Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Specs camera loophole
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs camera loophole
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nivek22 wrote:
Aren't there 'stay in lane signs' on this stretch of Motorway?

Yes, and I thought it was for reasons of safety. Perhaps there's another reason.....................

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
You missed the significant point. I started off by saying "Changing lanes on a straight road..."

Ah, sorry I read it too quick and only saw "the error always is in your favour". So we all agree that if the road isn't straight then the error may not be in your favour.

Perhaps that is why the Home Office decreed that the speed could only be measured on a per lane basis. Even then though, a driver could enter the timed area change lanes several times and then leave the area in the same lane and it would be recorded as a valid speed measurement. Confused
hcl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely then one could argue (in court that) they would have to prove that you remained in the same lane all the time?
(as a corollary, they could dig out the photies from ALL lanes and 'match them' against each other, calculate the resultant speed and re-charge you anyway)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this may or may not be true and I have no evidence either way. However I would have thought that if an organisation has the ability to design, install, and run a SPECS system, they would be in a position to readily add additional hardware and make software changes to cope with lane changers IF the current system couldn’t already cope with that event. This is an interesting discussion, however:

1. I would not risk my driving licence by speeding in a section camera area.

2. Fortunately I don’t use many roads that have SPECS, but if I did I’d be concerned abut people changing lanes with no warning whilst in a section camera area.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
if an organisation has the ability to design, install, and run a SPECS system, they would be in a position to readily add additional hardware and make software changes to cope with lane changers

You are quite right that the system software could be updated to check the speed of vehicles which have changed lanes but the interesting thing is that The Daily Mail claims that the Home Office Type Approval stipulates that they can only check the speed of a vehicle if it enters and exits the zone in the same lane.

So the limitation is a political one relating to the Type Approval setting out how SPECS is allowed to be used, not a technical one relating what SPECS is actually capable of doing.

They could get the Type Approval changed, but I don't think this is a trivial task....
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you trying to find ways to beat the system. The speedlimits are there for a very good reason.
Dont get me wrong, I like to go fast myself but in roadworks it's very dangerous to speed.
I always drive at a safe distance from the car in front but there's always some selfish ba****d that WILL get in front either by bullying me into pulling over or by undertaking and then cutting in front of me.
This and driving too close surely are the major factors in motorway accidents.

TomTom Go 600
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why are you trying to find ways to beat the system. The speedlimits are there for a very good reason.

I had not got the impression from reading this thread that anyone was trying to beat the system - it is an interesting academic discussion based upon a newspaper article which, if I remember correctly, indicated the current legal shortcomings of the SPECS cameras. (And, I assume you (singular) refers to you (plural) ). Wink

Anyway, I do agree with you that speed limits are there for a very good reason but which one of us has not exceeded them at some time or another Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korndog wrote:

Could you possibly explain what the good reason is in this example?

Deserted motorway, 3am, no workforce, three lanes reduced to two. 40mph SPECS in operation.

How is this different from a normal two lane motorway working at 70mph?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Deserted motorway, 3am, no workforce, three lanes reduced to two. 40mph SPECS in operation.

Try this:

With an ordinary 2-lane motorway you have every expection of it being clear of obstructions.

With work in progress on a parallel lane, there is a possibility of traffic cones, building materials etc being scattered onto the remaining lanes.

Sal
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
korndog wrote:

I know it can be frustrating but the roadworks are usually only 3 or 4 miles at most. So you've lost maybe 2 or 3 minutes of your life. Then you can put your foot down to get them back 8)

TomTom Go 600
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, good points both of you. (You can tell I'd just been chugging slowly through some when I wrote!)

Incidently, the two sections I went through over the weekend were both two lanes wide and only had a single camera covering them.
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Fair enough, good points both of you. (You can tell I'd just been chugging slowly through some when I wrote!)

Incidently, the two sections I went through over the weekend were both two lanes wide and only had a single camera covering them.

Yeah I noticed that somewhere, could have been the M56 near Runcorn. It must be when they alter the roadworks but forget about the cameras.

TomTom Go 600
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly won't be betting my well earned cash on whether this is correct or not. If I really wanted to speed I would only do so in areas where the database says there are no cameras at all.

A question: often there are more than 2 specs cameras in a monitored section: Do specs infringements work between any pair, or just between adjacent pairs of cameras?
If the first applies then lane changing may not get you out of trouble.

Nao
TuppyTrucker
Lifetime Member

Location: Mandeville en Bessin, 5km from OMAHA beach, Nomandie, France

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

Try this:

With an ordinary 2-lane motorway you have every expection of it being clear of obstructions.

With work in progress on a parallel lane, there is a possibility of traffic cones, building materials etc being scattered onto the remaining lanes.

Sal

How about a 3 lane motorway, reduced to 2 lanes for roadworks with a specs enforced 40mph limit, and a 3 lane motorway, reduced to 2 lanes for roadworks with a specs enforced 50mph limit.
Why the difference?
M1 6a to 9 and M40 8 to 9 if you're interested.
The M1 northbound after 9 is 4 lanes with hard shoulder, reduced to 4 lanes without hard shoulder, and still a 40 mph!
Most non GPS equipped drivers go at 35mph because their speedos are so inaccurate. Trying to make even 40 mph (gps indicated) is rarely possible , let alone the 44 you can get away with.

BTW has any body ever come across a genuine conviction for a specs enforced offence?
I never have, and I've asked loads of drivers.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuppyTrucker wrote:
BTW has any body ever come across a genuine conviction for a specs enforced offence?

I don't know of any convictions in court but I do personally know a few of people who have been given a conditional offer (£60/3 points) after being caught by the Tower Bridge 20 MPH specs cameras.

As an aside, I was looking at the Tower Bridge cameras and there are two cameras at the entry point but only one at the exit of the controlled zone. How does that work (given the allegations made by The Mirror et al)?

Is this an exception because the road merges from two lanes into a single lane at the end of the SPECS control zone?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: