Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - loading new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

loading new maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cojohill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: loading new maps Reply with quote

i have just purchases the i3 with the pre loaded maps, and have read that it would appear that some have a card slot. as mine does not can i still load new map say to the usa
jimdee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look closer... you do have a memory card slot. Its tiny! as it takes micro SD cards which are reallt small!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and...you can load usa maps onto a blank card and use it in the i3...
Guyonahi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am emigrating early next year and would love to take my i3 with me 8)

Is it as simple as buying something like the City Navigator North America, downloading it onto a micro SD card, then replacing the card I already have in my i3? I do have a microSD card reader so I guess I would just need to buy a new card.

Sounds almost too straightforward...if it's more complex or if anyone has done this I would be interested to hear about it. I did a search on the forum to find more info but when it returned 8,000 matches I decided to opst in this thread after the first few pages of posts didn't really answer my question. Crying or Very sad

Also I saw that you need to have an NT compatible unit if you want to use NT software - how would I know if my i3 was NT or not?

Sorry if these sound like simple questions to those of you in the know but I guess we were all newbies once! Embarassed

Thanks in advance.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mate ,its as simple as you say....(wish i could emigarte to the states Crying or Very sad )
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean 'emigrate' not 'emigarte'...doh!
Guyonahi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zogman. All I need to do now is fnid a cheap card that I can fit the maps on.

I remember a thread I saw recently where someone posted a link to cheap micro SD/transflash cards, now where did I put it...!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a google mate , theres loads of places including ebuyer and ebay...
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for just a few quid..... 7dayshop
...btw don't be tempted to get anything bigger than 512mb as this allegedly slows the unit down.
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
Guyonahi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: The Bigger The...Slower? Reply with quote

Thanks again Zogman, will do.

Thanks Graham, I did see the thread about possible slowdown on larger cards but don't recall anyone confirming this.

I'm not sure how big the maps are until my Ebay purchase arrives :D but even on one CD it has the potential to be 700MB so I may need to opt for a 1GB card.

I want to dump the whole of North America onto it as I'm not sure exactly which state I will be living in yet and want to travel a lot anyway without having to keep changing the States stored on the card (although if push comes to shove I could leave off the States furtherst from where I live).

Also I read that even though I have a card with the UK maps on, the POIs are stored internally...hoping this won't cause issues if I'm swapping out the UK maps for US ones.
Guyonahi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Maptastic Reply with quote

Ok, latest update, try to keep with me :-)

I bought Mapsource maps for North America v5, bought an upgrade DVD and went up to v7. All looks fine on the PC.

Selected the States I wanted to download (yikes they take up some space!) and downloaded about 500MB to a new micro SD card (using a card reader, the card was not in the i3). I put it into my StreetPilot i3, but when I power it on I get the message:

"Please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn-by-turn route information."

Do I:
- need to do a reset?
- need to connect the device with the blank card already in and download that way
- need to give it up as a bad job as it all seemed to easy to believe Laughing Out Loud
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take you have put in the unlock code in for the unit(Mapsource only supply 2 and as long as the product was new when you bought it, one code will be for the pc and the other for the unit ) you should transfer the map via the unit rather than the card reader.

I hope that you haven't been sold a second hand Map with the codes already used!
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest you blank your failed attempt of the spare card via the card reader before you put it back in the unit itself to transfer the map via the i3 . If you don't the i3 takes ages to delete the old map
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Maptastic Reply with quote

Guyonahi wrote:
I get the message:
"Please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn-by-turn route information."
I'm watching this one, too as my bro-in-law has the exact same issue (posted elsewhere, but no luck with solutions so far) he has secondhand Mapsource Europe v8 DVD with 25 digit code installed to PC and unlocked. Has tried loading direct to a fresh card and through the unit (with card installed), but gets this message; he presses the 'back' button but can only see base maps.
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
Guyonahi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: North America Maps on StreetPilot i3 Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies :D

BBB999: It was an Ebay special but it was supplied with the code and had never been used. I did go through the wizard and registered the code successfully with Garmin. The North America map displays fine on the PC (although haven't tried to plan a route), so I manually clicked on some States around where I need and then left it downloading overnight.

I will try blanking it and connecting the i3 directly via USB and trying again.

MK_G: Hopefully we can get this sorted. I didn't pay a Kings Ransom for the maps but it would still be nice to get it working. If I press the arrow (back) button the i3 just beeps at me and does nothing more.

Will update this later after I try it out. I will do it for 1 State first so I don't have to wait forever for the download

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: