Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom announce the GO map upgrades Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

Upgrades should be delivered within 5 weeks.

Isnt it time this sticky was retired? Anyone visiting the site might think it referred to map updates about to come out. Start a new sticky thread in the unlikely eventuality that they do release some.

I havent read to the end of this thread, but does anyone think they are really going to release updates for the older units? I suspect not, they would rather annoy a small percentage of their users, and get a new set of purchases of entire units.

If they were serious about updates they would have a relatively fixed programme, lets say every 6 or 12 months or so. the fact they havent indicates to me its very much an afterthought,a nd increasingly unlikely as time goes by, I think they dont want to extend the life of these older devices.

Tw
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an email people are getting from TomTom support regarding map updates.

Quote:
Summary:
Free for GO 910 users ( well $6.00 shipping ) and it should be in December..

Details:

Thank you for contacting TomTom concerning map updates for the GO 910. Starting in December 2006, the latest map data will be available as an accessory product to all customers regardless of the TomTom device you have or the map version you currently use. To kick off this new accessory program, TomTom will offer the latest maps on promotion from December 2006 through January 2007. The update itself will be free for GO 910 owners with a shipping fee of approximately $6.00. TomTom aims to release new map versions at least twice a year for our products.

For the last five years, TomTom has had people in the field documenting new roads, changed signs, and new buildings. As you can appreciate, these updates are a time-consuming process. Currently, TomTom is preparing a huge updated version of the maps which will be available on DVD. 3.5 billion addresses have been added. You will receive an email from TomTom with instructions on how to access these updates. Meanwhile, any time you go to TOMTOM HOME to update the software version, you can also download minor updates to maps. Right now, the most recent software version is 6.15. For your information, we have pasted information on map updates at the bottom of this email.

If you have further questions, your reference number for this email is XXXXXXXXXXX. We are also available at 1-866-486-6866 from 8:30am to 7pm EST. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Club TomTom then stepped up and made some clarifications.

Quote:
To those of you that may be interested.

The letter that was posted at the beginning of this thread has several inaccuracies which I would like to clarify. TomTom will issue a formal press release on its map data accessory program in the U.S. which will include additional information.

The promotional period that was mentioned will run from December 11, 2006 - February 9, 2007. Map updates of the U.S. and Canada will be free for the TomTom ONE, TomTom GO 510, TomTom GO 910, and TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 (not just the GO 910).

The last sentence in the letter, “TomTom aims to release new map versions at least twice a year for our products,” is not accurate.

In addition, TeleAtlas – not TomTom – has people in the field documenting new roads. Five million addresses were added in the latest update, not 3.5 billion. Furthermore, incremental updates are not yet possible, only full map upgrades are available. The map accessory will only be available on DVD for the promotional period.

Hopefully this clarifies any questions or concerns. Keep an eye out for the official press release on Club TomTom.

http://www.clubtomtom.com

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's an email people are getting from TomTom support regarding map updates.

Quote:
Club TomTom then stepped up and made some clarifications.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Joker Joker Joker Joker
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the lack of further comments, would I be correct in assuming I'm the only one to fall for this wind-up?
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an email from TT except when I've complained about stuff. They still owe me a free upgrade to some maps I bought which were out of date . . . . but let's not go there again!!
Colinsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Teleatlas they deliver map updates to their partners (presumably TomTom are one) every 60-90 days! It then takes Tom Tom ?? years to convert them to TT format and issue them. Makes you wonder why Teleatlas bother. Lets hope we get some new ones soon.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you quite SURE about Teleatlas update issue frequency?

I have just this week received an e-mail from them thanking for my map contribution via mapinsight, which I submitted some months ago, which gives me to find the idea that they release updates at 60-90 day intervals rather over the top.

However, the point about TT's updates (lack of) is very well made. From May 2005 I went until about September this year without receiving so much as a single communication from TT. But since then, eagerly awaiting map updates, I've had several - Newsletters about how well they did in their tame satnav review, how wonderful is the latest Navigator thingy, announcing the new RDS-TMC thing which turned out to be not available until three days ago (but might work if you buy THIS one instead of getting one a couple of months ago?), the super new TT One and you name it - everything BUT new map updates.

And forget "soon". Apparently their latest (is it the fourth or fifth?) forecast for new maps has moved on from "soon" to "Early in the new year".

When I got my first TT GO, I was hugely impressed. From the last nine months' personal experience and posts in this forum, I'm coming to the conclusion I may have been hasty. It might only take one post about how much better another brand is.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis (and others)..

For what it's worth, when I now view the forums, I pick up a few (many) postings about peoples frustrations with TomToms latency with regard to the new maps, and then bang off a "support" posting to TomTom, suggesting they pass to their senior management. Embarassed
I also suggest THEY read the forums, so they can see just how fed up people are, with so many failed "promises" (1st quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter, 4th quarter etc etc.) Crying or Very sad

I'm sure they get enough DIRECT feedback, but maybe they'll be able to see the "strength" of peoples frustrations?

Cheers
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get this back to November 2006......

From all the rhetoric from TomtomGO does anyone know if there will be any up dates
to France and the UK before next year... when we go on holiday again !!!

I have Tom-tom -"classic" ie one of the originals -- and so far have had the original maps -- and then some new ones last year 2005...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
does anyone know if there will be any up dates to France and the UK before next year... when we go on holiday again !!!

New Year's Day, Easter, Summer Solstice or Christmas? Best take a late holiday. Laughing

kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
does anyone know if there will be any up dates to France and the UK before next year... when we go on holiday again !!!

New Year's Day, Easter, Summer Solstice or Christmas? Best take a late holiday. Laughing

SHOULD read "Between New Years Day (2007) and Easter, or could be Summer Solstice, or could be Christmas". "TomTom will send you an e-mail, as long as you are registered with TomTom News"
"Thank You for contacting TomTom Customer Service" Laughing
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SHOULD read "Between New Years Day (2007) and Easter, or could be Summer Solstice, or could be Christmas".

Actually, SHOULD read "Take your holiday at Christmas 2007", because I promise you there will be a new map upgrade before then.

BELIEVE ME, I'M A TT SUPPORT PERSON (not). Supreme Angel

adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK just been on to TomTom to see if I'm entitled to a free map upgarde when they come out as i've only just bought a 510, they said no only people who bought the older models like the 700 got a leaflet entitling them to a free update when it's availbale. So was out of luck there. Said when are the updates coming and he said we still havent got a set day but we hope it will be before christmas. So there you are the official word is 'We hope it will be before Christmas'.
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bing Crosby comes to Mind !!!! Laughing

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas !!!"

and I live in the desert Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK just been on to TomTom to see if I'm entitled to a free map upgarde when they come out as i've only just bought a 510, they said no only people who bought the older models like the 700 got a leaflet entitling them to a free update when it's availbale.

You've just got to admire TT's gall!!

In May 2006 I bought a 910, found it so bad within a week I got my money back and bought a 700. The 910 had no map voucher, the 700 did have one.

When you consider that TT haven't issued new maps since April 2005 (I started with a 300 in May 2005, got a 700 in December 2005 and never was notified of any new maps despite registering), it would seem logical that the map on the 910 (the x10 range was announced back in March, so was built before that) is no better than the 700.

Bit tough on the x10 series buyers don't you think?

Maybe TT will stand by their promise to someone on this site and will publish map version numbers with this next tranche of maps, then we can all see the transparency of what map is current (for which TT product).
Unfortunately I presume it's impossible for "us" to compare with each other due to the different OS and model versions of our TT products. Someone has already run a thread calling for all product map versions and yet still none of us knows whether "my" map is more up to date than "yours".
Just as a test, any of you, navigate to Leisure Road, Kingswood, Bristol BS15 9LA and see what you get - in the 300 it was a mere stub off the roundabout, a projected new road. On the 700 it's both the stub AND a bit of an arc (which actually should replace the stub). If the x10s are better, it may even become a crescent.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: