Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MMC format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MMC format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: MMC format Reply with quote

I wondered if someone could help me please? I have erroneously formatted my 'spare' Medion card using a PC formatting program!! Now it is not recognised by the PocketPC! The PocketPC will not re-format it either.

Paul Crying or Very sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program are you using on the PocketPC?

Try formatting it to FAT16 on your PC, that should normally also work in the PocketPC

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
What program are you using on the PocketPC?

The programs I use are Medion Navigator, Pocket genealogist and POIWarner. I formatted the card on my multi card reader using the PC. Something went wrong with the card whilst I was trying to copy data that was too large for it! I shall try and format it with Fat16, It might be a bit awkward as I am using WinXP, USB 2 with a multicard reader which does not work with USB1!

Thank you.
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add another pointer to my problem. My PC can see the MMC card as a disc in the card reader, format FAT (so it says now in the Disk management tool) the Medion is unable to see any storage card. When I inserted the card and checked it with System, Memory, Storage card there is none shown only the flash drive! I have found some formatting tools for the Pocket PC but as I am not able to see the card I am unable to use them. When I insert the card a message does appear asking me if it can Format the card Yes/No? Answering Yes or No makes not a jot of difference!

Paul
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds similar to a Compaq problem I have seen before where the Compaq got confused and managed to corrupt itself in ROM and wouldn't read any storage cards.

Performing a full hard reset on the Pocket PC managed to see the card from that point but it meant reinstalling all apps. For some reason the Compaq got itself caught up and wouldn't then read any storage card.

Not sure if it's the same problem, your problem may be more related to the storage card, but if you have tried formatting it as FAT16 and FAT32 on the PC and it's made no difference reading it on the Pocket PC, it could be a Pocket PC problem rather than a storage card problem.
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just looked at the 'iffy' storage card with the Disk Management Tools, WINXP, and it is formatted FAT32! I am unable to format it FAT16, with the tools that I have at present. I don't know what tool I can get to format it FAT16. I have seen that FAT32 is not recognised by the PocketPC. The Medion works ok with the other card so I am still able to use it for navigation! Is there anything 'out there' that I could use to format it FAT16 on my PC? Would Drive Image work if I copied the image from my other card and put it on the FAT32 card. Would that put the other format onto it?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that Dave.

That is the program I tried last night. The trouble is, the Medion will not 'see' the card! So I am unable to use it, very good program though

Would that Drive Image work do you think?

Paul
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Medion is asking you to format it, then I would think Storage Tools would be able to see it like the operating system is, but just not access it, so you should be able to format it under Storage Tools.

Have you tried it ?
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the program Storage Tools. The only thing that it can see is the Flash Disk. If I click on the drop down arrow only Flash Disk is shown!

I do realise the problem in connection with copying, thinking of this Drive Image program with all the implications with copying! All I need is the FAT16! All the card is going to be used for is Data, i.e. my family history!

Paul

Sorry for the delay in answering, visitors!
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my MMC formatting problem. I have answered my own question regarding Drive Image, it does not 'see' any other drives but Hard Disk Drives. I have even tried 'Flash Format' with no success. Although the operating system 'sees' the card, and asks to Format it, it also comes back to say that it is Formatted. It still does not show, only the Flash Disk. I have really messed this card up! Goodness knows what I have done to it! I put a file onto it which was too large, which prevented me from even deleting it! Formatting it, with WinXP, allows me to use it with my main computer but not with the Pocket PC. As a last resort I did a cold start to no avail! Now I am busy trying to get it to resync with my PC so that I can reload my other programs!
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is usually any drivers installed with the card readers, as these tend to mess things up. If you have Win2K or XP (or 98SE) you dont need any additional drivers, as the OS will automatically handle it. So uninstall them (if possible).

Plug the card reader in to an unmolested PC, it will create additional drives, find out which one is for the MMC. Then bring up format dialog by right clicking on the drive icon. You will see a format drop down box, this will be FAT32 for any card of 32MB or over, but for cards of less than 2GB, there will also be a FAT option. Select this, and format.

If the Medion still doesn't recognise it, you'll need a low level formatting program, as the equivelent for a Smartmedia card was the only thing that would get my Olympus camera to recognise my most expensive card after it had been written to by a computer.

Cheers
---Dave
peeved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Dave. I have not added any additional drivers for the card reader, it worked with XP just as you said. Yes I can see the additional drives, the card shows as Drive K:, and yes I have used that FAT option. I must admit, when I look at it with the Disk Management tool it reports it as FAT. I have been thinking, for a day or two, that it looks as if it needs something like a low level formatting tool. Where does one find such an animal?

Thanks again.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: