Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I've just tried my now fully charged Nuvi in the car and it picked up alerts immediately... but after a few minutes lost them!
Obviously the charger problem here too then?
I haven't got as much patience as a lot of you seem to have so I'm going to give Garmin 2 weeks to sort it out, and if they haven't I'm returning it and going to TT
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not willing to wait for Garmin to send you a newer car charger (what's the number codes on the label on your current charger?) then you might want to take it back to Halfords and see if they have any newer stock with the newer car charger...
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixie68 wrote:
I live in Lincoln which I understand is a blackspot?
My question is this: is there anyone on this forum that lives in or near Lincoln - and if so, do you know would I have to drive to to test if my TMC is working?
So, where near Lincoln does it work so I can test it out?

Cheers

Dixie,

I too live in the blackspot of Lincoln. I often travel to Nottingham and normally have traffic once I get towards Saxondale Island A46 / A52 Junction and keep it into Nottingham on the way back I normally keep it nearly to Newark. Alternatively I have had traffic around the M18 / A15 junction.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

len73 wrote:
Unfortunately the GTM10 type fix wont work for those of us with StreetPilot 350/550 ( or the new Nuvi600) as they use the GTM21 which is a combined power and traffic receiver cable.
Hope Garmin's final fix will take this into consideration
Absolutely (and partly the reason I personally selected the Nuvi over the Streetpilot cxxx models).

Given the GTM21 is only the antenna, I guess they could produce a new model with a "better" car charger built into it, but remember the problems with the weak signal won't be fixed by either the Nuvi solution or a new GTM21.

I'm not sure whether the GTM21 has the same problems as the car charger with the Nuvi - although I've heard a few reports of the GTM21 not producing much traffic, I've not seen the level of complaints that they have been against the Nuvi (implying that the GTM21 hasn't got the same inherent problems of the Nuvi)...

Be interested to hear people's experiences with the Streetpilot range, but in a separate thread please (to keep this one focussed on the Nuvi issue).
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixie68 wrote:
Hmmm... I've just tried my now fully charged Nuvi in the car and it picked up alerts immediately... but after a few minutes lost them!

Dixie,

Was this in Lincs? if roughly where, it appears I may have a problem other than just living in a blackspot.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was trialling Nuvi I found beneficial to turn down the backlight brightness as far as possible. The reason for this is that it reduces the current the charger has to supply meaning more for the GTM (and less noise generated). Problem I found was that Nuvi defaults to max brightness when the charger is plugged in.
Peter20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Southwell, Notts and my Nuvi 310/GTM12 does not get any traffic info locally. If I drive to Nottingham I get traffic information.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Final fix? Reply with quote

I was told by a Garmin employee this (6025 cable) isn't the final fix - (its not a new lead anyway some people have had this all the time).

"We have a new power cable but it is not the long term fix this is why we have not sent out the power cables automatically. I will happily send you one, if you can let me know how you get on with it"

Maybe he is wrong though?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe - I got a similar response last week regarding the 6025 charger, but got the updated information yesterday that it was the final fix.
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capsecum wrote:
Dixie68 wrote:

Dixie,

Was this in Lincs? if roughly where, it appears I may have a problem other than just living in a blackspot.

Yes, near Scampton, but I didn't have a signal for long and then when it went it didn't come back. And it's the only time it's worked
len73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing:

The c550 with GTM21 has exactly the same problems as the Nuvi.

Run indoors on a 12v powe pack and traffic is there within seconds and stays up, constantly updating, for hours. Move to either of our 2 cars and sometimes it's OK, the Status LED on the power lead is more often yellow rather than green. I think it's not good enough to warrant ceasing my old Trafficmaster Freeway sub just yet.

The ferrite cores Garmin sent me made little or no difference.

Len
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there another "fix" in the pipe line, or as has been said earlier that there are no more modifications and thats your lot ?
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There had better be a fix that works. Paying £300 for a traffic alert GPS that doesn't alert you to traffic is like buying a new car that hasn't got wheels!
This is pathetic - why are they allowed to release a product that simply does not work? Grrrr
Mine had traffic info for all of a few seconds and hasn't worked since. I get a level of about 8 on some stations but the unit ignores them and goes onto stations with levels of 1 or 2, resulting in no traffic alerts!!
We should all send a mass-email to Garmin telling them that this isn't good enough, and that if they don't fix it soon (or at LEAST tell us what they are doing to fix it) then we will all be asking for our money back.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

len73 wrote:
The c550 with GTM21 has exactly the same problems as the Nuvi.
Can we try to keep this thread to the GTM12 and the Nuvi issues, and discuss the c550 / GTM21 in the separate thread I started in this forum? That way it's a lot clearer whether responses like banjo12 and Dixie68 are referring to the GTM12 or 21...
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about the 310D ('D' for 'Doesn't work) with the GTM12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 31 of 44

Jump to: