Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i recon the 70 mph speed limit is way out of date and should be upped to 80 or even 90 on motorways..

then we could all drive sensibly and legally at the same time..

driving too fast for the conditions and exceeding the legal speed limit are two completely dfferent things..

when that 70 was first introduced the average car only did about 75 mph flat out and had brakes that didnt work.. he he he

back then it was a reasonable limit but times and cars have changed.. time we came uptodate with the speed limits i recon..

trog
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The danger is generally not in the speed but in the difference in speed. Therefore I agree on motorways it could be raised, but people will always drive faster than the limit and the authorities will always find it difficult to enforce the “zero tolerance”. Make it 80 and expect people to drive at 90.

Limits on roads where vehicles are coming in the opposite direction or are pulling out from side roads is quite different. Cars may be able to stop more quickly but people’s reaction times are the same and children run out into the road at the speed and regularity.

It should not be the chance of getting caught that makes us drive to the limit but the thought of causing death or injury.

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed on motorways ain't the real problem. Its the difference in speed between the slowest and fastest traffic.

I've seen plenty of cars doing sub 50mph which is a big problem for HGV's (in particular) who are trying to maintain their speed.

Of course this means that a lot of HGV's spend time in the middle lane, effectively leaving just one lane for the vast majority of traffic.

Before we think about raising the sped limit we need to have a minimum, probably 55 for the 70 limit motorways (for cars anyway). Once you get a more uniform traffic flow other ideas like passing either side become possible.

One outcome of this is that enforcement of both maximum and minimum would need to be more rigid.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Make it 80 and expect people to drive at 90"

some would.. but this depends on how the limit is set.. if the limit is set too low folks will exceed it as they do now in large numbers..

if the limit is set at 80 yes the same folks who do 90 now will exceed it.. but allowing for the accepted 10% tolerance most folks would be within the acceptable limits.. very few real law breaker as such would exist..

its bit like pub closing hours.. folks used to over-stay because the closing time was was too early..

and yes we do live in a world where our law makers believe whatever the limit folks will exceed it.. so they set the limit too low to allow for this.. the only downside being a whole bunch of law breakers are created.. he he

set the maximum limit at 90 and few would exceed it..

i know my safe speed.. it has very little to do with legal speed limits.. at 2 am in the morning with empty roads it could well be say 120 mph.. on the same road at different times or conditions it could well be 40 mph or well below the maximim legal limit..

i would also lower some speed limits.. i would also make more of them advisory.. if u cause an accident at above the advisory limit u get nicked for dangerouse driving.. hows about that.. he he

breaking speed limits will never be socially unacceptable like drink driveing is untill the limits themselves are set in a sensible way..

trog
NickC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the original question about the mobile camera locations being a waste of time (I've just seen th post). I like the fact that I'm being warned that there could be a speed camera there. I'm quite likely to be speeding (although I'm not proud of it) and that warning will get me to slow down, even if a camera is more than likely not going to be there. I've seen that mobile cameras have started to appear on the estate I live and will be posting their locations when I find out how to do it!!! :D
dllegal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Mobile Enforcement Units Reply with quote

Isn't the answer to have a dual database - keep the existing mobile database but add in an active mobiel database
(See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46841 just opened)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: