Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's: Is it time to clean up ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's: Is it time to clean up ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: POI's: Is it time to clean up ... Reply with quote

In February 2006 I bought a Tomtom GO 700 and am extremely pleased with it.

Like others I have scoured the Internet looking for POI’s that I believe will be of use to me and the family when we are out and about in “strange” places in the car. The best find for me was the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database as it is produced in a variety of flavours for many different types of GPS units and is regularly updated and long may it be so. As for the other “Types” of POI’s I have to say that I am pleased that someone has made the effort to produce them but disappointed with the information, completeness and accuracy of the latitude and longitude to the extent that much of the information given is of little use.

I am surprised that the Retail and Leisure Industries have not cottoned onto the fact that the age of “Sat Nav” is here and that Joe public has an appetite for information and therefore produce accurate and up to date information of their branches (including Lat’ & long’) on their websites for download.

When I am out and about in a strange place in the car what do I want from my “Sat Nav” ? part of the answer is nearly always a place to have a pee and a “cuppa” and to me that means somewhere where I can park outside for FREE and this normally translates into a Little Chef or a Drive-Thru McDonalds and a few independent cafes.

Could PocketGPSWorld.com come up with a system where “we” could input the information needed to produce POI’s for Little Chef and Drive-Thru McDonalds (town centre outlets in my opinion are of no use if you have to pay to park and then walk)

I have recently “cleaned” the POI’s for Little Chef that I download some months ago and the locations in Kent, East & West Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire are now up to date (according to Little Chefs on-line branch list)

This is what I include e.g.

Little Chef - A2 (Northbound) - Cobham, Gravesend DA12 3BH 51.40481 0.39602
Little Chef - A2 (Northbound) - Gate Services, Dunkirk ME13 9LN 51.28946 0.99586
Little Chef - A2 (Southbound) - Cobham, Gravesend DA12 3BH 51.40618 0.39535
Little Chef - A21 - Flimwell, Wadhurst TN5 7PR 51.07857 0.41890
Little Chef - A22 - South Godstone, Godstone RH9 8JX 51.21355 -0.05271
Little Chef - A22 / A26 - Maresfield, Uckfield TN22 5EP 50.98840 0.09071
Little Chef - A22 / A267 - Hellingly, Hailsham BN27 4DT 50.87889 0.23093
Little Chef - A229 (Eastbound) - Thanet Way, Faversham ME13 9EL 51.32555 0.98614
Little Chef - A229 (Westbound) - Thanet Way, Faversham ME13 9EL 51.32547 0.98723

Comments please

Paul W. H
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not picking holes, as it tends to be a personal thing, but if it is a Little Chef POI, why would you need the Name in the Text?

Also as you have the location listed in the POI, why would you need the Postcode also?

The Lat/Long at the end, is this in the Text, or the Data Fields? If it is part of the Text the same question applies as for Postcodes.

The rest I understand.Smile

When I create a POI, the question I usually ask myself is, 'How much information do I need?' I often include the telephone number as I can see a use for it.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply

In my example the name data, latitude & longitude are in fact in 3 separate fields, they are normally ordered Latitude, Longitude & Name.

My reason for including the "full" name data is because:

Some may wish to merge them into a new category with other places to eat and drink like McDonald's Drive-Thru or an independent establishment and it therefore makes sense to differentiate between them.

Secondly when it comes to amending or deleting entries it is a lot easier with the full details. this also helps to reduce the number of duplicates.

I think for these types of establishment a telephone number is not required as I don't expect many people pre-book a table at a Little Chef or McDonald's.

Paul W. H
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the other “Types” of POI’s I have to say that I am pleased that someone has made the effort to produce them but disappointed with the information, completeness and accuracy of the latitude and longitude to the extent that much of the information given is of little use.

I agree, the effort has been made but the poor accuracy negates the databases!

Just two examples [try them and see]:-

Towing a caravan in the dark to Baltic Wharf Caravan Site in Bristol you need a location for the 'entrance' accurate to the level of a GPS ie 15 feet maximum!
Database-N51.44712 W2.61585 [is the entrance by ferry, because there is no indication of the approach road???]
Actual Gate-N51.44649 W2.61427

Tesco in Haverfordwest
Database-N51.79889 W4.99236
Actual Entrance-N51.79878 W4.97912 [.6 miles out of location]

The database is for a GPS so must reflect the accuracy, to navigate straight to the POI.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
My reason for including the "full" name data is because:

Some may wish to merge them into a new category with other places to eat and drink like McDonald's Drive-Thru or an independent establishment and it therefore makes sense to differentiate between them.

Secondly when it comes to amending or deleting entries it is a lot easier with the full details. this also helps to reduce the number of duplicates.
That's valid comment. I use that method in my All-in-one Petrol POI.

PaulWH wrote:
I think for these types of establishment a telephone number is not required as I don't expect many people pre-book a table at a Little Chef or McDonald's.
They may like to check that it is open perhaps.

Another point that has to come into the equation is the lack of accuracy of the data available, either on the Website or in handout brochures, of the companies concerned.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: