Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which .CAB file do I need to keep a backup reinstall card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which .CAB file do I need to keep a backup reinstall card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Which .CAB file do I need to keep a backup reinstall card? Reply with quote

I have overwritten the two 256MB supplied cards with Custom maps and other data.
I would however like to have the ability to reinstall Navigon when I am away from my PC. This is just in case I end up having to do a hard reset - dont want to be stranded without the software somewhere.

I understand that I need a .CAB file to install the software onto the PDA. I have found two cab files in the C:\Program Files\MEDION\MEDION-Navigator 2.0A\DeviceSetup folder on my PC - just not sure which one to copy onto the memory card.

Any replies appreciated - TIA.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your machine's processor. Most probably you need the ARM version.

One word of caution - depending on the smartness of the install routine your cab file may get deleted after a successful installation. So if you want to keep it on the card, better make a copy o the file just before installation, or alternatively mark it "read only" (although that doesn't help always)

There are also utilities out ther that allow you to create an autostart folder on your storage card. When you (re)insert the card this will then run the program in that folder - which can be your installer.

Please be aware that using a cab file on the PocketPC will always install the application into main memory. That may not be what you want, and you may have to manually move the directories back onto the storage card.

Another option would be to install the application onto the storage card in the first place. Alll you need for recovery after a hard reset would be a system backup (for the registry settings) - that system backup can also reside on the storage card, and shouldn't take more than 2MB.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I am happy with installing the software on the main memory so after reading your reply I have decided that the best option might be to just backup the whole of the main memory onto the card and so if I ever need to do a hard reset (I assume that?) I can just restore the backup and would have my GPS software (as well as other software) up and running.

With regards the .CAB option - how can I tell which of the 2 cab files is the ARM version?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally the processor type is in the name. What's the names of these files?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I use Sprite Backup to my storage card, which means I can easily restore my system.

CAB files for the ARM, if there are several with the same name, and it's not obvious which is which, are usually the ones that contain 2577 in the file name (which is the code used by some parts of the Windows CE installation system for the ARM). All Pocket PC 2002 and 2003 machines use ARM processors.

As Lutz said, unless you mark a CAB file as read only, it will probably be wiped when you execute it. There is a utility that allows you to install from a CAB file elsewhere than main memory, but I've never tried it.

David
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two cab files are called:
MEDION-Navigator.PPC302_2577.cab
MEDION-Navigator.PPC420_2577.cab
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that 302 is for Pocket PC 2002 (Windows CE version 3.0) and 420 is for Windows Mobile 2003 (Windows CE.Net 4.2).

Just try them out - you can't break anything physically.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Lutz - though I'm a little surprised at the file name of the file for the older OS being 302, not 300, as there was, to my knowledge, no CE 3.02 (Pocket PC 2002 was based on Windows CE 3.00).

(Windows Mobile for) Pocket PC 2003 sits on top of Windows CE 4.20.

The mention of 2577 is as I predicted - it's the processor code used for StrongARM.

David
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I'd agree with Lutz - though I'm a little surprised at the file name of the file for the older OS being 302, not 300, as there was, to my knowledge, no CE 3.02 (Pocket PC 2002 was based on Windows CE 3.00).

Pocket PC 2000 was 300.

Cheers
---Dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - both Pocket PC 2000 and 2002 were CE 3.00 based (I know druck knows this very well - I'm just adding background information for others that may be interested). There's quite significant changes in the Pocket PC stuff (that sits on top of Windows CE) between 2000 and 2003, however.

One of the big changes in Pocket PC 2003 was switching to the latest Windows CE .NET 4.2. There may not be as many visible changes as people hoped between 2002 and 2003 - but there's a tremendous number of 'behind the scenes' changes.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: