Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio & TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio & TMC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my TMC receiver from Easy Devices yesterday. Had a few short drives around the local area with the device deployed and with the antenna external and internal, but so far no TMC data has appeared, although the two little car symbols appeared briefly.

Have I bought another white elephant or am I just too impatient - perhaps I need to go on a longish run at busy times to get some data.

I must admit I am a little concerned that the new device does not function as it should, just like the Mio-badged one I bought earlier (and returned) - I'm now beginning to wish I'd bought the C710

Peasemold Sad
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the cars symbol, even temporarily, it suggests that the TMC is working. Next time you see the symbol, go to the TMC setup screen and check what station it is receiving. You might just have been in a poor coverage area for the broadcast stations. When you had the antenna 'external', how was it supported? - it must be well clear of the car body.

Sal
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
If you got the cars symbol, even temporarily, it suggests that the TMC is working. Next time you see the symbol, go to the TMC setup screen and check what station it is receiving. You might just have been in a poor coverage area for the broadcast stations. When you had the antenna 'external', how was it supported? - it must be well clear of the car body.

Sal
The antenna is just a wire with suckers for fixing to the windscreen. Iv'e tried it across the interior of the windscreen running along the top (behind the interior mirror) and also vertically stuck on the outside of the screen, adjacent to the driver's side pillar.

I have heard of people who have tapped into the car radio aerial - should I do that?

I went to the settings screen when I got the two car symbols, however there were no station names and no data but it did say "TMC present". It was very fleeting, though.

Peasemold
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:

I have heard of people who have tapped into the car radio aerial - should I do that?
Peasemold

That would be the ideal and I intend to do it at some time.
I'm not using the provided aerial because it looks unsightly and if left in the car might attract the wrong sort of attention. I use mine in two different cars and in both I have fitted a length of very thin enamelled copper wire that is almost invisible. The important thing is that it is kept as far as possible from the car's steelwork, not close to the edges of the windscreen.

Sal
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal,

I am looking to connect to an external ariel but looking at the plug on teh supplied version it is fitted with a four way jack plug. Presumably the socket is wired for earth, stereo left and right plus tmc ariel.

Where did you source the relevant jack plug?
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been having a senior moment as one search on maplin.co.uk and its the first item listed.

Now where's the blonde hair dye Laughing Laughing Laughing
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Me again.
Just for everyone's info.
I use the supplied aerial (and yes it is unsightly), but I haven't even taken off the tie wrap that it came with, and it works fine for me everytime.
I just chuck it in the glove box when I leave the car (the aerial, not the Mio).
Although it has to be said, most of my driving is in Surrey & London where the radio coverage is good.

CeeJay.
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone on here tell me which contact on the C710 TMC antenna plug is the one actually connected to the wire, I am assembling my own stereo piggyback conector and need to know which I should connect the new wire to.

Yes, I could cut into the supplied atenna to test it, but its still under warranty so I dont want to damage anything yet. A normal stereo jack would only have 3 connectors so I am guessing it is one of the 2 nearest the body of the plug, but which???

So, (excuse my ascii art!) is it 1,2,3 or 4?

____
\ _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_)
____/ 1 2 3 4

Sorry if this is slightly off topic......
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugwump wrote:
Can anyone on here tell me which contact on the C710 TMC antenna plug is the one actually connected to the wire, I am assembling my own stereo piggyback conector and need to know which I should connect the new wire to.

Yes, I could cut into the supplied atenna to test it, but its still under warranty so I dont want to damage anything yet. A normal stereo jack would only have 3 connectors so I am guessing it is one of the 2 nearest the body of the plug, but which???

____
\ _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_)
____/ 1 2 3 4

Sorry, the page has mashed my ascii art, I will try to find a photo!
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugwump wrote:
mugwump wrote:

____
\ _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_)
____/ 1 2 3 4

Sorry, the page has mashed my ascii art, I will try to find a photo!

Ok, heres the image {thanks Maplin} is it (counting from the body towards the tip), 1,2,3 or 4?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the outermost ring, nearest to the body.

Sal
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sal, righto, out with the soldering iron......
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugwump wrote:

Are you connecting it to the car aerail? If so you need to check whether its an 'active' aerial. If it is then you need to use a small value capacitor to block the DC.

Sal
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
mugwump wrote:

Are you connecting it to the car aerail? If so you need to check whether its an 'active' aerial. If it is then you need to use a small value capacitor to block the DC.

Sal

Good point, I havent checked yet, but I will add an isolating capacitor in any case, that way it wont matter for the sake of a 5p capacitor! Will also make it transferable (though its intended to be a semi permanent fit so I dont think I will be moving it and dont intend to change the car shortly).

Only thing thats frustrating me at the moment is I cant find a right angle version of the above jackplug which would make the install much neater.

Next job it to make a permanently wired in power supply and ditch the cigarette lighter.
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:
Finally got my TMC receiver from Easy Devices yesterday. Had a few short drives around the local area with the device deployed and with the antenna external and internal, but so far no TMC data has appeared,

My drives over the weekend with the aerial deployed in various ways produced no traffic information, so I can only assume that this GNS-Badged model is also incompatible with UK TMC, much as the Mio-badged device I had earlier in the month and sent back. As others (Ultrax and Bigrids) seem to have got this model working, I'm wondering if there is something vital, such as setting up, that I am missing.

Unforunately, I fixed the antenna to outside of the driver's side window and, in a senior moment, forgot it was there and wound the window down to pick up a car park ticket. The sucker got caught in the door and some damage was sustained to the aerial and its suckers so now I'm a bit unless Easy Devices are very kind or can suggest how I can get it to work, as they are unlikely to provide me with a refund.

I now sincerely wish I hadn't been such a tight wad and spent a little more on the C710. I'm seriously considering selling the C510E on a well-known internet auction site and buying a C710. Or am I getting too worked up about TMC? I've heard it is not all that good, being only marginally useful. Would I better listening more closely to Lynn Bowles and Sally Boazman?

My experience tells me that alternative routes suggested to get round congestion are often very congested anyway - you just might as well resign yourself to spending an hour or two extra on the road.

One last thing - I'm due to drive around Germany at the end of the month - I presume I might find my crippled TMC useful there?

Peasemold

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: