Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - AA Navigator All-in-One TMC 2006 Views
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

AA Navigator All-in-One TMC 2006 Views

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwfc0907
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: AA Navigator All-in-One TMC 2006 Views Reply with quote

Anybody got any good or bad views on the above SatNav system? Do you know anybody who has one. What do they think?
you_reds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought the Nav-Cam 7500EU TMC. Its the first GPS device I have purchased and the only one I have ever used, so I cannot compare it to anything else. I have only had it for a few days, but first impressions are very good indeed. The unit itself is very neat, about the same size as a PDA. The touch screen works very well and the stylus stores away in its own little slot on the side. The box contents include: the unit, mains charger, car charger, windscreen/dash mount, 1Gb SD card, FM antenna (for TMC function), earphones (it can also play MP3's), and a DVD containing manuals and back-up files & maps.

The search functions work OKish (it can be a bit long winded to find your destination if you dont know the postcode), but you can easily find your way around the maps (15 of which are included on the supplied 1Gb SD card). I've only tested it once on a journey but the directions were absolutely spot-on, with very quick re-routing if you choose to go a different way.

The device includes directional speed camera warnings, and again these are very accurate. Obviously not all the mobile locations are manned all the time, but its very reassuring to be warned all the same. Incidently, you only get a warning if you are travelling over the speed limit for that particular area. I dont know if all GPS units do this but its a nice touch anyway.

I havent had a chance to test the traffic management (TMC) system yet so I cant comment on this.

As for the downsides, well, the POI sites seem a bit 'random'. By that I mean, for example, activating 'bars & pubs' or 'restaurants' and it will find some, but completely miss others, so again, if you dont know the postcode then you're a bit stuffed. I dont know if its possible to update the POI's, or to add your own, ie there isnt a 'petrol station' or 'football ground' catagory. but if I could add one, then I would. Speed camera updates are available from the products website (you get 6 months free, then its a very reasonable £30 per year), but they dont seem to update the POI's. I have emailed Nav-Cam tech support on this issue but so far have not received a response.

So, all in all, I have to say I'm very impressed by this system. I've got it on a months trial, but its fair to say I'll be keeping it. By the way it cost me £300, which sounds a lot, but as I was very close to buying a Road Angel Plus for around £230-£250, then an extra £50-£80 for all the extra fuctionality PLUS the speed camera warnings PLUS the Euro mapping made it seem like a good deal. Now, if only I could sort out the POI's.......

Hope this helps,

Rob.
see-ell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have also been using the Nav-Cam for just over three weeks now, clocking up about 1500 miles per week. I am generally impressed with it.

The maps seem to be accurate with a nice 3D view (my favourite mode) and voice instructions are good except for very complicated junctions where the 3D display generally irons out any confusion.

The camera detection is OK. I like the Nav-Cam's ability to ignore fixed camera positions on the 'other' side of the road. However it reports nearby mobile camera positions located on parallel roads. This leads to confusion and panic when travelling on unfamiliar roads.

TMC seems to be ok. I have found that the wire antenna needs to be fitted vertically to the far right hand side of the windscreen for optimum reception. (Especially when driving cars with heated screens!!). Even then there seems to be 'dead spots' where I get no TMC updates. This however seems to be common with other TMC systems and the only answer would appear to be an external antenna.

Petrol stations are missing from POI's. In my opinion, this is a serious omission and I have contacted Evesham re. this. I have been informed that AA are aware of this and that an update may be available, but noone knows when.

In conclusion I have been generally happy with the Nav-Cam over the last few weeks. TMC has helped on a few occasions with the Nav-Cam re-routing me around a jam on the M25. However I still keep my ears open to traffic reports on the radio and my trusty paper map by my side.

I am in the process of writing a review of this when time allows.

Hope this helps too.
see-ell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have published my Evesham 7500 TMC with AA Navigator S/W review at http://www.cn-l.com/nav-cam/nav-cam-review.htm if anyone is interested.
Matt_AANavigator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind reviews. With respect to the specific stuff you folks have mentioned:

Yup, petrol stations should be on the device. I have the dubious honour of being the developer who broke them. If you can post/PM me the version of the software you have on your card (check settings, about), I may be able to fix things up for you on the sly. Can't comment about the availability of an official patch, as I don't deal with that side of things.

Our POI's come from the Navteq UK and European dataset, and unfortunately they don't keep it as up-to-date as their mapping data - this is an issue that affects everyone who uses Navteq data. Cameras are updated monthly because our camera data supplier has little men on scooters out verifying the location of cameras pretty much every day. The POI data, on the other hand, is updated sort of semi-annually.

We'd love to give you access to custom POIs. Support for user-generated POIs is on my list of things to do. Unfortunately, it's been there for over a year, and keeps getting bumped for more pressing things. It's making a late surge up the charts though, so there may even be something out before Christmas.

The whip antenna for the TMC receiver *really* needs to be set up as described in the manual (vertical and at least 5cm from any metal edge). A bloke from the company who makes the receiver tried to explain the physics behind this - he got as far as "FM signal polarization" before my eyes glazed over. Even correctly installed, there are loads of blackspots around the country - thank you Classic FM Rolling Eyes
If you're suitably motivated, you can install a splitter which will patch the TMC receiver into your car radio antenna. This will *vastly* improve TMC reception. Support may be able to help you find one of these.

regards
Matt
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a navcam for review at the moment so a review shoud be coming soon

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: