Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Restarting PPC when using Anquet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Restarting PPC when using Anquet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSquare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Restarting PPC when using Anquet Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has this problem, or, better still, a solution? I am trying to use my Pocket PC (HP iPAQ 2210) with a CF SysOn chip GPS and Anquet for PPC.

To save battery power on a walk, I need to turn my iPAQ off otherwise it won't last the distance. However, I cannot restart Anquet properly without a soft reset. Is there a way round this? It is really annoying to have to do that. I feel I should be able to resume where I left off.

I am using the latest version of Anquet with tracklogs. I have a feeling that that is causing the problem. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks,
TheSquare
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a direct answer as I don't use this software, but one way I have extended battery life is by using another little application to turn off the PPC screen. This saves some battery power thus extending the duration you can leave it powered. These utilities can be found by doing a search for "Backlight" on www.handango.com they don't cost much.

I prefer to leave any topo map logging where possible so you can see where you have been/ speed/ climb rate etc.

These days I leave my 4700 on all the time as I have it powered from an external pack, this gives me over ten hours from a single charge - Mike
TheSquare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Battery life Reply with quote

Thanks mikealder, I hadn't thought of that solution. What external pack do you use? I did try a larger extended battery but that was a disaster - I had to clear the whole system and start from scratch and even then the iPAQ broke and I had to send it back for repair. It also was too thick to fit in the cradle.

I have found a battery extender which requires 4 AA batteries. It looks as though this should manage a full day's walk. These could be rechargeable as well. Is that what you use?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery pack I use is home made, it comprises of eight AA NI-MH 2300mAh cells in series coupled to the ipaq via a voltage regulator, the whole lot lives in the Tall GPS pod which is an accessory for my waterproof Otter box case. The cells and reg unit are "potted" using clear silicone compound. Not a five min fix, but very practical when out walking as not only do you get protection from the weather, the Otter box gives a good degree of protection from damage should you drop the device.

As for using external battery packs, yes they can contain rechargable cells, go for the largest possible value you can find in mAh - the higher the longer it willl work, but please make sure you get the correct type of charger.

If you intend to carry multiple sets of charged batteries to "hot" swap in the external pack invest in a battery carry case (circa £2). High power capacity AA cells can short circuit, I have burnt my leg in the past - so I know the implications of stupidly putting the batteries in my pocket! - Mike
TheSquare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very quick response, Mike! I have now ordered a battery extender which requires 4 AA batteries. It was very cheap and I hope it fits in my Aquapac with the iPAQ.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is real overkill but this is what I do.....

I have Pocket Anquet on my Dell Axim X51v with a BT GPS unit. This has the route on it and sufficient map coverage for walk/bicycle ride.

I also have a basic hand-held GPS unit - just at the point of getting GARMIN GPS60 (basic version) to replace my old GPSII+ - should be here tonight!. This would have my waypoints and route(s) in it - from Anquet. I also have the paper map(s) - usually print-out from Anquet so it doesn't matter if water gets into my waterproof map case!. The GARMIN handheld is waterproof enough for most weather conditions so the AXIM and BT unit can be put in waterproof container in rucksac / bike bag.

I use the handheld for tracklog and basic navigation with use of the AXIM only if I need to confirm position on map or plan an alternative route. In most cases the AXIM stays off. I find a handheld attached to the rucksac - to leave hands free - is all I really need; but Anquet is really good for planning your 'adventure' and getting custom maps. It's really amazing how often a decent walk takes you off one OS map and onto another!

With the GPSII+ I get about 14 hrs from 4 AA batteries. With the GPS60 I am expecting 20+hrs from 2 AA's - and carring 4 extra isn't really a problem. I don't use re-chargeables - they don't have the life (used to get typically 10-12 hours) and cold weather affects their performance more than alkaline.

Phil
TheSquare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil - very similar to me! But do you not have problems restarting the handheld or can you go straight into Anquet tracklog? If so, it must be my machine.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSquare wrote:
Thanks, Phil - very similar to me! But do you not have problems restarting the handheld or can you go straight into Anquet tracklog? If so, it must be my machine.

Yes - I used to get this problem. You need to Exit the Pocket Anquet Application - not just close it with the X at the top right. Using the X causes the bluetooth software and Anquet to loose communication with each other and the result is that you generally need to soft reset. If you have a BT GPS unit like mine that turns off if it looses BT connectivity for 5 mins, you have to get an initial lock again! But as I said - it's not my main way of navigating on foot.

Phil
TheSquare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, thanks very much - exiting the program works (without a soft reset).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Anquet All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: