Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator UK with USA Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator UK with USA Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Navigator UK with USA Maps Reply with quote

Hi All,
First of all, great site. I'm really glad I found it.

I am awaiting delivery of my TomTom Navigator 2 for the UK, but I am intending to take my iPaq etc to the states when I go there for my honeymoon. Is it simply a case of buying the maps for the US and installing them, or is it not that simple ?

Also, is the voltage in the cigarrette lighters in US cars 12 volts ? Someone told me it was 24V

Many Thanks Thumbs Up
Dr V
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, at present you have to buy the full TomTomUSA package with software and maps if you wish to have Stateside coverage. TomTom released downloadable maps at nominal cost for certain popular holiday destinations in Europe last year but have yet to do the same for the US although many have requested it.

You never know, they may have made these available before you travel.

As for the cigarette lighter question, it's one of the few things our American cousins have not changed so you can happily power your accessories from a standard US vehicle's cigarette lighter socket. I must add that you should always confirm the vehicle is 12v, it's always possible that some of the larger SUV's or a Hummer may be 24v Confused
NeilS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly what you want to do last September and it worked perfectly. We drove about 1000 miles all navigated on TomTom. To make the the planning easier I saved the hotels we where visiting as points of interest.

Neil
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation is a little inequitable, because you can't buy maps only for the USA. Despite various pleas, TomTom haven't responded by making the situation arguably any fairer for those that bought a single European country version of TomTom Navigator 2.

My understanding is that the cheapest way to get all the maps is to buy Navigator 2 USA and the European map package. You can't buy maps only for USA, and you have to have a copy of the software to use the European maps - but Navigator USA includes a copy of the software, and my understanding is that you can use the European maps with it (nobody has ever contradicted this suggestion, anyway).

If I'm correct that you can use the European maps with Navigator USA, then if you're sure you're going to buy the USA version, think carefully about cancelling the order for the UK package (or returning it unopened), and instead ordering Navigator USA and the European maps. It won't cost you that much more and the European maps include the UK maps, as well as maps for many other European countries.

My understanding is that if you buy Navigator 2 UK and Navigator USA, you have effectively paid for two copies of the Navigator software - but there's nothing you can do about that.

Meanwhile, if I'm correct about the way things are, then if you buy Navigator 2 UK, Navigator USA and the European maps package, your Navigator 2 UK pack becomes entirely redundant (you have a copy of the software in Navigator USA and a copy of the UK map in the European maps package), but you can't get a refund nor can you do anything other than sell on your second hand and already activated at least once copy of Navigator 2 UK.

David
DerekG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had seen this thread three months ago, because I already have the UK software and the additional European maps. I now wish to buy the US maps which are almost indentical in price to the US software + maps bundle. In fact, TotalPDA have the US maps only for £139 at

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/product4543_20.aspx

whilst a company called Mobile Technology (UK) Limited have the combined software and US maps for £109 at

http://www.mobtech.co.uk/ecbmob/item1029.htm

I suppose the way to come to terms with the situation is that the maps are the real cost and the software is practically free? Clearly Mobile Tech have the keenest prices.

Since I have already activated my UK software and European maps, I can't go back on this, but I would like someone to advise me if the maps from the US software bundle can be installed over the top of the UK software - in rather the same way that the European maps do?

As an aside, TomTom have released new maps for the US version on the 17th December, but they are only offering a free upgrade to customers with the US software + maps product (not the US maps only product). The free upgrade also lapses on the 28th February, so I don't have much time to get myself sorted out with the best US maps available.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether TotalPDA are mistaken - I am not aware that TomTom have released a maps only product for the USA. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has mistakenly carried over the description of the European maps (which do require you to have another copy of TomTom Navigator 2) when creating that page. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the maps and software USA package - at what sounds like a not very competitive price!

So far as the upgrade offer closing goes, my understanding is that this is because packages shipped to retailers have contained the updated CDs for some time. Of course, though, with lower turnover of the product in the UK, there's always the chance of inadvertently getting a package that's been sat on the shelf for some while and only had the older CDs. The newer packs contain seven CDs.

David
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Not too bad when you think about it Reply with quote

When I go on honeymoon, I will be in the US for just under 1 month, my girlfriends is a travel agent as was investigating the costs of hireing a Sat Nav kit from our car rental company. The cheapest we could find was £40 a week, £40 X 4 £160 againt the cost of about £109 to buy the US software, even if I never use the software again, it's still cheaper than hiring when I'm there.

Dr V
markd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, I can confirm that the US maps install happily over the UK software. I did that last month and used the system extensively in DC, PA,MA,NH and ME with no problems. I had 2 hire cars at different times and no problem with the cigarette lighter power.

Mark
DerekG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for responding.

DavidW. I think your suggestion about a typing mistake for the US maps-only advertisment is probably right. TomTom seem to be adamant that they don't make a maps only version of the US product. I have asked about 5 online stores whether they have the 7 CD December 2003 version and none of them can confirm which they have - one way or the other. I shall ask in a month's time and see what transpires.

MarkD. I appreciate the feedback that you didn't need to install the software from the US maps. Even with the European maps you have to actually run the Setup from the CD, but if you run the US Setup, how do you stop the repeat installation of the software and just de-compress the maps data? Do you get asked to activate the maps during the setup or the first time you switch to them within TomTom?

DrVenkman. I've been married for 34 years and I can't think what my own honeymoon would have been like with a GPS driven PPC for a distraction. Seriously though, it's a pity you were quoted £160 by the car rental company, but in my experience, if you visit the US for a honeymoon, you'll be back plenty of times in the future, so it could be a wise investment going the TomTom route.
markd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek,

When you run the installation software from the US discs, you can just select the option to install maps (and not the Navigator software again). There are many different combinations of States you can choose from to suit your journeys and size of memory card.

I do not recall any activation issues with the US maps - I can't even remember noticing activation happening, but it may have gone on in the background as I am permanently internet connected. This was in marked contrast to installing France maps earlier when activation was so problematic that TomTom had to email me an alternative activation code to get going.

The trip in December was done with the older maps and to be honest I had no problems - just the usual odd stretches of new road or restructured junctions that weren't on the maps just like the UK. The only minor usability issues were in Boston where the very extensive tunelling of roads and use of "doubledecker" roads leads to frequent loss of GPS signal - but that's a GPS issue not a TomTom issue. The free upgraded maps were sent to me a few weeks ago, but as I have no immediate transatlantic trips planned I haven't installed them.

Mark
DerekG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkD,

Thanks for your insight to the installation. I have an Expansys.co.uk warehouse just a few miles away so I'll get myself down there tomorrow to make my purchase. They even do a price-match for customers who turn up in person, so it could be quite a deal. Thanks again.
DerekG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkD

I got the TTN US version today but inspite of a quick stock tunover by the retailer, it seems TomTom are still sending out the 5 CD versions. I can't find anything on www.tomtom.com detailing exactly what to do to get the 7 CD upgrade. Can you give me a starting point on where to apply? I presume the uprade was free?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/products/usaupgrade/ contains the form.

There's one advantage of product activation - no need for proof of purchase. Just fill in the form, including your product code, and TomTom should send you the CDs.

David
markd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Derek, I bought the original TTN2 discs from Expansys and registered them with TomTom. TomTom later (16/12/03) sent me an email inviting me to upgrade (free) with a link to the url that David has given you. That was just a few days after I had returned to the UK! It took about 3 weeks from memory before they actually arrived - they were sent from Concord MA - just outside Boston.

Mark
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Another Question Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, now I have another question Embarassed

What happens to the default UK voices ? For example, in the UK there are sound files for "Motorway" and "Roundabout" whereas in the US there are no roundabouts and motorways are called freeways. If I just add a US map to my install, will the voice say "Join Motorway" or will it not say anything at all as there is no "Join Freeway" file ?

Will I need to install the US voices ? If not, will my Tom Tom be silent ?

Cheers

Dr V Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: