Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera downloads for Sony Nav-u
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera downloads for Sony Nav-u

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottfree
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Speed camera downloads for Sony Nav-u Reply with quote

I am trying to find out which information and what files I should use to download the Speed camera database onto a Sony Nav-u GPS unit using NAVTEQ software.
I am an absolute novice at this so please keep the explanations suitably simple!
Thanks
Scottfree Confused
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do it simply I'm afraid.

You need to either buy POI_Warner or get a free copy of POI_Observer and install/configure them first, neither of which is completely straight forward.

A few of us use POI_Observer - I'm not sure how successful POI_Warner has proved yet as nobody has posted a success story I don't think.
emsig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try SpeedLimit, very easy installation:

http://www.scdb.info/en/plugin-speedlimit/
Benny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any views on this product. How does it compare with the GPS Database in terms of camera coverage.

Any information greatly appreciated as I am about to give up on POI Warner, it and my Sony U50 just don't get along.

Regards

Benny5
Benny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Am I on the wrong Topic/Forum (If so, please guide me elsewhere) or is my Sony U50 incapable of running propriety software that delivers POI’s with speed cameras.

I have purchased POI Warner – it causes the unit to crash- Warner response ‘this can happen on some devices’.

Also, I have been seeking view on ‘plugin-speedlimit’, however, before wasting more effort and money I have been canvassing opinions as to its viability, particularly with a Sony Device.

In desperation,

Benny5
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try POI-Observer perhaps, Benny, as I suggested before? It's a bit fiddly to install and use, but it does work well. I've written full instructions on the install at this thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38750&highlight=poiobserver+full+instructions
Benny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dippy

Your response is greatly appreciated.

As I said previously I am, at best, probably one level below ‘beginner’.
I have printed your pretty comprehensive set of instruction and given the lack of support I am currently getting from POI Warner I may summon up sufficient courage to have a go at your solution.

One again thank you for your time.

Benny5
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Benny.

Only thing is that disaster has struck me. The darned thing fell off the windscreen yesterday and clouted itself on the gearstick.

One broken U70 screen.

Sony say £70 to £200 to fix, so can't decide whether to cut my losses and buy something else instead ( like the new Sony U81T if it's any good, due in a couple of weeks)

So I am now without a unit at all. All of which means that if you have a problem, I'll TRY to help, but it will all be from memory now! There are others who have done it of course though.

Yes, I am Mr Grumpy today.
Benny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your offer of assistance and sorry to learn of your mishap.

My unit is out on ‘loan’ to my daughter at the moment so I can’t attempt your fix.

Overall, while I am very pleased with the U50 , I was attracted to it in the first place because of the Sony brand, I am a big fan of their products, however, if I was starting all over again I think I would gone for an alternative solution.

I have been impressed by the new TT1 V2, also the Garmin 300 series, the latter seems ‘feature rich’ and a long battery life,, (saw then in Halfords recently)

P.S. Any chance your insurance would cough up on the old one. (Some household policies may extend their accidental damage to such items.

Regards

Benny5
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've private messaged you Benny.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: