Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seamless Europe map on Navigator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seamless Europe map on Navigator 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
sirox wrote:

I just decompressed the Western Europe cab file manually, using WinZip. What I get is:

cline.006 (539MB)
poi.010 (36KB)
tmccodes.008 (2KB)
traffic.009 (1KB)
WEST~0A4.007 (1KB)
WEST~0E4.000 (1KB)
WEST~5GF.011 (1KB)

How am I supposed to install these manually on the SD card?!?

You simply copy them into a folder on the storage card. rename the extensions to .dat according to the contents of the WEST~0E4.000 file.

And go find the missing files (002, 003, 005 etc)

And how do I find the missing files? Winzip only shows me the above...
Nietzsche
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: TT6 installing maps - insufficient space error - TomTom HOME Reply with quote

Hi
I'm new to this forum, but I've also just upgraded from TT5 to TT6 and have exactly the same problem installing maps..... very frustrating.

Anyway, to cut a very long story short, TomTom support told me to install the maps via an SD card reader. I have one on a printer & the Tom Tom HOME application 'sees' this, allowing you to install my 221Mb GB maps (in my case) on my 1Gb SD card.

I agree though with the earlier poster that the HOME application must have some problem, since when my PDA2K was docked, it said there was not enough space, when in reality there was 4 x the required space Evil or Very Mad

I hope this helps other TT6 users.

Regards

i-mate PDA2K
Widows Mobile 2003 2E
1G SD card
TT6.010 (7220)
Installed Maps: v652.1204 - GB plus major roads WE, Italy

"God isn't dead, he's just gone on vacation"
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I also use the card reader method. But TomTom Home still crashes while unpacking the big Europe map.
And TomTom acknowledges the problem.
Waiting for a fix from them...
hgaerttner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem:

- Navigator 6 DVD (Maps of Western Europe)
- Nokia N80

Installing on the miniSD via Cardreader and the TT Home Software.

I can only install some maps (like Germany, Canary Islands) but several others D/A/CH, France and the complete maps completely destroy the data on the SD card. The card must be formatted again and the whole installation has to be started again.

More worse: some other things like downloading a voice seem to cause the destruction, too.

Emailed TT but didn't get a response so far.

Regards
Harald
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Navigator 6 really have Canary Island maps? I wanted them recently for Navigator 5. TomTom CS said they didn't exist so I asked if they would be available on Nav 6. They told me NO.
If they are there, can you tell me if they have street names outside of Las Palmas for Gran Canaria? (I bought the City map for Las Palmas as I couldn't get whole Canary Islands from TomTom)

Regards

hgm
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a separate Canary Islands map, of about 4-5 MB.
hgaerttner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep you updated: Problem is solved. It wasn't TT's fault ... it was either my cardreader or the jacket for the miniSD.

It's weired as the cardreader works fine regading copying, formatting etc. but has problems with the TT installation (seems the main issue was the size of the maps and the reconnection of a installed card).

I bought a new cardreader (that handles miniSD directly) and everything works fine now (and even a little faster).

Regards
Harald
Mandel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: I managed to install the map! Reply with quote

:D
I had almost the same problem installing maps.
Installed Navigator 6 on my Qtek 2020, but maps could not be installed.
Action 1 = unpacking whent right but action 2= installing stopped after 1% giving the error message "There is not enough free space on Your TomTom device to install the item"

I called the TomTom support and they said that my device (Qtek 2020) was not compatible with Navigator 6. I told them that they were wrong, I am running TomTom 6 with a small map (canarian_islands) and it works great. But they would not agree that there was something wrong with TomTom HOME.

Reading this Forum I found the reply above and tried it. It works!

Do like this:
- On the TomTom installation DVD locate the map files You need: (in my case Scandinavia.cab and Scandinavia_2.cab)

- Copy these files to a folder and Extract them there

- Change the file extension to .dat on these files:
cline.00?
cname.00?
cnode.00?
faces.00?
mapinfo.00?
poi.00?
tmccodes.00?
traffic.00?

- Open the file with extension .000 in notepad, note the filename with extension .mac

- Open the files with names that start with Your maps name (in my case Scandinavia), one at the time in notepad.
The file that contains the text xxxxxxxxxx is the one that should have the filename with .mac that You noted above.
The file that contains the text yyyyyyy You change the extension to .mpr
The file that starts with the text ID= You change the extension to .pna
The remaining file You change the extension to .mid

- Now start syncronization with Your PDA

- Go to ActiveSync, Explore and to Your Storage Card

- Create a folder with the name of Your map (in my case Scandinavia)

- Drag and drop the files that You have renamed into the folder You created

Start Navigator 6 on Your device and if You did everything right it will work
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem, which originated this thread, actually happens on step 1 (unpacking), and only happens with the Europe map.
In any case, TomTom admits the problem, as it happens on their computers too, and today they sent me the following update:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Currently TomTom is working on a fix and will be available in mid November through TomTom Home. We can only advice to try on a different computer, as the problem is occurring from the laptop.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Nevertheless, I'll try your method and see if it works.

In any case, when you speak to them you should just say that you are using a card reader directly, no actual device. This way they cannot accuse you of using an unsupported device. This is anyway the best, quickest and safest way to install TomTom 6.
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I managed to install the map! Reply with quote

Mandel wrote:

- Copy these files to a folder and Extract them there

- Change the file extension to .dat on these files:
cline.00?
cname.00?
cnode.00?
faces.00?
mapinfo.00?
poi.00?
tmccodes.00?
traffic.00?

Hello, could you please explain how you extract the CAB files?!? I am using WinZip, but WinZip only shows some of the files you list, not all of them (for example cname and cnode do not appear). Is there another zip program that I should use?
Thanks.
Mandel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Extract cab- files Reply with quote

I use WinRar to extract the cab- files

www.winrar.com
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use WinXP. Double-click on the .cab file and I get the contents shown.
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed WinRAR, and I can confirm that WinRAR can see all the files on the CAB files. So, I have tried to unpack the seamless map of Western Europe from TomTom's DVD, and guess what?!?

WinRAR unpacks all the files, but produces an error on the file "faces.004", saying that the CAB archive is corrupt!!!!! This is exactly the type of thing that happens to TomTom Home!

So, I think that TomTom has actually produced buggy DVD's for TomTom 6 Europe, as they contain a corrupt CAB file for the seamless map of Europe!

I wonder how they are going to fix it! They say that a new version of TomTom Home in mid November will fix the problem, but this is not a problem of TomTom Home, rather of a corrupt file in the production DVD!!!

Very "unimpressive"... Confused
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had this problem and TT6 single map of Europe installed without issue, although it took ages even on a US2 card reader.

The only difference I can see is that I installed TT Home from the website and not from the DVD. When I ran the DVD it said you have a newer version of TT Home installed, do you wish to overwrite it? (or similar)
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I have not had this problem and TT6 single map of Europe installed without issue, although it took ages even on a US2 card reader.

The only difference I can see is that I installed TT Home from the website and not from the DVD. When I ran the DVD it said you have a newer version of TT Home installed, do you wish to overwrite it? (or similar)

Yes, when I installed from DVD it auto-updated itself from the web also in my case. The problem appears both with the old and the new version.

But frankly, the problem is that the CAB file is really corrupt, at least on the batch of DVD's to which I belong. And this is true also for TomTom internally.

We'll see what the mid November fix will actually do...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: