Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN6 and random/woefully innaccurate speed limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN6 and random/woefully innaccurate speed limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: TTN6 and random/woefully innaccurate speed limits Reply with quote

Annoying this one.

I like to have TTN show my current speed, I like to compare it to my speedo from time to time. But since I upgraded to TTN6 from 5 I have noticed that many areas have TTN sanctioned speed limits.

Not a bad thing in its self, but they are often wrong.

For example I travel along the A52 often, the single carriageway has a few central reservations near some big junctions. When I drive past them TTN6 claims the speed limit has increased to 70MPH (noteably in a SPECs area).

Another example, the A46 near Newark has been 60 MPH for as long as I can remember (maybe for 'ever') yet near a village TTN6 claims it is 30MPH and refuses to show my speed as I am clearly driving too fast.

2 examples of where they have it wrong, both too fast and too slow.

How can I turn this feature off and still have my speed shown?

Why on earth did TT decide to include this feature when they clearly don't have a clue as to what the speeds are?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can turn off the speed display but cannot turn off the warning speed independently, the red flashing display is difficult to see - not much help I am afraid but that's a limitation of the software - Mike
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda assumed that the whole over speed and arbitrary fictitious limits were not configurable via the UI, but thanks for confirming it.

Hopefully someone technical out there will find a way to remove it. I'm sure it won't be long before some finds themselves driving a long an unfamiliar bit of road and uses TT to guess the speed limit then gets a ticket.

You just gotta love the disclaimer:
The data contained in this application is useless, but we're going to display it proudly. If you use it and it's wrong the it's not our fault. Happy driving.

Does this inaccurate and useless 'feature' bug anyone else?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not worry about it, there are only two standard speed limits in the UK, 30mph and National Speed Limit, all other speed limits have to have regular signs showing what the speed limit is. The 30mph speed limit is defined by the street lighting and spacing and all other unsigned roads are NSL.

If you are not aware of the speed limit you are driving in, you are not paying attention to your driving conditions.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I would not worry about it, there are only two standard speed limits in the UK, 30mph and National Speed Limit, all other speed limits have to have regular signs showing what the speed limit is. The 30mph speed limit is defined by the street lighting and spacing and all other unsigned roads are NSL.

If you are not aware of the speed limit you are driving in, you are not paying attention to your driving conditions.

Exactly, which is why it's rather annoying to have TomTom flashing red at me when I know fine well I'm not exceeding the limit, and even I am I know I'm exceeding the limit and don't need TomTom to be telling me off Confused
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this at the weekend. A 30mph road through Chipping Norton shown as 60 was the worst, but there were numerous others that were 10 or 20mph out. The question is though, does it use these speeds to do the routing? If it does then the route is chooses as fastest may not be.
artesea
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it helps work out why some journey times are seriously over estimated. The A46 between Newark and Lincoln should take 10 minutes on a clear day, but regularly claimed by TomTom to take 20. Only with Nav6 did I discover they believe several sections of the 70mph road is 30 and most 40!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: