Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Photoblocker is it legal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Photoblocker is it legal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Photoblocker is it legal? Reply with quote

Hi have just come across a product called photoblocker which apparently you spray over your number plate to make it invisable to speed cameras.
Just curious has anyone tried it.
It is meant for the driver who is caught just over the limit not for speed maniacs.
Check it out and see what you think?

http://www.photoblockeruk.com/

micmac :o :o :o
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal? I doubt it as it would be construed as obstruction of the police in doing their duty or similar buzzwords.

see here for others; http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was asked once before, but I cannot find the post - it was some time ago Embarassed
The basic consensus was that it was seen as perverting the course of justice, and with modern photo style packages on a PC the number could be very quickly worked out, lets face it they know the colour, type and model of car, so a bit of Photoshop style work with access to a number plate database (DVLA) and you would soon get found out, the downside is you have now been caught for two offences - speeding and pervertion of justice - Mike
micmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers just curious!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the cameras have had their flash "temperature" changed to combat this stuff. Don't know if it's true but it seems a reasonable idea.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you are breaking the law by obscuring your number plate.

Not displaying a number plate AT ALL is a serious matter, but displaying one incorrectly (ie, dirty, wrong size, wrong position etc) will probably only get you will probably a £30 fixed penalty (no points) and a rectification notice. You have to fix the fault and take the vehicle to be checked at an MOT station.

Perverting the course of justice? That's unlikely, you could just claim that all you did was spray it with WD-40 to polish it up a bit and didn't realise that that would blind the Gatsos. (If this spray actually works - it sounds like snake oil to me)

If the cops really want to give you a hard time then they can confiscate the numberplates as evidence so you can't drive the vehicle. In this case you have to find a marker pen and make yourself a new number plate from a bit of card.

I know this because a lot of motorcyclists have blatently illegal tiny number plates or loud exhaust systems and that is what happens to them...
Green_ninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT LEGAL and more importantly doesn't actually work as stated.
BlueBox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my m8 tried it out and it does not work
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses a phenomenon called retro-reflectivity: which basically turns the light around and sends it back whence it came. So the entire plate top surface becomes much much brighter, effectivly reflecting the light rather than allowing it to pass through. Most of the light flash is not allowed to get through as deep as the numbers. The film is thus washed out and overexposed by the reflections. It certainly works to an extent, whether sufficiently to guarantee an unreadable plate is debateable, but the claims are quite strongly made. I believe selling the spray is to be made illegal soon, and as such may not be illegal just yet. Whether interfering with a number plate in this way is illegal is another matter.

The yellow \ white backgrounds in your number plate already use retro-reflectivity, as do many road signs. This explains why they show up so brightly in your lights. I think the paint incorporates millions of very tiny spherical glassy beads and the signs use "micro-cubes" which deflect the light back directly within a very narrow cone. So someone stood a short distance to the side of your headlights will not see the road sign anywhere near as brightly lit as you, the driver, sees it.

Astronauts have left a very accurate large "micro-cube" on the moon to reflect laser light back here. Used in measuring the moon's distance from earth.

Interesting article here:

http://www.atssa.com/page.ww?section=What+is+Retroreflectivity&name=Basics

Nao
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Gatso near where I live had grey primer sprayed onto its flash and camera lenses by an incensed vandalistic motorist. I did allow myself a grin.
Although I wouldn't suggest this for a moment, it would be interesting to see what effect photoblocker would have if sprayed directly onto both a Gatso flash and lens unit.
Number plate details would be reflected directly back at your car! Every frame should be nearly blank, especially in the middle of the picture where the entrance angle is low, and where your number plate would usually be pictured.
The flash should be greatly weakened I would guess.

Nao

Nao
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is meant for the driver who is caught just over the limit not for speed maniacs.

"I'd like to buy a can of PhotoBlocker, please."

"Certainly, sir, are you sure you're only going to drive just a little bit over the limit ? If so, that'll be $29.99. But if you're a speed maniac, then I'm sorry but you can't have it."
Montana216
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost positive that this stuff is now legal, because they are are selling it at the NEC bike show all this week.It's not as though they can hide behind a computer screen there, can they.

I am still very dubious if it works though, and don't intend to a) buy some to try , and b) test the theory, by sppeding through a couple of cameras to see if I get a letter through the post.

Andy
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The product might be legal, applying it to your number plate is not though.

In my area even if you have moved a digit a mm the police will do you, they do not like number plate tampering here, which means quite a few holiday makers are caught by suprise.

To old to die young.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm almost positive that this stuff is now legal, because they are are selling it at the NEC bike show all this week.

Kazaa and other Perr to Peer programs are legal. However downloading mountains of copyrighted material isn't.

Buying a knife is legal but stabbing someone isn't.

Ownership of the spray may be legal (or more correctly not illegal - big difference) however using it to obscure your license plate is illegal not matter how you do it.

There was a Police, Camera, Action type program a few weeks ago where someone got pulled because their plate looked normal but the on board camera couldn't view the numbers (too bright). They were prosecuted.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
but displaying one incorrectly (ie, dirty, wrong size, wrong position etc) will probably only get you will probably a £30 fixed penalty (no points)

£1000 i believe now

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: