Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just ordered TomTom One v2... mistake?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just ordered TomTom One v2... mistake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caspian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Just ordered TomTom One v2... mistake? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just ordered the new TomTom One v2 from Dixons.

Reading around, it seems like it's not as good as v1 in certain aspects?

Would anyone who's used both be willing to offer an opinion on which version they prefer? Confused

Key issues seem to be:

a) processor speed - is it really that much slower?
b) map accuracy - I would presume this would be the same on v1 and v2?
c) battery life - seems to be less on v2?

Would appreciate some reassurance from anyone who's happy with their v2 - if not I may consider returning v2 and getting a v1 instead!

Thanks loads,

Caspian
Midlands, UK
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a V1 and now have a V2 Europe. Personally, I would stick with the V1 UNLESS you need Europe. If just UK, I think the V1 is quicker to route and much better built. I also prefer the mount with the V1.

If you want Europe then I would go with the V2 option. I still put forward that it isn't as well built as the V1 but I prefer the Navteq maps that come with the V2 Europe. Also, it works out quite a bit cheaper this way than buying a V1 and then adding European Maps.

If this is your first Sat_nav unit, I think you will be impressed with either of them. It is only when you compare side-by-side that I have come to my thoughts.

Cheers
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have a v2 and I guy from my company has a v1 we worked together the other day and we had both TomToms in one van to be truthfull I could not tell any difference in speed of calculating routes or redirecting when we went off route my work mate said he would have bought the v2 if it had been out, for the size and extra features i have used tom tom 5 on my pda for ages and much prefer my tom tom v2
Griff
caspian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - I phoned Dixons and cancelled my order Embarassed

Ideally I'd like a PDA-based system - mostly because the PDA itself would be v. handy - but I might wait until a few more in-depth reviews of v2 come out.

Meh... I hate buying gadgets, I always feel I've chosen the wrong one!!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used tomtom for the past 4/5 years on a pda - got a v2 ONE 2 weeks ago and have to say wish I'd swopped earlier.

The unit is brilliant - quicker to route than my dell pda with a processor speed of 624, easier to operate and the traffic via a bt phone is much more robust - due to a better bt implementation by tomtom than on WM5.

I'm now looking to junk the pda and buy a small smartphone (avoided these as I think the screen size is too small for sat nav) - the ONE stays in the car or in my laptop case which I take everywhere.

For 200 quid it cannot be beaten.

The cost of a pda solution - £300 for the pda, £50 for bt gps unit, £50 for pda car mount, £80 tomtom 6 - so more than twice the price. If the primary use is sat nav don't bother with the pda...... or buy a small cheap pda and a stand alone unit.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be selling these in november.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF05a/21675-21679-21679-21679-297609-12816716.html

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF05a/21675-21679-21679-21679-297609-12816832.html

They look quite slick.

caspian wrote:
Cheers - I phoned Dixons and cancelled my order Embarassed

Ideally I'd like a PDA-based system - mostly because the PDA itself would be v. handy - but I might wait until a few more in-depth reviews of v2 come out.

Meh... I hate buying gadgets, I always feel I've chosen the wrong one!!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
I've used tomtom for the past 4/5 years on a pda - got a v2 ONE 2 weeks ago and have to say wish I'd swopped earlier.

I have joined you Ian. I bought the TomTom v2 Europe last week, which cost less than buying a new PDA and TT6 upgrade (Europe) and am very impressed by its effectiveness. I have the full pgpsw speed zoned database (21 files) and it hardly slows it down at all. I'm just waiting for the Brodit vent mount to come out - I'm not sure how long the window sucker will last!
I haven't found any problems with TT1 so far, and the NavTeq mapping is much better than the TeleAtlas on TT5- all the errors which I noted around Swansea are correct on the NavTeq map on TT1
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: