Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanNavigator remember the system is based on a Microsoft operating system with all the dodgyness that that entails.

Try doing a factory reset (battery to off) and reinstall the Medion and POIWarner software, as those on their own have proved to be reliable. Check this out for a few days, and if you still have problems it could be hardware related.

If thats ok, then start adding back any other software you have one by one, leaving it a few days between each to check the stability.

You'll probably find its down to one application that has replaced half the dll's in the Windows directory with older ones, just as can happen on Windows desktop machines. The Medion runs Pocket PC 2003 which has only just come out, so lots of commercial and shareware will contain older DLL's and some of the installers are pretty crap and will just overwrite things.

Cheers
---Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, I have a Medion review system that has nothing but the Medion Navigator s/w on it and it's fine except it doesn't like being switched off whilst running, otherwise it's fine. The Medion/Navigon s/w is OK, far from great bit for the price it's a great starter pack and will happily run better software such as TomTom Navigator fine Thumbs Up
UrbanNavigator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys, I've already complained to the author of two of the packages as they throw up an install error saying the software is not compatible with the operating system. POI Warner didn't show an error, neither did the Medion Navigator, so I'll hard reset and try just those.

Maybe a reminder to the authors of the other programs will send them back to their code? BTW, both claim to be Pocket PC 2003 versions.
toxicated101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: slightly off topic Reply with quote

I have the aldi pda, and was wanting to add a bluetooth SDIO card. As far as I can see there are 2, one made by socket and one by toshiba. The socket card requires the pda to support SDIO Now! I was wondering if any body knew if the medion supported SDIO now. I know this is off topic, but I am having lots of problems trying to find out anything about it. Also if the ALDI Medion is a rebadged pda, does anybody know the model and make ?

thanks

Matt
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toxicated101 we have a SDIO WLAN card for an iPAQ1920 at work. I'm back tomorrow so I'll try it in the Medion. Should at least be able to tell if its recognised as an IO card even if the HP specific software doesn't work.

Cheers
---Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Medion is a re-badged Mitac Mio, HTH.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased to say that the Medion does have a fully working SDIO socket, so it should be possible to use a large number of add on cards such as WLAN and BlueTooth. But of course not at the same time as the SatNav as the memory card with the maps on it has to be removed.

I plugged in the Socket SDIO WLAN card, installed the software from the site, entered our WAP key and after a couple of soft resets, was able to access the company wireless network. A test of web browsing from the toilets was performed sucessfully :D

Cheers
---Dave
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The Medion is a re-badged Mitac Mio, HTH.

There doesn't seem to be an exact match with any of the current MIO's, the 338plus is looks to be the closest with an almost identical hardware spec (different case styling of course) but is still down as being Pocket PC 2002 - although that would be the easiest thing to change.

I've been informated that the Medion is also the same as the
Yakumo PDA delta 400, which despite the name is a German comany. Its probably also manufactured by Mitac, but the spec is identical and so is the cradle. The is being very slightly different but everything in the same place as you can see below.

Cheers
---Dave
cloudzilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

druck wrote:
I'm pleased to say that the Medion does have a fully working SDIO socket, so it should be possible to use a large number of add on cards such as WLAN and BlueTooth. But of course not at the same time as the SatNav as the memory card with the maps on it has to be removed. <snip>

Really?!!? I spoke to the support line for the Aldi bundle and they said the slot definitely wasn't an SDIO Now! compatible one!!!!

I think I'll try one in a shop and then ask Santa.... oh, hang on, I've missed him!

Pete
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the Medion is not SDIO compliant. Another good sign of this is Medion do not show this in their specs, and manufacturers usually shout out loud if their Pocket PC's are SDIO compliant. Also most of the reviews stipulate that the SD slot is not SDIO compliant.
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not SDIO compliant? I guess the reviewers have not actually tried the slot.

I have been using mine with a Sandisk SDIO WLAN card and it works flawlessly! Its great browsing the internet anywhere in the house and I've got it working with ActiveSync as well - had to mess with the registry as I don't have a Wireless Access Point. I'm doing it peer-peer.

So we know its compatible with

Sandisk SDIO WLAN
Socket SDIO WLAN

I can't see it not working with a Bluetooth card?

Unfortunately only having one slot means you give up 256MB, but I believe a newer vesion of te Sandisk card is coming out with a built in 256MB as well as WLAN.

Not a big deal - I've got round this by mapping a network drive to my PC and using that for extra storage when in the house, and also creating a small 2MB map of my city and storing that on the internal memory of the Medion.

Works perfectly - I can now navigate as well as go WLAN 'War Driving' Laughing Wink Thumbs Up

Drew
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, Medion make no mention of it at all in their spec charts.
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Lets face it - the Medion bundle is not aimed at technogeeks. Its not even aimed at people with access to a PC (hence the 2 x 256MB SD cards ready loaded with maps and Navigon, sorry, Medion Navigator software)

Its a plug and play job with one purpose in life - in car voice guided Sat Nav.

I guess those features are all they will undertake to support on their hotline.

But the fact is its a top end PDA with SDIO/MMC, 400MHz XSCALE, 64MB, etc and will do anything a top end IPAQ can do!

And its very slim, very bright display, and weighs all! Thumbs Up

Andy
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who is interested in an SDIO WiFi card. They tend to be very expensive in the UK (between £100-£130)

I recommend a USA seller on ebay who ships them to the UK for around £65.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=307103297

Delivery is very quick and insured - I got mine in 3 days. Thumbs Up

Drew
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that ebay link is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071032976&category=44996.

Otherwise just search for 'SDIO WiFi'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: