. Somebody was looking at my One with a view to buying one and asked me if it was possible to add fire stations on Merseyside as POI`s so I thought I`d have a go. Here`s what I did. Using Google earth I found the Longitude & Latitude for each station and typed it as a TXT file in Notepad in the following format 53'28"25 , 3'01"19 , "Crosby" (I don`t know much about Latitudes & Longitudes) and did this for all stations. Then using makeov2 I managed to create the .ov2 file and also a .bmp file was created automatically, I used this .bmp as the icon. I also tried creating my own icon from clipart, making it 24bit and 22 pixels by 22 pixels according to what I`ve read on these forums. I then added both files (ov2 and bmp) to the map folder on the Tomtom, enabled them, ticked all the right boxes, set a warning sound and as you`ve probably guessed it doesn`t seem to work. I`ve browsed the map, my speed camera and petrol station icons are displayed but not my new fire station icons what, if anything have I done wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I spent hours trying to do this.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davemazo,

Have you read Bo Peep's Guide To Creating A POI (Point Of Interest)?

I'd also recommend that you install and use the latest version of POI Edit as well.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Privateer hadn`t seen that post before but just tried it and still nothing. I`m using longitude and latitude in degrees, minutes, seconds which I`m led to believe should still work. I`ll try doing it all again in the other format (if I can work it out) if I have a spare couple of hours. If that doesn`t work then I`ll leave it.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davemazo,

I had a look at the official website for Merseyside Fire and Rescue, which show the Crosby station:

http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/pages/stations/crosby.htm

If you click on the map of the station, you're taken to the Streetmap website to confirm the location. If you then click on the "Click here to convert/measure coordinates" then you will be given the longitude and latitude coordinates in decimal.

I've created a 22 x 22 BMP file in 256 colours, an .OV2 file which contains just the Crosby station (and its telephone number), finally I've created an .ogg file which states "Approaching Fire and Rescue station".

If you'd like the files to use as a basis/example for your POI then let me know and I’ll email them to you.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, you make it sound so easy. I knew there was a link to Streetmap but just didn`t occur to me that it might have the co-ordinates on there as well. I was prepared to spend another couple of hours with my A-Z, Streetmap, Merseyside Fire Service web site and flicking between them all. I found that even though the Post code is on the web site it didn`t exactly match the location and sometimes the arrow on Streetmap wasn`t completely accurate, so I was starting to get a bit fed up. But yes I would be very grateful for the files you have created, thanks for spending the time. Could I be cheeky and ask if you could also attach a .txt file explaining how you created the .ogg file or point me to a link which explains it. Do you need my email address or can they be attached to PM. Many thanks again.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davemazo,

Davemazo wrote:
Blimey, you make it sound so easy.

Thanks, but once you’ve down it a few times you’ll find it easy too! Thumbs Up

To get the .OGG file:

You can use the AT&T Natural Voices website:
http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/

Type in the phrase that you want and once you’re happy with it save it as a .WAV file. Next you need to use an .OGG file converter. I use the free Audacity, which can be downloaded from here.

Davemazo wrote:
Do you need my email address or can they be attached to PM. Many thanks again.

No it's OK, us Mods can obtain your email address. I’ve sent you an email to the email that you’ve registered to Davemazo. If that's the wrong one then please let me know.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the little utility program MyPoi? You can download it here:

http://www.poi2go.com/mypoi/mypoizip.jar

(just make sure that it is saved as a .jar file - it sometimes, somehow gets incorrectly saved as a .zip)

If it doesn't function, it may be because you don't have the correct Java installed (See here: http://java.com/en/

I set it for U.K., Query: fire station, Location: Liverpool, Within: 45 miles

It displays them 10 at a time. Press 'More' to search further. Keep doing this until the search results start getting nonsensical.

I came up with close to 100 fire stations. You then save them as a TomTom ov2. file
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I`ve got the files and made a start, it`s still a bit time consuming but I`ll get there. Not sure yet what to do with POI Edit when I`ve finished typing but I`m sure I`ll find the answers here somewhere. Just one small question though, I noticed that POI Edit doesn`t allow me to type in the full co-ordinates, it misses the last digit, is this not a problem.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemazo wrote:
Just one small question though, I noticed that POI Edit doesn`t allow me to type in the full co-ordinates, it misses the last digit, is this not a problem.
You only need 5 decimal places. The last decimal place is less than 2 yards in the UK.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Finally got it sorted. Thanks Jimbo for POIEdit, hadn`t heard of it before but used it and for the most part it was great. It didn`t find a couple of locations even though they were only a couple of miles outside Liverpool and also a lot of the co-ordinates were way out but Streetmap came in handy there. Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.[/quote]
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could help. http://www.poidownload.co.uk/poi/index.php
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Davemazo"] Thanks Jimbo for POIEdit,

Sorry jimbo I meant POI2Go

Lost property thanks for that, very interesting but a bit too much information for me
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a bit too much information for me

I thought it would be easier than trying to do your own.

All you have to do is download the convertor tool. Type Fire Stations in the Search, when found click on Generate POI's, save to your desktop then drag the file on to the convertor and you will have .ov2 POI's for Fire Stations. Drag and drop the .ov2 file into the GB map folder and it will appear in your friends POI's.

I've used it for Hospital and Petrol Stations and a friend downloaded POI's for his Fishing/Angling.
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean and I`ve done all that. What I meant was it gives you a lot of fire stations from all over the country (a lot of them are a bit vague), my mate only needed the ones on Merseyside. But thanks anyway a great site and one I will probably be visiting quite often.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: