Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help.... destinator.... any ideas?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help.... destinator.... any ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevmcr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Help.... destinator.... any ideas? Reply with quote

Hi... got a big problem Crying or Very sad

just bought an ipaq with destinator on it... have been playing wit the ipaq and it has totally reset itself. thus i have now lost the destinator prog files... i still have the maps on the sd card...

wot can i do???????????

i have tried lookin on kazzaa, there seens to be some destinator files there but do not seem to be wot i am looking for

8O if only i had done a backup 8O

any sugestions?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called reinstalling with the original CD's that you received when you purchased it. If you didn't receive any CD's, then it's a pirated version that you have and you should go back to the company or person you purchased it from and complain.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about as confused as Dave.

If the original poster bought an iPAQ with Destinator loaded on it, then he should have also received the Destinator software package with the original program media and the activation details (I'm pretty sure Destinator uses activation of some sort).

If the original poster hasn't got this package, then he does not have a valid licence to use Destinator, and he has no right to attempt to restore the software. It's possible, though we can't know, that the now lost copy of Destinator is one that's had something possibly illegal done to circumvent the activation system - though it's also possible that the seller did intend to transfer Destinator, in which case the purchaser should chase the seller for the missing media and activation details.

From what the original poster wrote it sounds as if he knew he didn't have a licence, particularly as he, by his own admission, tried the P2P networks for an installer.

These forums do not condone nor support software piracy. I'm always surprised at the number of people who have supposedly lost original installation media. There are some cases where media is legitimately destroyed, such as in a fire, though in these cases software companies will usually help out, particularly if you registered the software and/or kept a note of the serial numbers and similar details.

I would have hoped it was obvious that it is not legal to sell a Pocket PC with all your commercial software loaded onto it unless you also transfer the software. Most software specifically prohibits loading onto multiple units at once - it's usually one Pocket PC, one licence. A further barrier to transferring software is that a lot of applications (though not usually GPS related ones) activate against the owner name of the Pocket PC.

Piracy is particularly baffling in the Pocket PC market. On the whole, Pocket PC software is very reasonably priced (many excellent programs cost US$25 or less, which is a really good deal the way the exchange rates are currently), particularly when you consider that the potential market is much smaller than for PC software. If we don't support the software companies, we won't have the breadth of software developed for Pocket PC in the future.

Any applications that include map data are expensive - but the cost is in no small part down to that of the map data. When you compare the cost of many of the systems we use to a single disc for many of the satellite navigation systems that the car manufacturers offer, I think we get a good deal with our Pocket PC systems!

There's all sorts of bits and pieces you should get when you buy a second hand Pocket PC. There should be at least one software CD that came with the machine - though you may find that if the copy of Outlook is Outlook 2002, they you may not be able to use that number if it has already been used on another machine (due to Microsoft's Product Activation). There should also be a cradle at the very least - many machines have more accessories than this (an iPAQ 3900 series would have had a box, a cover pack, a cradle, a charger, a little adaptor to connect the charger straight to the Pocket PC with a rubber strap to attach it physically to the charger plug, a CD, a couple of booklets and a spare stylus).

If you don't get the various bits and pieces, I'd question where the machine came from and whether the vendor has the right to be selling it.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: